Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2014, 06:49:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332705 Posts in 13630 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Science Girls! (crossplatform indie RPG)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Science Girls! (crossplatform indie RPG)  (Read 3520 times)
Spiky Caterpillar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: May 31, 2009, 07:05:44 PM »

Your school has been invaded by aliens, and only the Science Club can save the day! 

In Science Girls, you (that would be the girl in the mask at left) guide the rest of the Science Club as they...

...  battle alien monsters ...

... rescue your friends...

...  examine strange devices...

...  explore an alien world...

...  and, with your leadership, defeat the aliens!

The demo is available from http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/ for Windows, Linux, and MacOS X (as, of course, is the full version - and you can load your demo save in the full build).  Enjoy!

(Oh, and a features list: play in fullscreen or in windowed mode.  Savegames are fully compatible between Linux, MacOS, and Windows versions.  Full keyboard control is available (if you don't like mice - or if your cat insists on sitting on the mouse), and full mouse control is also available (for when the cat gets tired of sitting on the mouse and decides to nap on the keyboard.).  You save anywhere (well, except while actually fighting a monster.), raise character powers, and move characters around in your party whenever you wish.)
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2009, 07:29:44 PM »

Hrmm...

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2009, 07:52:54 PM »

One of our editors (if you're reading this board, you know which one) recently finished up this indie RPG and we've got a review in editing.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 01:01:50 AM »

Hrmm... awaiting review.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 07:19:55 PM »

I know it kinda got lost in the shuffle with all the E3 coverage, but the review was posted yesterday. 

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Science_Girls!/index.html

Long and short of it: I really wanted to like the game, but I didn't. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 08:24:06 PM »

Too bad about the review, this game looked really interesting too.

Oh well.  ._.

Not everything creative can also be good.

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 09:25:58 PM »

Unfortunately, sometimes length is important.  It's hard to make a game pretty good if it's too short to make it a cohesive experience.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2009, 10:18:12 PM »

Sometimes it's more in how the time is used.  For example, that award-winning PSX RPGM game Remote Control was only about 3 hours long, but it was an excellent 3 hours.  I got a good feel for the characters and the game, as a whole, was thoroughly engaging for its entirety.  Great mini-games too.  I think I beat that one at least 10 times.

And let's not forget Trace Memory.  That game was only 4-7 hours long and I think it's still one of the best DS games ever made.    In other words, short is not necessarily an excuse, since some short games can pack a lot of awesome into them. 

I wanted to like Science Girls!, but ultimately it was a blah experience.    
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 03:30:50 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Tropico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 01:51:32 PM »

I just finished going through Science Girls. And while I usually find RPGfan's reviews and commentary to be relatively spot-on, I had to de-lurk and register just to ask what you guys were smoking when you wrote the Science Girls review.

Multiple difficulty levels would have been a fantastic feature in this game. The game in its current form could be hard mode, since some players would justify the balancing as hardcore or old-school difficulty.

Uh... the game DOES have different difficulty levels. They are called Elementary, Standard, and Graduate. You are asked to choose from one of these when you start a new game.

Moreover, having chosen "Standard" difficulty, I found the whole thing very light and easy to play. The fights are smooth and done with very quickly while still providing a decent challenge. The monster's hp are well in line with the damage the girls can do with their special attacks, and it's very easy to go into "phalanx" mode to recharge your mana when you run out. The girls' attacks have a great variety between them and you can often combine them in ways that complement each other and let you take down big bosses fast and easy, as long as you put even a small amount of thought into it.

As for items, they are generally weak yes, but they were plentiful throughout the game and I had no trouble keeping all the girls' mana store regularly filled. Healing directly from items is barely worth it, but Jennifer's (the healer's) healing abilities are strong enough to more than make up for that, and you never feel like you're out of resources or struggling in any way.

In fact, I got through the whole thing so smoothly that I was constantly considering whether to start over on "Graduate" difficulty (and probably will play it again in that mode now).

Now, I don't know what's going on here... but the only thing I can think of is that you played either a beta version of the game that was subsequently updated and polished into something almost completely different, or the game was actually released as you describe but was then quickly patched (which I doubt happened, since Hanako posts all updates on their news page and there is nothing there about anything like that... and besides which, inserting difficulty levels into a game that was not designed from the beginning to have them involves massive amounts of work and can't just be "patched in" like that).

I just can't imagine that you actually played the same game that I did (because, well, what kind of a reviewer misses the difficulty settings, for pete's sake).

Either way, I think an update to the review is critically in order, because as it stands it's simply inaccurate, and wholly misleading of the game it's supposed to be reviewing.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: