Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:46:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327872 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FF IV The After Years
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: FF IV The After Years  (Read 8568 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2009, 10:48:08 PM »

The only thing I hate is the title. "The After Years"? Sounds like some cheesy ass soap.

TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 01:22:43 AM »

Finished the main part of the game. It was only a few hours, but it was sweet, and I enjoyed it the whole time and did leave me wanting more. I'm not real fond of the episodic release structure, but I'll shell out money to play through them all. I'm glad it did not suck.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 01:25:51 AM »

I wound up grabbing anyway because of the positive reception elsewhere. I really wish they went full blown into making it look like an SNES game rather than leaving the Cellphone graphics alone yet put in Widescreen support and high resolution text/menu stuff, it just makes it feel cheap. Despite this, it is evocative enough of 16-bit RPGs that it's enjoyable to play.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 01:51:18 AM »

The only thing I hate is the title. "The After Years"? Sounds like some cheesy ass soap.

Ha! I think it sounds like the sequel series to The Wonder Years.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 06:57:20 AM »

I got it, and while I think it's a good idea, I'm kinda shocked at how much they reused. The music, the artwork, everything except for a few new sprites, were just rehashes from the original. Don't get me wrong, Uematsu's soundtrack was glorious for back in its day, but now there are a million other composers who could do some work in the same style just to add some newness and variety to the mix... then throw some of the original tracks in at various times for nostalgia.

Reality check... this couldn't have taken a team of 3 people with an old editor more than a month to make.

Mega Man 8 was one thing... the team started from scratch and created all new everything: artwork, music, weapons, but using the technology and style of the original games. FFIV:TAY bearily adds any new artwork (maybe a few new battle backgrounds) or music (none so far), so I'm kinda disappointed. In 2009 it really doesn't feel much different than a college student going to town with RPG Maker.

Still, I'm enjoying it, and it is interesting to experience the same content in a new way. I just wish that they had created some new elements (while keeping the technology in tact, of course).

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 06:57:40 AM »

Wow, it's $32 total to get all the chapters.

Nope.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 07:50:37 AM »

I find it kind of amusing to be upset about that price point. I mean, that's around the cost of the average DS title, and significantly less than most of SE's. Mind, it'd also be nice if they put a bit more thought into this, but it's not like My Life As King where you're paying 5 dollars for more dungeons... you'll never visit. You just send people to them then hear them talk about it afterwards. It's hard to say you're not getting a decent deal with The After Years chapters compared to THAT.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 08:37:42 AM »

This is when we get to the point about pricing for DLC again.  I'd have no problem spending 32 beans for a boxed copy of the game, but that price for /JUST/ DLC is kinda fucked.  Maybe...  Twenty bucks for the whole thing, but...  Yikes.

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 08:40:52 AM »

Well, I've justified spending $30 so far on Fallout 3 expansions, so I can easily buy this if it's good enough. The only thing that pisses me off is how the Wii has no ability to let you trial a game.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 02:40:17 PM »

The total cost of the game with all its add-ons will be $37. Considering that it's retro goodness and -- in my books -- a more enjoyable experience than the original FFIV (I'm probably alone on an island about this one), that's a pretty easy buy for me.
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 02:58:35 PM »

I still favor the first game more personally, but to each his own. I couldn't get into After Years initially, but turned out great towards the end for me.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 08:53:00 PM »

The total cost of the game with all its add-ons will be $37. Considering that it's retro goodness and -- in my books -- a more enjoyable experience than the original FFIV (I'm probably alone on an island about this one), that's a pretty easy buy for me.

Maybe it depends on how long the chapters are.  I mean, if I get, like, 60 hours out of everything combined...  Yeah, that'd probably be okay.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 09:00:25 PM »

I'd be fine with 30-ish. That winds up being an hour per dollar, and compared to a lot of modern non-RPGs that's a pretty good deal. Then again something like 20 may be ideal simply so I don't have to spend forever on it.

Anyways, unless this somehow amazes me this definitely isn't topping IV. It's meant as nostalgic fan service to a game that isn't some artistic vision that will be ruined by a sequel, and it's doing it's job pretty well. The fact most assets are essentially recycled and not in an interesting fashion like Majora's Mask did pretty much makes it lose by default.
Wingman

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2009, 08:58:09 PM »

Bought it earlier today, but didn't get to mess with it much. I am really liking how it feels like the old SNES game, though. Looking forward to playing more.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2009, 02:15:05 AM »

Downloading it now.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: