Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 03:24:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327135 Posts in 13390 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  New Monkey Island
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: New Monkey Island  (Read 4711 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:57 PM »

New Monkey Island
http://www.giantbomb.com/tales-of-mo...railer/17-716/

Original game receiving high-definition facelift for 360, PC as Telltale Games readies all-new Tales of Monkey Island episodic series on Wii, PC.

In 2000, LucasArts released Escape from Monkey Island for the PC, putting the saga of Guybrush Threepwood (and in many ways the company's legacy of adventure gaming) behind it. Nearly a decade later, the publisher is returning to the shores of Monkey Island and it's bringing a friend with it. LucasArts today announced that it will release The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition, a PC and Xbox 360 remake of the original 1990 game, and is teaming up with Telltale Games to produce all-new episodic installments in the series for PC and Wii.

This summer, the Special Edition version of the original game will give a new generation of gamers the chance to experience the humor-driven adventure game with a handful of alterations. First and foremost, the game is being given a high-definition 2D visual overhaul. (It's optional though, so players can switch between new and original graphics on the fly.) Additionally, LucasArts is including a new hint feature to prevent gamers from getting stuck and reinserting some "deleted scenes."
While the Special Edition revisits the original game, Tales of Monkey Island will contribute new chapters to the seminal simian adventure series. Starting later this year, five monthly chapters will tell yet another yarn about the ghost pirate LeChuck's undying feud with Threepwood. The game is in familiar hands, with a number of the development team having experience on previous Monkey Island games. Telltale is also no stranger to the episodic adventure game format, having produced Bone, Sam & Max, StrongBad, and most recently Wallace & Grommit series

Tales of Monkey Island - NEW

-Official Website
- Created by Telltale games (Sam and Max, Strongbad, Wallace and Gromit)
- WiiWare and PC
- 5 Episodes
- Monkey Island 2 Era Guybrush

- Episode List:

- Launch of the Screaming Narwhal
    - The Siege of Spinner Cay
    - Lair of the Leviathan
    - The Trial and Execution of Guybrush Threepwood
    - Rise of the Pirate God
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 01:21:46 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 03:47:50 PM »

Gonna get this for the PC. :P

I love MI.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2009, 06:24:38 PM »

I'll get both. I was just talking the other day how the consoles needed more adventure games of the humorous kind.
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2009, 07:38:00 PM »

This is awesome news! Telltale games did a really good job with Sam & Max IMO, so if Monkey Island had to fall into anyone's hands, I'm glad it is theirs.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »

Ideally I'd want to see this given back to Ron Gilbert, but this is far better than damn near every other alternative.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2009, 09:49:08 PM »

If they could remake Full Throttle in the smae way, I could die a somewhat happy man.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009, 01:04:57 PM »

Episode 1 is out today, but it looks like Telltale's website is collapsing under the weight of visitors waiting for it to be released! Their forums have been taken down and the website is having a few problems.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »

I keep looking for it on WiiWare, but it's never there. I've seen two release dates for the WiiWare version... July 7 and July 13. Both those dates have come and gone.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 03:37:56 PM »

I keep looking for it on WiiWare, but it's never there. I've seen two release dates for the WiiWare version... July 7 and July 13. Both those dates have come and gone.

Guesses by IGN or something? I figure it'd have been here yesterday though.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:04:39 PM »

Special Edition is out on Steam and XBLA now. I'd get it but my stupid bank temporarily cancelled my debit card after I bought Fate of Atlantis on Steam earlier this week!
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009, 09:31:12 PM »

I bought the special edition. It's SO awesome to see this game like this. I have one small complaint that when there's a CLOSEUP cutscene, it's actually just a static picture where the eyes or some other small facial feature moves very little, but it's only at those time it happens and it's a small complaint in an otherwise great remake.

Still waiting for the new one to appear on Wiiware...
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »

Found this on artgrafi dot com:

The reason Tales of Monkey Island: Launch of the Screaming Narwhal still hasn’t launched on WiiWare is because a release date hasn’t been finalized with Nintendo yet, according to the latest update from developer Telltale Games. The news comes as Telltale is contacting media outlets about the WiiWare version, which will be shown at next week’s Comic-Con in San Diego.

"The Tales of Monkey Island series premiere release is expected very soon [on WiiWare]," said the company in an e-mail. "We’re working with Nintendo on finalizing this date and expect to have news to share shortly."

Having finished the first episode in Tales of Monkey Island, there’s very good reason for Wii fans to be demanding a release date: the game’s really damn good.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2009, 01:43:48 PM »

I'm just going to assume that this is the hybrid Tales/Secret SE thread, because I plan to post about Secret SE.

I like the new graphics, the fact that it's fully voice acted, and the fact that it's a super deal at $10.  I don't like the fact that they've taken away the inventory and action types from the main screen.  It makes the game look better, and, yes, you can change what your action is with the d-pad, but it's still not quite as functional as the way it was in the old days.  Still, 1000000% worth buying, go buy it so that they do the same thing for DotT or Maniac Mansion.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2009, 03:08:57 PM »

It's also pretty annoying that you can't use mouse-only controls on the PC, you have to press a key to open the inventory. And more annoyingly so, the inventory closes every time you try to combine items.

If anyone else is thinking of getting it, bear in mind that 360 version is only ~500mb but the PC version is >2gb (the audio and artwork are all uncompressed) and you could be downloading forever just for the sake of poorly implemented mouse control.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2009, 05:38:14 PM »

go buy it so that they do the same thing for DotT or Maniac Mansion.

And Full Throttle! I so wish they'd re-release this. It'd be hard to do though as one of the best things about Full Throttle for me was the voice actor that did the voice of Ben, and he died years ago. I guess they could update the other actors' dialog and just remaster his old voicework or something.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: