Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 09:08:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334806 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  EA: Girls, your value is as vapid fashionistas
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: EA: Girls, your value is as vapid fashionistas  (Read 9003 times)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2009, 04:35:57 PM »

more girls designing games is a must. you know theres a reason games like phantasy star and valkyrie profile have a lot of female fans. my sister even likes to play tomb raider games. im curious if skies of arcadia had a female designer cause my sister likes that game too. my sister once said that zelda looks like a cool but it would be cool if you got to play as zelda and have to rescue link.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2009, 04:47:45 PM »

It would be interesting to see the game equivalent of the Badass Family. ^  ^

Some think there are only men that are this perverted, but there is "shotacon" as well. I read that started out as something innocent. Girls saw cute young boys characters like Shotaro from Tetsujin 28-go in anime and manga and felt motherly feelings towards them. You know, wanting to hug them and bake them cookies. Totally innocent. Of course, this is Japan we're talking about... it soon devolved into something sexual. Now shotacon is pretty much a type of manga that depicts a sexual relationship between a man and a much younger boy or between two underage boys. Scary.

Someone hasn't been looking hard enough. There's such a thing as straight shota. Take my word for it.

And hey, it's Japan, we might as well call it the Holy Land of Rule 34 or some such.

Anyway, anything can be and will be corrupted, but moe isn't intended that way so it shouldn't be judged on the basis of those who use it for deviant purposes.

Plus, c'mon, what's wrong with liking cute people uh? Must everything always be about the sexy ones?

~My melody of life, rhyming to memento mori...
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2009, 04:48:15 PM »

Alisha- Re: Skies of Arcadia.  Ms. Reiko Kodama is a top producer at Team Overworks, who did Skies.  I believe Kodama was also part of the production team for the Phantasy Star games.  I know you have a *very* sensitive "estrogen antenna" (to borrow a term from an ex-girlfriend) when it comes to this kind of media, so that "woman's touch" mojo you probably felt in Skies and Phantasy was Kodama.  

There are other examples of Japanese writing/media that 100% rock a feminine touch but are never overly girly.   X/1999 is a CLAMP manga, but guys really dig it too.  It's obviously difficult for a man to effectively write a good and genuine female character, but I also think that it's difficult for a woman to effectively write a good and genuine male character, so when I see either done well, I am impressed. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 07:29:01 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2009, 04:54:33 PM »

A really good writter could take anything, even completely alien beings, and yet somehow make them compelling and credible, that's the whole point of it actually.

I agree that more female game designers can't possibly hurt the industry, let alone its appeal to people of the female persuasion, but I also don't think that male game designers are necessarily incapable of producing quality games with a female target audience.

I'm pretty sure Japan does it on a regular basis, it's just that the West has yet to catch up on taking this audience seriously.

But then again, it'd sure help if they were more of 'em to go around...

Plus it'd probably result in some pretty interesting, and unique, games.

Hopefully whatever happens, we see less and less of the crap that EA announced this E3. -_-;

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2009, 05:03:46 PM »

A *really good* writter could take anything, even completely alien beings, and yet somehow make them compelling and credible, that's the whole point of it actually.

Exactly, but not every writer out there is George RR Martin or Margaret Mitchell. :P  The former writes excellent female characters in his A Song of Ice and Fire books and the latter penned Rhett freakin' Butler in Gone with the Wind.  Perhaps the issue is that many male writers write women to the male ideal and that many female writers write men to the female ideal?  That's something to think about.

Either way, I think it's the indie scene where more progressive cultural shifts in gaming can occur.  I think I mentioned Amanda Fitch at Amaranth Games and Georgina Bensley at Hanako Games.  I am certain there are more out there, but I'd need to do a LOT more digging.

Bottom line- surmounting these kinds of cultural obstacles is not impossible.  But it will be difficult and certainly not an overnight process.  I hope I can see some of this happen while I'm still alive and conscious.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 06:18:20 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Danakir

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2009, 05:07:41 PM »

Well, there's another one I know but her games are.... decidedly mediocre.

Flash game mediocre.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »

It would be interesting to see the game equivalent of the Badass Family. ^  ^

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/home/587404.html

Edit: also this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baUoK7h2rN4&feature=related

Double Edit for Boneheadedness: also also these

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJStlMr1AQE

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/genesis/home/586382.html

I could go on but I'm getting tired of re-editing the same post over and over.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 12:07:09 AM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2009, 08:28:22 PM »

There are other examples of Japanese writing/media that 100% rock a feminine touch but are never overly girly.   X/1999 is a CLAMP manga, but guys really dig it too.  It's obviously difficult for a man to effectively write a good and genuine female character, but I also think that it's difficult for a woman to effectively write a good and genuine male character, so when I see either done well, I am impressed. 

CLAMP in general does an awesome job of making their work appeal just enough to guys to make their appeal universal.  In general that's the way to go in games - making games that could appeal to both genders rather than a game that's all about the testosterone.  Unfortunately, those games will be pretty rare until there is a higher percentage of female designers because with a bunch of male designers, the only games for females tend to be the tripe that spawned this thread.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2009, 02:27:38 AM »

I think there are already a lot of games out there that appeal to both genders, especially in the adventure and RPG genres. It's just that most girls wouldn't play them, because gaming in general is still seen as a hobby for males. Thankfully, that is slowly changing. We're already a step beyond pop stars promoting Brain Training, they're now promoting Professor Layton and the Curious Village.
Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2009, 12:21:44 PM »

Mostly unrelated but still interesting: Carol Shaw, designer of River Raid for the 2600 was apparently the first female video game designer. And River Raid is one of the finest and most technically sophisticated on 2600 games too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carol_Shaw_(video_game_designer)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2009, 02:17:53 PM »

And River Raid is one of the finest and most technically sophisticated on 2600 games too.

Lies!!! ALTERNATE REALITY!! ALTERNATE REALITY! BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!1111one

God I hate Alternate Reality.

Reading about how River Raid works on the uh, wikipedia, it DOES sound pretty technically accomplished. So basically all of the attack patterns are procedural?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Willy Elektrix
Lord of the Sword

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2009, 07:44:38 PM »

And River Raid is one of the finest and most technically sophisticated on 2600 games too.

Lies!!! ALTERNATE REALITY!! ALTERNATE REALITY! BEST GAME EVER!!!!!!!!1111one

God I hate Alternate Reality.

Reading about how River Raid works on the uh, wikipedia, it DOES sound pretty technically accomplished. So basically all of the attack patterns are procedural?

Apparently, although I think that it is procedural only as far as it is stored on the cartridge. It's the same every time you play, I think that it is just generated with a consistent random seed rather than having a bunch of levels "stored". Does that make sense?
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2009, 05:01:09 PM »

My new 50-something co-workers also like Hannah Montana. They also think that switching to all digital cable, and banning trans-fat containing oils in restaurants are the first steps to becoming a Communistic society.

FML.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2009, 07:34:20 PM »

My new 50-something co-workers also like Hannah Montana.

People that age like Hannah Montana, because they have teenage girls around the age of Miley Cyrus and approve of that sort of wholesome entertainment for their teens.  And since Hannah Montana is on Disney, I believe that actors on Disney and Nickelodeon series are required by contract to maintain a squeaky clean image off-camera as well since they're role models... of course that doesn't always happen.  Note, the Jamie Lynn Spears pregnancy scandal. 

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: