Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:06:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FF7 downloadable on PSN TODAY!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: FF7 downloadable on PSN TODAY!  (Read 14479 times)
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2009, 02:20:59 AM »

This is great, I'm really excited to be able to play this on the go without having to resort to a modded PSP. Now all I need is Suikoden II and the wait for PSP to be 100% worth it will be complete.

Sucks that it eats over a gig of space on a memory stick though. Looks like I should order a 16 gb stick soon.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2009, 02:49:41 AM »

Now all I need is Suikoden II and the wait for PSP to be 100% worth it will be complete.

Suikoden II on PSN would bring happy tears to my eyes.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 01:33:30 PM »

Yeah, Suikoden II would be AMAZING.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2009, 03:35:31 PM »

Sucks that it eats over a gig of space on a memory stick though. Looks like I should order a 16 gb stick soon.

Amazon has them for around 75 dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MSMT16G-Memory-Stick-Mark2/dp/B0013AX2HO/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1244057694&sr=8-5
Retail is about 100.

Anyway, this really doesn't mean anything to me. Hacked PSP ftw!
Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2009, 08:12:21 PM »

Really, how many people don't own this game by now? I'm not supporting SE financially until they show that they are actually making an effort toward innovatiing.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2009, 08:17:23 PM »

Really, how many people don't own this game by now? I'm not supporting SE financially until they show that they are actually making an effort toward innovatiing.

I'd say I'd rather have this than a crappy port with trivial extras, but a new localization would've been VERY welcome.

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it this IS the kind of thing I want to support. I don't want them constantly remaking games or porting them with dubious results, I'd rather receive the games in their original form (roughly) and have them save the serious effort and funds for all new games.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2009, 09:38:35 PM by Eusis » Logged
Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2009, 10:26:35 AM »

a new localization would've been VERY welcome.
Agreed.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2009, 12:49:53 PM »

I only just bought it this year for the first time.

I'd say I'd rather have this than a crappy port with trivial extras, but a new localization would've been VERY welcome.

Edit: Actually, the more I think about it this IS the kind of thing I want to support. I don't want them constantly remaking games or porting them with dubious results, I'd rather receive the games in their original form (roughly) and have them save the serious effort and funds for all new games.

Agreed

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2009, 03:14:07 PM »

On a different but similar note.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174622

It looks like MGS is joining FFVII on the PSN.

It's about time they started putting games worth getting on the PSN out here. I can only hope they get Einhander and/or Suikoden II up there soon.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2009, 10:54:07 PM »

1up Retro Roundup write-up by Jeremy Parish. Also a compelling argument for why a remake may not be a very good thing.
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2009, 11:37:39 PM »

This gives me hope of Final Fantasy IX being released at an afforable price again.

Come to America? Though that's pretty far from a practical solution.

HOLY SHIT! Why is it so much cheaper over there? Damn you NZ, you and your rip-offs.

The UK copies are about the same price... Plus you'd have an easier time being able to run it. :P

1up Retro Roundup write-up by Jeremy Parish. Also a compelling argument for why a remake may not be a very good thing.

Jesus, it's been so long since most of us played the original that we've forgotten just how campy it was. Haven't played Crisis Core, but I'm assuming that's as cut and dry as AC and DC were. It almost seems as if SE *wants* us to forget the original, so that *if* they do touch base again with a remake, it more closely resembles what the Compilation wants to project.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2009, 04:32:44 PM »

I agree 100%. FF7 appeared to be semi-realistic at its time, because the graphics were so much more advanced than most things out there. However, noone's brain was being fooled, things weren't even close to approaching the uncanny valley. So while people could oooh and ahhh over the "realistic" graphics, the game was still quite free from the prisons that realism creates for fantastical situations. Unfortunately, people often associate FF7 with realism because of what it meant to them at the time, and because the PS3 is completely centered around realism, a modern day remake would HAVE TO be made realistic in order to escape huge backlashes from fans. FF7 is a stylized world with stylized characters and stylized events. You can't drag something like that into something that looks like the real world.

The best we could hope for would be a remake with modern-day stylization. Give it a unique stylized feel that looks visually stunning, yet is entirely unrealistic. Use a comic book style, or a hand drawn style like Okami, obviously something that doesn't look too "kiddy" but is going to wow audiences while not becoming too realistic for its own good. Unfortunately, most fans are IDIOTS, and won't realize that there's a problem with "FF7: Realist Version" until it's too late. If S-E was to remake FF7 in ANY OTHER WAY than realism, fans the world over would be blowing their heads off.

The reality is, FF7 is a product of 1997... its unique charm comes not only from its construction, but from where people's heads were at, visually and aesthetically in that era of gaming. Had it been a year later, it would have slipped under the radar... had it been 12 years later (today), and it would be a laughing stock. You can hope for a sequel, you can hope for a spinnoff, but a remake is almost total suicide.

FF9 is a completely different story, and would be the easiest to remake, since it was purposefully stylized to begin with. FF9 drew a lot from Pixar-style cartoon animation (I still stand by the idea that Steiner was modelled after Buzz Lightyear). People would expect a remake to be unrealistic, and there for it would be free to be as zanny and weird as it originally was. Unfortunately, its sales weren't stellar and people aren't as rabbid about that title, since the whole game is a bit more downplayed and less serious than FF7.

FF8 wouldn't gain or lose much, since it's style was basically a prototype for FFX. FF8 was definitely aiming for more realism than FF7, most of the modern FF games being decended from the styles that started with FF8. Would it fair well in the marketplace? Absolutely not. Many diehard FF7 fans have been able to accept FF9 as a worthy title, because it's such a huge stylistic departure, but FF8 is the antichrist as far as a lot of FF fans are concerned. Getting it remade when FF7 was left collecting dust would be a huge slap in the face.

Edit: In reading some of the replies people made to Jeremy's article, people need to stop using the localization as a defense for why some of the writing isn't very good. Sure it's not a great localization, but some of the CONCEPTS in the game are just kind of off, that's what Jeremy was talking about. It's not like the writing of FF7 is the devine work of God and the localization is some cheap rippoff, some of the bad writing is the original's fault too... people are just wearing blinders.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 04:51:33 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2009, 08:05:10 PM »

i think i ruined this game for myself because i bought it after trying the ff8 demo.(i'm a sucker for those pretty summons)also the random'ness factor of the 2nd to last boss always annoyed me.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2009, 08:43:06 PM »

I played and liked FF7 like 8 or 9 years ago, then i moved to other games. I really can't see why people couldn't move from that game.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2009, 09:56:31 PM »

i think i ruined this game for myself because i bought it after trying the ff8 demo.(i'm a sucker for those pretty summons)also the random'ness factor of the 2nd to last boss always annoyed me.

I beat FFVIII and FFIX before I even saw anything related to FFVII ( I didn't have the internet at the time). FFVII still managed to become my favorite of the three PS1 FF games.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: