Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 25, 2014, 11:15:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338370 Posts in 13852 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FF XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: FF XIV!!!  (Read 22384 times)
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 02, 2009, 09:45:41 PM »

This announcement came as a total shocker to me, not the fact that Square-Enix announced an MMORPG, since I had heard previously that they were going to announce one at E3, but that they were to use another main numbered Final Fantasy title for the game. Having recently given Final Fantasy XI a second attempt at playing, and it being a more successful attempt, even, I'm looking forward to jumping into Final Fantasy XIV. I'm unsure which version I would want to play for this one, though, PS3 or PC.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 03, 2009, 04:40:04 AM »

MMO? I'll pass.

I was genuinely excited until I saw that.

+1

The trailer looks great though. Loved that scene with Leviathan. I'm curious to see some in-game footage though I'm not expecting anything that different from FFXI.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2009, 11:37:40 AM »

Damn, the double digit Final Fantasies are really striking out with me. I've been interested in only 10/13, and that's a shame.

MMORPGs are entirely too repetitive for me ;_;

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2009, 12:28:31 PM »

I loved the time i spent playing FFXI, but it too just too much time and effort. So as cool as the idea sounds, i would have to pass this one. I don't have the time for spending half a day waiting for a party invite.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 03, 2009, 12:54:12 PM »

I loved the time i spent playing FFXI, but it too just too much time and effort. So as cool as the idea sounds, i would have to pass this one. I don't have the time for spending half a day waiting for a party invite.

I'm willing to bet money that Square goes a more casual route to make things easier for everyone.  I doubt you will have to worry about that in FF14, but that's just my guess by looking at the MMO market.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 03, 2009, 01:21:13 PM »

Please, for the love of God, abandon fucking PlayOnline and allow for one-click log-ins.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 03, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »

I'm willing to give it a go. I'll bet it's more like WoW than EQ this time around.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 03, 2009, 02:06:18 PM »

All FFXIV needs to do is be slightly more casual and I'll be all over it.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 03, 2009, 02:47:22 PM »

I looked at the trialer with an open mind, and to be totally honest, my reaction was completely "meh". It felt like every other trailier to a generic fantasy RPG: lots of Chancery text telling some boring tale about gods or crystals or dragons or whatnot, a few landscape shots, and a bit of action. I couldn't have put together a more generic trailer if I tried. Don't get me wrong, the final game may be incredible, but they haven't really make a very good case for it yet, IMO.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 03, 2009, 03:57:03 PM »

Please, for the love of God, abandon fucking PlayOnline and allow for one-click log-ins.

http://e3.gamespot.com/story/6210518/square-enix-considering-ffxiv-online-for-xbox-360

They said they are not using PayOnline during their press conference. They also said they are trying to get the game on the 360 as well.

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 03, 2009, 04:21:00 PM »

Well, there went that whole "only for PS3" thing. Smart move by S-E in any case. Platform exclusivity for MMO's is... incredibly dumb.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 03, 2009, 04:48:39 PM »

MMOs stick around for a lot longer than single player games, in fact, their user bases glow quite gradually unlike single player games which tend to have their best sales during the first couple of weeks. With that in mind, it's not critical that they launch for all systems at the same time. If they were to launch it for the PS3/PC and wet people's mouths for a while, when it finally gets released for the 360, it could do very well... so its not surprising that they would choose to concentrate on one console and not another. However, the whole addition of a PC release is VERY strange, I think this will mark the first time we've ever seen a PS3/PC release instead of a 360/PC release, since the 360 and PC are fairly easy to port across, as porting goes.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 03, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »

It's a bit disappointing that they're staying so strongly to the character design of FFXI, almost replicating it in similarity. I hope that the world and overall mechanics of the FFXIV game are different, I was not a fan of FFXI.

Also that press conference about FFIV was worthless, almost nothing was revealed.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 03, 2009, 05:19:57 PM »

They don't need to reveal all at E3.  MMO players will watch the game's website closely, and hype will build on its own over time, starting with speculation based off that trailer.

FFXI is Square's most profitable game ever in the history of the company.  If they get even half of FFXI's subscription numbers, they will rake in more money in less than two years than they would from worldwide sales of FFXIII.  I for one, am excited.  FFXI has gotten a lot easier than it once was, and it is very likely that they'll model WOW's casual-friendly approach instead of the Everquest model for this new MMO, especially with the potential market there is.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 03, 2009, 05:22:07 PM »

Sorry I'm a bit slow, I was at the S-E FFXIV press conference and will have full details on the site soon.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: