Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 28, 2014, 09:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338771 Posts in 13865 Topics by 2217 Members
Latest Member: milz
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FF XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: FF XIV!!!  (Read 22426 times)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2009, 05:54:02 PM »

Day one for me, of course.  Hopefully Uematsu contributes a lot more this time around for the music.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 06:09:57 PM »

The press release ONLY lists Uematsu as the composer at this point. So, could be his big return...?

Square Enix will be revealing more FFXIV information tomorrow, and I WILL BE THERE to report for y'all. There's even a Q&A session I'll be attending. Anyone want to submit questions to me for the FFXIV Q&A?

Also, worthy of note, the art director is the same guy who worked on Vagrant Story and FFXII. Huh...that should bring some difference to the in-game style.

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2009, 06:21:42 PM »

I'm wondering if it'll be free-to-play like Korean MMOs because PSN in free. Well, that'll probably be answered tomorrow anyways.

Anyways, wasn't expecting FFXIV so soon since they plan on milking out the FFXIII series for a while.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2009, 06:33:33 PM »

I don't see why. Just because there's MMO's doesn't invalidate their contributions to the franchise. There's no rule that says FF has to be an offline adventure. In fact, the only rule FF does carry around is the need for an epic scope, and FFXI did provide that.

Final Fantasy Tactics and its later similar entries are named differently, so why should MMOs in the series be exempt from the same naming rule? They can use whatever naming convention they want, but it's silly. 

And I don't do MMOs anymore except for those weird pay for item MMOs that are worth screwing around in for a day or two, so this is a pass for me.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2009, 07:40:07 PM »

NO! The reason why I have never played FFXI is because it's an MMO, and I lack the monthly cash. Now I may never play FFXIV!

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2009, 08:23:09 PM »

The press release ONLY lists Uematsu as the composer at this point. So, could be his big return...?
It's likely.  It's my hope that they learned from FFXI and will have music in every zone, not just some of them (though I think that was a PS2 limitation... the zones with music don't have ambient background noise).

Square Enix will be revealing more FFXIV information tomorrow, and I WILL BE THERE to report for y'all. There's even a Q&A session I'll be attending. Anyone want to submit questions to me for the FFXIV Q&A?
My biggest question: what quarter in 2010 for the release?  Second question: is this taking place in a different time period of Vana'diel, or is this a whole new world with familiar races?  Third question: what steps are being taken to ensure that this game is much more friendly to new players than FFXI was to ensure a larger penetration in the MMO market?
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2009, 08:32:05 PM »

It's exactly the second thing you mentioned from the looks of it: A whole new world with familiar races. We updated our story with a bit of info post-announcement:

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/249.html

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:30 PM »

Yeah, I just read that on the front page and went here to retract that question... too late. =P
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:49 PM »

Don't really do MMOs, but FFXI was genuinely fun a lot of the time, so yeah, I will totally be playing this.

MITHRA WHOO.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2009, 08:33:57 PM »

NO! The reason why I have never played FFXI is because it's an MMO, and I lack the monthly cash. Now I may never play FFXIV!

I don't like the naming purely because I think this should be its own series (sort of), but you should realize that this isn't taking the place of some theoretical offline XIV. Whatever that 'XIV' would be would just be sold as XV, and you wouldn't be crying out like this if they released this as Final Fantasy Online 2.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2009, 08:35:06 PM »

Don't really do MMOs, but FFXI was genuinely fun a lot of the time, so yeah, I will totally be playing this.

MITHRA WHOO.
We need to make sure to set up an official server at launch so we can all play together.  It'll be like PSO.  Sorta.

Granted, this'll be in 2010, but yeah.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2009, 08:39:51 PM »

Oh, totally.  We'll have a nice year to sort things out amongst everyone.  :P

macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2009, 08:41:12 PM »

Yes, I have a question!

Will the game have an offline mode like diablo? so I could alone and switch online to play with people if I want? and please donīt charge us if we want to play it offline.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:42:56 PM by macirex » Logged

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2009, 08:52:49 PM »

Yes, I have a question!

Will the game have an offline mode like diablo? so I could alone and switch online to play with people if I want? and please donīt charge us if we want to play it offline.

Not likely

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2009, 09:09:58 PM »

Yes, I have a question!

Not likely

Or to be more specific, MMOs make most of their profits from subscriptions, so it really isn't in the best interest of a company to make an offline version of what amounts to the same game.  It's also a big security risk since it makes the online component even more susceptible to coding loopholes for obvious reasons (the more data there is on a user's computer, the more vulnerable the code is to exploitation).  So survey says if you don't care for and/or don't want to pay for MMOs, your best bet will be to wait for FFXV.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: