Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 03:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337721 Posts in 13829 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FF XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print
Author Topic: FF XIV!!!  (Read 22298 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 03, 2009, 05:30:39 PM »

Platform exclusivity for MMO's is... incredibly dumb.

Is it necessarily, in this case anyway? Most every MMO has been exclusive to PC, and having it on the PS3 as it is opened it up to a larger audience. Because, like I mentioned (here or in the XIII thread?) there might be some hurdles to overcome with the Xbox or what Microsoft wants done that would require exclusivity. FFXI might've been lucky, for XIV they might be forced into locking people to 360 or PS3/PC kind of like PSU had happen.
macirex

mac_luzer@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 03, 2009, 06:25:08 PM »

I think the fundamental problem for this game to get a port to the 360 is the the hard drive, like most MMORPG, updates are a must. Not only for getting new content but to patch the game in case of bugs or exploits.

This game is pretty much MEH! for me, as Im not much of an online player and if the next iteration of the franchise is also an MMORPG I will give up on the franchise altogether.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 08:31:23 AM by macirex » Logged

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
Mike
Administrator

SHOVEL JUSTICE!

MoonFlareDesign
View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: June 03, 2009, 06:25:55 PM »

It seems as usual this 'exclusive' thing might be meaningless when it comes to FFXIV... too early to say for sure, but that's the impression we got from the press conference:

http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2009/265.html

"Your sins lay heavy upon you, defiler of souls."
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 03, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »

I think the fundamental problem for this game to get a port to the 360 is the the hard drive, live most MMORPG, updates are a must. Not only for getting new content but to patch the game in case of buts or exploits.

How much of a problem is that? My 360 has a hard drive, Homer Customer down the road has a 360 with a harddrive. Last I checked, MOST 360 these days have harddrives. In fact, doesn't one model of the PS3 not include a harddrive as well? Whatever... no matter. Anyone who's out to play MMOs is going to have a 360 with an HD.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 03, 2009, 07:58:09 PM »

It isn't just the hard drive itself, so much as the size of the hard drive.  Most 360 owners have the standard edition, which came with a 20 GB hard drive up until recently.  Final Fantasy XI and all its current expansions barely fit on said 20 GB drive, and that game has PS2-era low resolution textures for its graphics.  Final Fantasy XIV will undoubtedly need more space.

This is further complicated by the fact that you have to buy Microsoft's overpriced, 5400 RPM piece of crap hard drives at $179 for 120 GB if you want the biggest upgrade available.  Meanwhile, I shoved a 250 GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA Western Digital hard drive in my PS3 for like, $65.

All PS3s come with a hard drive.  The low-end 20 GB model was discontinued a long time ago, with the 40 GB model being the low-end right now.  'tis the model I purchased originally.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 08:03:26 PM »

And my 360 is Hard-Driveless. Not all 360s have a HD in it. Doesn't bother me anyways, because if I do get FFXIV, it'll be on my PS3 anyways.

FFXIV is probably just a timed exclusive anyways. S-E didn't say a 360 version was coming out either, so take what everyone is saying with a grain of salt.
Fred Flintstone

Yabba Dabba Doo!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 08:10:58 PM »

Oh yeah, I'd also like to see FFXIV running at 60 FPS as opposed to capped at 30 FPS, which was incredibly laggy.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 08:13:37 PM »

Thanks for the updates, RPGFan.

Tanaka-san was adamant that the games take place in two different fantasy worlds, and that while the races are similar, there may not be a direct correlation between each race from their old MMO to the new MMO. The idea was to allow players of Final Fantasy XI to keep their generic character design intact, should they choose it, to ease them from one MMO to the other.

Their statement was that they plan to simultaneously support both MMORPGs for as long as they can, and as long as the players continue to play Final Fantasy XI, they'll have content ready.

How could anyone take this idea and not immediately conclude that XI is going to be shunned into the dark now, off this information? The impression here is clearly "Well, if you guys want it, we'll do it..." but they clearly expect XI to die out soon after XIV comes out. Obviously they're not going to come out and plain say it.

they want Final Fantasy XIV to be a game that can be enjoyed by casual and hardcore players alike.

The thing is, with Campaign Battle, Fields of Valor, and Allied Notes Items in FFXI, there's plenty of casual content for players to enjoy (Admittedly the trek to level 75 is still ridiculously long, though level sync has remedied that a bit), the problem with FFXI, I feel, has always been with the players wanting to be hardcore players- it'd be pretty silly to make "hardcore" items the same strength as "casual" items, then there'd be no real incentive to be hardcore. I mean, nobody really forces any of the players to go out and seek their Ridills, Excaliburs or Adaberks, if I was casual, I'd go get a suit of Iron Ram Chainmail and then I'd be happy with it.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 08:19:57 PM »

How could anyone take this idea and not immediately conclude that XI is going to be shunned into the dark now, off this information? The impression here is clearly "Well, if you guys want it, we'll do it..." but they clearly expect XI to die out soon after XIV comes out. Obviously they're not going to come out and plain say it.
This is the same stance that SOE took with Everquest when Everquest 2 shipped, and Everquest is still going strong.  Why would they shut down FFXI if the playerbase is still there?  Phantasy Star Online kept on running strong on Dreamcast several years after it was shut down in the US.

If the revenue continues, they'll support it.  You're being a little too pessimistic I think.

if I was casual, I'd go get a suit of Iron Ram Chainmail and then I'd be happy with it.
Speaking of which, when I get back to full internet access and can play again (this weekend), I've gotta get back to campaign and rack up more points in preparation for when the Iron Ram body piece finally releases.  That, and I haven't forgotten those BCNM runs that we need to do.  I'm glad that I'll finally be moving in to my new house starting tomorrow.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 08:28:55 PM »

This is the same stance that SOE took with Everquest when Everquest 2 shipped, and Everquest is still going strong.  Why would they shut down FFXI if the playerbase is still there?  Phantasy Star Online kept on running strong on Dreamcast several years after it was shut down in the US.

Well, my worry isn't that it'll be shut down, but rather shunned; Over the last few months the amount of updates has reduced (The updates are still of considerable size but we get them much less often). I guess my question is, does EQ still have a lot of interesting content being made for it? It just sounds like they're going to keep running it because of the revenue its generating and not really give much care into the content.

By the way, shouldn't the thread be in MMORPGs since this game is an MMORPG and all? :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 08:31:13 PM »

This is further complicated by the fact that you have to buy Microsoft's overpriced, 5400 RPM piece of crap hard drives at $179 for 120 GB if you want the biggest upgrade available.  Meanwhile, I shoved a 250 GB 7200 RPM 2.5" SATA Western Digital hard drive in my PS3 for like, $65.

Actually, they're something like $140 now and I got mine for $130. Nevertheless that doesn't negate the fact you could spend that much and get a 500 gig one for the PS3.

With that said, I'm not sure that'd necessarily stop Square now that I think about it. They released FFXI anyway for the PS2 bundled with the Harddrive, it's possible they'd just do a deal like that with Microsoft and sell the game Standalone for everyone that already has the larger hard drive. Though even 20 gig users on the PS3 might be better off than 360 owners since Microsoft only lets you access 13 of those, and was probably actually closer to 18 or 17 gigs in the first place anyway.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 08:44:39 PM »

360 Harddrives are ridiculously overpriced. Won't stop the game from being ported if they (most likely) decide to port it, though.

Either way, you're gimping yourself if you play an MMORPG on console (until consoles become much more like PCs, which the PS3 has taken the right steps toward).
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2009, 09:08:17 PM »

Some more info I dug up from Michael Fox (head localizer for FFXIV) ...

Uematsu is writing the FULL SCORE to XIV, not just a few themes. It will be his first full FF score since FFIX!!! Uematsu is still freelance with Smileplease, but he was very excited to do the whole project. So that's confirmed.

FFXI expansions are probably done with in terms of disc-based expansions. However, they hope to finish fleshing out the world through downloadable content before the game is finished (take that to read: Far East expansion?)

Michael Fox "wouldn't comment" on additional races, character designs, etc. Which usually means "yeah, more stuff coming." I didn't ask, but I"m wondering ... can you play as an inherently "bad" race?

(not posting on main site presently, but in case people want to know)

to Hathen's comment about solo/casual content for FFXI. FFXI is NOT friendly to solo/casual play, even with everything they've added. There's still a huge barrier to entry, and there's no way to remedy it. Hopefully they "do it right" with XIV.

Ramza

Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: June 03, 2009, 10:14:55 PM »

They don't need to reveal all at E3.  MMO players will watch the game's website closely, and hype will build on its own over time, starting with speculation based off that trailer.

FFXI is Square's most profitable game ever in the history of the company.  If they get even half of FFXI's subscription numbers, they will rake in more money in less than two years than they would from worldwide sales of FFXIII.  I for one, am excited.  FFXI has gotten a lot easier than it once was, and it is very likely that they'll model WOW's casual-friendly approach instead of the Everquest model for this new MMO, especially with the potential market there is.

If they do that, day one purchase for me.  A lot of particular aspects of FFXI intrigues me, but the humongous barrier for newbies in FFXI is something I don't want to deal with.  Make FF14 more casual friendly and I'll be there someway.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: June 03, 2009, 10:48:46 PM »

Uematsu is writing the FULL SCORE to XIV

Excellent news.

FFXI expansions are probably done with in terms of disc-based expansions. However, they hope to finish fleshing out the world through downloadable content before the game is finished (take that to read: Far East expansion?)

The majority of the "content" we get ingame comes through version updates, but areas have always been added through the CDs because areas themselves take up a bunch of space- I can't imagine taking even more hours and hours just to download area info, nor do I beleive they'd bother (Because if they create content worthy of making a boxed expansion, why wouldn't they, they probably make money with people buying all that cardboard and paper).

This is the world map for FFXI. The boxed areas are the ones available, aside from the other half of the Far East (sans WOTG, which is really just recycled areas with some minor changes). So much of the world, unexplored, and I really feel that they'll probably never get to it.

to Hathen's comment about solo/casual content for FFXI. FFXI is NOT friendly to solo/casual play, even with everything they've added. There's still a huge barrier to entry, and there's no way to remedy it. Hopefully they "do it right" with XIV.

My point was that if you wanted to, its just as easy to be solo/casual in FFXI as it is in WoW, in my experience, and at the same time easy to end up playing WoW for 16 hours a day if you wanted to. The reason it isn't casual friendly is that the mid-level content sucks. They need to have a system like WoW, where you get to xp and explore at the same time (Instances), while getting some cool level-specific gear. FFXI's ONLY goal pre-75 is to get to 75 (Because how many people do we know start on missions before 75, battlefields are not something that happen often enough, and LOL @ Garrison). I feel that's the only thing that needs to be repaired for FFXI to be more interesting to casual players, not just grind grind grind- that's mind-numbingly boring.

And oh yeah, the chance to have many VS many battles more often is certainly something I want. It's pretty stupid to have a mortal one-on-one duel with bunnies and crabs all the way to 75.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: