Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 06:11:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330106 Posts in 13528 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FF XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: FF XIV!!!  (Read 21458 times)
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:24 PM »

Not so much the issue of the hard drive for the 360, is it even going to be a viable platform to put the game on? Is the 360 still going to be supported in 10 years time?

This is why I think Sony must be thanking their lucky stars. SE yet again pledging to use a Sony console as the technical base for a MMO that will hopefully last as long as FFXI has. ...if they are. That would have been a good question to ask them today.

Uematsu is writing the FULL SCORE to XIV, not just a few themes. It will be his first full FF score since FFIX!!!

Fucking outstanding news. The music for Ronfaure and the airship just so happen to be my favourite from FFXI. :P
« Last Edit: June 04, 2009, 12:01:39 AM by Myau » Logged

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 04, 2009, 07:54:53 AM »

FFXI is NOT friendly to solo/casual play, even with everything they've added. There's still a huge barrier to entry, and there's no way to remedy it. Hopefully they "do it right" with XIV.

Indeed. My main concern is that as the game is being developed in Japan, is the needs and input of the western markets going to fall on deaf ears like they did FFXI. As much as whiners tend to propogate in MMO forums, i'd like to actually see a REAL FFXIV NA forums with devs who actually care about this audience and not cater to just their native country. After seeing the amount of work Blizzard and NCsoft does with their MMos, it really makes the content updates to FFXI look like a joke and I hope that we're not going to see history repeat itself. Square Enix has alot of potential to capture a significant portion of the MMO market if they get with the times, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I'm cautiously optimistic, but I think from past experiences with the company i'm not jumping into bed with them because the trailer was pretty.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 04, 2009, 01:27:55 PM »

I think they said closed betas will be worldwide-simultaneous for FFXIV, so in terms of input from beta, Americans will get their say as well. But if they ignore those voices and just pay attention to Japanese players, then we're screwed again. But ... we'll see ...

I wonder when they'll next release more details. Maybe a website update in the next month, or the Fall TGS...

Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2009, 01:46:27 PM »

Unsurprisingly, I'm stoked, and I'll be first in line to purchase it.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29:18 PM »

Not so much the issue of the hard drive for the 360, is it even going to be a viable platform to put the game on? Is the 360 still going to be supported in 10 years time?

Maybe not in 10 years time, but Microsoft has said they plan to support the system until at least 2015, planning a 10 year cycle. That doesn't mean the next Xbox won't come out before then though. Put if you look at the PS2 and PS3 situation, it's pretty convenient how two generations of a console can exist on the marketplace at the same time.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2009, 07:07:09 PM »

I wonder if they can make it so people can play co-op regardless of which platform they own. PC,PS3,360 gamers on the same server?? Probably not eh?
I'm just assuming that the 360 release rumor is true.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 04, 2009, 07:34:10 PM »

I wonder if they can make it so people can play co-op regardless of which platform they own. PC,PS3,360 gamers on the same server?? Probably not eh?
I'm just assuming that the 360 release rumor is true.

Yes - all platforms will share the same servers.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2009, 11:00:05 PM »

Do you guys think it would be better to play it on the PS3 or on the PC? I'm undecided on which platform to play it on. I'm playing Final Fantasy XI on the PC, out of convenience of using a keyboard and mouse, and the fact that my PC can handle the specs. I wonder how demanding the specs are going to be for Final Fantasy XIV. I could always use a keyboard for the PS3 version, but that would be difficult to arrange comfortably.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2009, 11:07:10 PM »

I have no idea why I didn't move this earlier. :P

Do you guys think it would be better to play it on the PS3 or on the PC? I'm undecided on which platform to play it on. I'm playing Final Fantasy XI on the PC, out of convenience of using a keyboard and mouse, and the fact that my PC can handle the specs. I wonder how demanding the specs are going to be for Final Fantasy XIV. I could always use a keyboard for the PS3 version, but that would be difficult to arrange comfortably.

I think the most strenuous MMORPG out there as far as computer specs go is still Warhammer Online.  I have a feeling FFXIV won't be terribly more stressful than that.  Personally, I could never play an MMORPG without a mouse, because I'm a clicker. :P

Bernhardt

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 05, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »

I have to admit when they showed "Online" at the end, I completely lost interest.
I was so pumped until I saw Online!
MMO? I'll pass. I was genuinely excited until I saw that.
Color me unimpressed at this point in time.

What colour is that?  I want it too.

I think it's fucking stupid they number the MMO releases. Just to build hype I guess.
Indeed. Should be called Final Fantasy Online.

I don't see why. Just because there's MMO's doesn't invalidate their contributions to the franchise. There's no rule that says FF has to be an offline adventure. In fact, the only rule FF does carry around is the need for an epic scope, and FFXI did provide that.
They're fuck-fuckign MMO games. What part of GENERIC MMO makes you think it should be part of series canon?

It's a bit disappointing that they're staying so strongly to the character design of FFXI, almost replicating it in similarity. I hope that the world and overall mechanics of the FFXIV game are different, I was not a fan of FFXI.
Totally getting vibes of Infinite Undiscovery from the artwork, at this point in time.

NO! The reason why I have never played FFXI is because it's an MMO, and I lack the monthly cash. Now I may never play FFXIV!

I don't like the naming purely because I think this should be its own series (sort of), but you should realize that this isn't taking the place of some theoretical offline XIV. Whatever that 'XIV' would be would just be sold as XV, and you wouldn't be crying out like this if they released this as Final Fantasy Online 2.
Yup. Why DON'T they call it Final Fantasy Online? I think they're trying to hide the fact that it's an MMO, so like, when you buy it just out of franchise loyalty, you're so eager to open, THEN you find out it's an MMO, you can't return it to the store! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO~~~~!!!!!

How could anyone take this idea and not immediately conclude that XI is going to be shunned into the dark now, off this information? The impression here is clearly "Well, if you guys want it, we'll do it..." but they clearly expect XI to die out soon after XIV comes out. Obviously they're not going to come out and plain say it.
Another thing I don't like about MMOs: Their limited lifespan. They only live on as long as there are players around to play them...and fuckign pour $$$ into them...

Uematsu is writing the FULL SCORE to XIV, not just a few themes. It will be his first full FF score since FFIX!!! Uematsu is still freelance with Smileplease, but he was very excited to do the whole project. So that's confirmed.
Well, maybe we'll at least get a decent soundtrack out of it...

The online capabilities of even the PS3 and 360 all suck balls, and don't even get me started on the Wii. It's just so much more easier on PC.

Oh well, just another damn game I don't feel any urge to play...I think I'm going to stop gaming after I finish up all my PS2 stuff. All this new stuff they're putting out these days is just...so...lifeless.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 12:15:29 AM by Bernhardt » Logged
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 05, 2009, 01:03:02 AM »

Maybe not in 10 years time, but Microsoft has said they plan to support the system until at least 2015, planning a 10 year cycle. That doesn't mean the next Xbox won't come out before then though. Put if you look at the PS2 and PS3 situation, it's pretty convenient how two generations of a console can exist on the marketplace at the same time.

Okay, that's at least five more years of 360 XBL, but I'm still concerned that Microsoft are going to upend the table pretty soon. After all, does the initial Xbox Live even exist anymore? Then again, all they need to do to make that right is make the 360 discs playable on their next console. That's at least something Sony partially fixed by making the PSX2 FFXI fully compatible with the BC PS3s.

Now, FFXI on the 360 makes sense, since they both will probably cease support around the same time.

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE.

Ooooooooooooooh boy, here we go.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 01:05:05 AM by Myau » Logged

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 05, 2009, 02:22:27 AM »

Will FFXIV be free of online charge since Sony is supposed to be online-friendly?

I hope it would be though. I would rather have them sell online items (stronger weapons, etc.) rather than monthly fees.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 05, 2009, 05:44:35 AM »

The whole "built around the PS2" crap FFXI has to deal with has limited it so greatly, and this isn't going to be any different considering how technology marches on.

Even worst than the technical side I think is the politics of it. The viewpoint that you're cheating if you use a windower just to be able to tab out of the damn game. Console users can't get 3rd party support so it's banned entirely. Meanwhile I can play a Bejeweled world of warcraft addon and blizz is cool with that. I can only imagine the chaos and account bannings if you could play bejeweled while waiting ten minutes for the airship in ffxi :P
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2009, 06:07:44 AM »

I'll be honest, Bernie...  I didn't read ANY of that.

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2009, 04:22:33 PM »

you know despite the whole ps2 limitations thing with ffxi i still think ffxi looks better graphically than WoW. also maybee its because i never learned to type properly by i prefer a controller and keyboard via console to a mouse and keyboard via pc. i may join rpgfaners this time around since the group i used to play pso with and then ffxi has all but disolved they all play fps games on 360 now wich i'm not into.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: