Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 12:13:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341017 Posts in 13938 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  FF XIV!!!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: FF XIV!!!  (Read 22546 times)
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 05, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »

Bernhardt:

1. By definition, Final Fantasy is a "generic rpg series". It defines the vanilla by which all other flavours are measured. Some would award this to Dragon Warrior, and in Japan you'd be right, but over here it's very much FF that serves as a centrepoint. If I want variety, I'll go over and talk to that fine Megami Tensei girl and her new Persona scoops.

2. Just because you think it generic doesn't make it so. Mileage varies from player to player, and while some games are more plain than others (I'll be the first to accuse the MMO genre of being full of copies), I personally found FFXI's story to be pretty good as time marched on. Sure the first round is ho-hum, but the additions have made it more and more worthwhile. Certainly, it's a relief from most MMO's where the only "story" amounts to "get X of Y and give it to Z for X of G which can then be traded to M for a J".

3. Limited lifespan? What in God's name are you on? MMOs have the most extensive lifespans when it comes to games, short perhaps of puzzlers. :P
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 05, 2009, 10:06:02 PM »

1. By definition, Final Fantasy is a "generic rpg series". It defines the vanilla by which all other flavours are measured. Some would award this to Dragon Warrior, and in Japan you'd be right, but over here it's very much FF that serves as a centrepoint.

... How does that even WORK? If we had more RPGs developed in the west modeled after Final Fantasy I wouldn't argue this, but 99% of applicable games come from Japan. If it's the Vanilla there it's the Vanilla here and vice versa. The only way this analogy works is if you say that Final Fantasy's Chocolate and Dragon Quest is Vanilla, two of the most basic ice cream flavors.

Anyways, I only read about half of Bernhardt's post and while I kind of agree with what he meant to say with 'series canon', it's kind of funny to cite that when the series doesn't really HAVE over-arching canon.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: June 05, 2009, 10:57:13 PM »

The only "canon" I can imagine the FF series having are chocobos, certain summons and weapons, and crystals, which are all present in FFXI. A lot of the recent FFs don't even have the same gameplay, so to me it just sounds like grasping at straws to complain about something.

Bern just sounds like the typical gaming doomsayer of "Games these days suck compared to back when they were filled with indiscernible blobs that might be people" in a shiny new wrapper.

One thing I do understand is his complaint that MMOs have limited lifespan though, in the sense that you can only play them as long as servers are still up, given that nobody makes any private ones, which often happens anyway so I find it to be meaningless, especially when something's as popular as FFXI.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 11:02:13 PM by Hathen » Logged
ffussr

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2009, 03:15:16 PM »

Heres some nice information from the gents at IGN:

What platforms is Final Fantasy XIV coming to?
Currently the game is confirmed for PlayStation 3 and Windows PC. An Xbox 360 version isn't official, but Square Enix is considering the possibility that it could.

What do we know about the setting and the story?
It takes place on an all-new Final Fantasy world known as "Eorzea." Though it does share some monsters and races from Final Fantasy XI, they're not direct representations and have been altered in multiple ways that make them unique to Eorzea. The similarities in races will allow experienced Final Fantasy XI players to create a new Final Fantasy XIV character that looks somewhat comparable.

Does it have a direct connection to Final Fantasy XI?
In some ways, yes it does. Not only does it share the same development team as the FF11, but the game will also allow players to create a character that is similar to their current Final Fantasy XI. Square Enix has also revealed to IGN that it is currently finding a solution that will let you transfer your character's names from Final Fantasy XI to Final Fantasy XIV.

What is the combat system like?
The development team won't say, but it did confirm to us that... Additionally, the heavy team-play aspect of FF11 has been deemphasized, and now exploration and battle is said to be more balanced between solo and team play.

How does the leveling system work?
Square Enix is cagey about how characters advance, but it has confirmed with IGN that growth is not based on experience and that it will work on a different system entirely.

What about jobs?
Jobs will return in Final Fantasy XIV, but they will be much different than the job system present in Final Fantasy XI.

When is it coming out and when is the beta?
The game will come out in 2010, and after Final Fantasy XIII which is scheduled for spring of the same year. The Final Fantasy XIV beta test plans are still being finalized, but that the plan is to have a longer beta period than that of Final Fantasy XI (which had a beta of about 3-4 months).

How important are the weapons?
Weapons are very important and have a heavy influence on your character and how they succeed in the game world. Square Enix says to look closely at the official Final Fantasy XIV logo for hints and hidden meanings about how the game will work.

What hidden meanings?
Square Enix told us that when it approached Amano to do the logo art for Final Fantasy XIV, that weapons were very important and to think of the concept of a "wheel." Specifically, a wheel of adventurers that has their weapon in front of them and an exposed backside -- which leaves each adventurer to rely heavily on their comrades and their friends. Let the speculation begin.

Anything else about the weapons?
The team let slip to us that choosing weapons for specific tasks one day versus another could affect how your character develops.

How much of the first trailer is in-game aversus pre-rendered?
The debut trailer is actually a mixture of real-time in-game footage and pre-rendered wizardry. The combat scene in particular was created using the in-game engine.

What languages will the game available in?
The same as Final Fantasy XI: Japanese, English, French and German. Final Fantasy XIV will also be released simultaneously in all regions that use those languages.

Will the PlayOnline service be used for Final Fantasy XIV?
No. Square Enix told us that the reason it is ditching the PlayOnline system is because it was originally meant as an all-in-one solution to house multiple content types. But as PlayOnline has offered less content over the years, the need for the next online Final Fantasy to us PO is moot. Whatever new service (if any) is used, PC and PlayStation 3 users will still be able to play with each other on the same servers, and Square Enix also confirmed with IGN that you can sign in with a universal ID on either system to pick up where you left off if you own both.

Who's Working on the Game?
It is produced by Hiromichi Tanaka (Final Fantasy I, II, III, and IX) and directed by Nobuaki Komoto (Final Fantasy IX, XI), with art direction by Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy XII) and a musical score from Nobuo Uematsu (Most Final Fantasies ever). Yoaka Amano has designed the logo and is pulling additional art duties as well.

Uematsu only did a few tracks in Final Fantasy XI, how much is he doing for XIV?
Square Enix revealed to IGN that Uematsu will be doing all the music for Final Fantasy XIV and that it will be composed in a range of different styles and genres.

What modern day MMOs have influenced the design and direction of Final Fantasy XIV?
In addition to the team's original work on Final Fantasy XI, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan and Warhammer Online have been three recent games that have had some pull, but the Final Fantasy XI community's feedback has been the most important factor in its design.

Are Chocobos back?
Yes, they will return. But Square Enix has told IGN that it is looking at using them in a completely different way than they were used in Final Fantasy XI (where they were used as riding steeds).
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 06:09:06 AM by ffussr » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2009, 05:19:37 PM »

Thanks for the IGN Q&A page, Eusis. Good stuff.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2009, 06:02:23 PM »

growth is not based on experience and that it will work on a different system entirely.

Really. This sounds interesting...

The team let slip to us that choosing weapons for specific tasks one day versus another could affect how your character develops.

Sounds like Grandia-type stuff to me. I like what I am hearing.

But the fact that YOU, the player, are the character, that makes it hard to give the characters any back story or anything.

To be fair, there's FF games where the main character really isn't that interesting (Or might as not be there at all), and the other characters are a lot more interesting through their interactions with one another, because in many cases they want you to be in the role of the main character. I'd like to see an MMO where you have lasting choices within the game based on how you interact with the characters- think Mass Effect. That would be pretty cool.

What I said. Even if it's 10 years, the game is still destined to die off when people stop playing it, and the company loses the money to maintain the servers for the game; they have to keep innovating the damn thing to keep it alive, but even then, people are going to lose interest eventually. MMOs are CONSTANTLY on life support.

While I can see your point here, how often are you going to pull out the original NES Final Fantasy and play it again (Talking the NES version, not remakes)? I think having private servers is something comparable.

How much outrage do you think there'd be if Chocobo's Dungeon had been a numbered installment of the main FF series? Or Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles? Decent games, I guess, but they're so much different from the main installments of the series, as is Final Fantasy XI. It just seems like they're trying to get up to FFXXX as quick as they can.

I just find it to be a bit silly to be complaining about the title of the game of all things (Besides, if you bought the box of the game without reading any reviews/the damn box itself, you kinda deserve to get screwed :P), but it still comes back to the question of what a main series FF games is "supposed" to have. FFXI certainly has story and characters, it just takes too long to get head above water regarding those parts, which is something it sounds like they're fixing in FFXIV.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2009, 09:43:51 PM »

Ok, so I have let the thought of this game marinade in my head a bit...and it is becoming a tasty treat with which to sate my appetite. As long as I have people to play with, and it is a little more casual/solo friendly, I will definitely pick it up. Don't get me wrong, I don't want it to be easy, and I don't think there should be no hardcore aspect to it. My one problem with FFXI is that I can't log on, play for 1 hour by myself, and actually feel like I accomplished something without being super geared, or having certain jobs. Leveling should be casual/solo, while dungeons/large encounters/important story parts should be a bit more hardcore. That's just my two cents, which I think echoes a lot of peoples two cents. Which is four cents.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2009, 06:51:52 PM »

But that wasn't me! That's some new guy we've never seen before. Nevertheless, that information does intrigue me, it sounds like it'll be predominately skill based like UO or the SaGa games were.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2009, 06:57:55 PM »

But that wasn't me! That's some new guy we've never seen before. Nevertheless, that information does intrigue me, it sounds like it'll be predominately skill based like UO or the SaGa games were.

Sounds more like a hybrid of WoW's talent points and a PvE form of Warhammer's renown rank to me. :P

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2009, 07:11:08 PM »

Oh shit, it wasn't Eusis.

Thanks new guy!

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2009, 10:14:19 PM »

While I too am not interested in this game as much as I would be if it weren't an MMO. I only hold that view since I can't afford to play an MMORPG. And sure while there are a lot of generic MMOs out there, FF XI isn't one of them, and I highly doubt that XIV will be either.

As for FF canon what is FF canon? Is it that stuff found congealed at the bottom of DoC?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 21, 2009, 05:45:15 PM »

so i was thinking...does anyone think they should consider scrapping subjobs? it seems some of the balance issues are tied to subjobs and some abilities have to be delayed till 38+. for this same reason some jobs don't hit there stride till 50ish because they are waiting for an ability that comes from a lvl 25 sub.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2009, 03:48:12 AM »

so i was thinking...does anyone think they should consider scrapping subjobs?

Absolutely. I'm all for fuller classes as opposed to a subjob system where you just have a preset sub you're supposed to use. Perhaps that's oversimplifying slightly, but bottom line is the system doesn't offer a lot(and I can't see it being successfully expanded on since mmo balance is under a microscope). If you can't be a fireball tossing thief, a jumping paladin or a dual wielding rdm(Solo aside) what's the point? It's just a waste of time, which hey, mmo and all, but often it's a time waster doing something you DON'T want to do such as being forced to heal 37 levels to play a black mage.

Although I did like how you had all your classes on one character and hope they keep that. It was cool keeping all your accomplishments, being able to use rare/ex gear on other classes and it made you more recognizable(as opposed to 'whose alt is that again?')
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:49:55 AM by Raze » Logged
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: June 22, 2009, 07:41:40 PM »

I suspect they'll drop subjobs.

Lazlowe1984
Restricted Members

Centurion

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: August 17, 2009, 07:34:55 PM »

Not too excited on FFXIV.I might get it if they scrap the MMORPG aspect and make it an MMOFPS

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: