Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:02:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334814 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled for DS. Anyone have updates?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print
Author Topic: Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled for DS. Anyone have updates?  (Read 19640 times)
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2009, 12:51:52 PM »

To your credit blackthirteen, one of my favorite dungeons in EE was the one where I sailed the boat through it.  I think so much more could be done with vehicles in RPGs that isn't fully realized. 

Trust me, making the boat wander inside a dungeon was an incredibly hard challenge to me, hearing this may sound stupid to most people but RPG Maker has many bugs that make things complicated sometimes. Each time a vehicle entered a new location the music theme became buggy once the vehicle was disembarked, it messed up all the music tracks. Thus making the boat and airship teleport from the World of Light and the World of Shadow was very tricky too. I had to make extra efforts to make it works.

I canít confirm it yet, but Iím planning to use a submarine with EE2, but due to this bug Iím unsure if Iíll want to deal with this againÖ

However, in the future Iím intending to make my own RPG Engine, so Iíll have more freedom :)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »

My copy just came in today.  Earlier than I expected.  So unless I'm engaging in debauched ribaldry tonight, I'll post some initial impressions. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2009, 11:17:00 AM »

I'm going to have to order it somewhere else. I called Amazon again today and like a few years ago, they cannot figure why their system won't send DS or PSP games to my address. Makes no sense, it's like the Twilight Zone. Books, DVD's, movies, 360/PS3/Wii games they send to me no problem, but cannot for the life of me get a handheld game sent.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2009, 12:20:33 PM »

Here's how awesome Amazon is.

Amazon.ca won't stock half the shit that Amazon.com does.

Amazon.com will NOT ship games to Canada, instead telling you to order from Amazon.ca - but refuse to give a reason why.

I literally had to wait until I went back to fucking South Korea to get my hands on a copy of Hotel Dusk, because Amazon refused, under any condition, to sell me a copy.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »

Here's how awesome Amazon is.

Amazon.ca won't stock half the shit that Amazon.com does.

Amazon.com will NOT ship games to Canada, instead telling you to order from Amazon.ca - but refuse to give a reason why.

I literally had to wait until I went back to fucking South Korea to get my hands on a copy of Hotel Dusk, because Amazon refused, under any condition, to sell me a copy.

Use a site other than Amazon next time?
Animage

AnimageCGF
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2009, 02:12:03 PM »

Supposed arrival tracking date said today.  Hopefully less than 2 hours and I can be playing this.

Currently Playing : Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier
Last Game Beaten : Dragon Quest 5 : Hand of the Heavenly Bride
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2009, 02:41:20 PM »

My copy just came in today.  Earlier than I expected.  So unless I'm engaging in debauched ribaldry tonight, I'll post some initial impressions. 

I'm really looking forward to your previews and final review! :)
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2009, 04:42:17 PM »

So far I'm 1.5-2 hours in and I like the game so far.  The plot is still setting up so nothing major has happened yet, though I can sense a lot is going to happen.  I predict this one will be a slow burner.  I like that depending on who you have leading the party, some NPCs say different things.  Pat's E3 story on this game made mention of a possible 7 endings, so I'm still waiting to see where and when I can influence that. 

Graphically, the environments are very detailed- more so than Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana, which it takes visual influence from.  I like the character art.  The Mode 7 overland is nowhere near as pretty as the rest of the graphics.

The orchestral music sounds quite good through the DS speakers, but is best heard with headphones. 

Gameplay is solid.  The battle system is kinda like Anachronox's which was an ATB type system with options to move your character around the field in lieu of a normal attack (though the difference is that battlefield movement ended your turn in Anachronox and in Black Sigil, after moving the character can still use a spell or special skill.)  Battling is actually fun, so right now I'm not too nonplussed about slow overland movement and a high encounter rate.  The one aspect I find cumbersome is that each character can only carry a limited number of items into battle.  I personally find pooled items more intuitive/streamlined.  The instruction manual did not say how to escape from battle, so I had to figure that out on my own.  I did, but it wasn't 100% intuitive. 

And though saving is typically done at save points or on the overland, there is a quicksave feature.  Anyone who reads my reviews knows that's always something I harp about in my handheld reviews. 

I haven't played enough to encounter any bugs, and hopefully I won't.  I mention this because there's been talk through the grapevine that the game is still buggy.  (Though in the 16-bit days, we would exploit bugs all the time to level up quick.  Except for Phantasy Star 4 where your stats would drop if you went past level 99.)  If it's buggy, what matters is how the company handles it.  When I got Ever17, the first pressings of disc 3 were faulty because the voice tracks wouldn't install properly.  So Hirameki asked us "victims" for the bar code number of our games and sent us properly pressed disc 3's.  So if Black Sigil proves to be unplayably buggy at some point, I'd hope the company doesn't screw us over. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:26:48 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Kyle E.
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »

Sounds good, Neal. Thanks for keeping us posted!

"The things that make us happy make us wise."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2009, 12:38:51 AM »

Reading gamestop's review, it sounds like most of the bad vibes I was getting from the game are correct.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »

GameSpot gave it a 6.5.

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/projectexile/review.html

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 13, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »

GameSpot has not been too kind lately to handheld traditional RPGs.  I mean, they gave Crimson Gem Saga a 5.0 and it's easily the better game.  I don't fault their complaints for either game, though.  But I wonder if the reviewer forgot that you can move your characters around on the battlefield in order to reach enemies blocked off by battlefield obstacles.  I notice that the review didn't mention any bugs, so we'll see how that goes since the grapevine's been buzzing that the game's buggy.  Some have said it's buggier on a DSi than the DS Lite or DS "fat" and others say the hardware makes negligible difference.  I use a first-gen fat DS. 

Games like Crimson Gem Saga and Black Sigil are comfort food RPGs.  Nothing fancy or pretentious.  It's mac 'n cheese. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:06:53 PM by Dincrest » Logged

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2009, 01:36:59 PM »

What's with moving in battle anyway? It looks like if you pick attack and you're out of range, you'll move up to the enemy anyway, in the space of about a turn and a half, whereas if you manually run up to them, you won't attack till the charge bar fills completely again. And you can't seem to DODGE with it.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 01:39:03 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Animage

AnimageCGF
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2009, 03:12:01 PM »

Completely reminds me of how you had to move in battles in the Legend Of Hero games on PSP.

Very annoying to myself, but easy to get around in battle.

Currently Playing : Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier
Last Game Beaten : Dragon Quest 5 : Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2009, 03:17:51 PM »

Once you move, you can either defend or use a spell/special skill/combo attack.  So even after you move, you're not a sitting duck.  You just can't do a normal attack after you manually move.  And sometimes the battlefields have obstacles in them that characters won't automatically bypass, forcing you to move them.  There is no need to manually move if the battlefield is a flat surface.  Random battlefields can sometimes be arbitrary.  But, if I know a boss's charged attack is going to hit a certain range, I can just run out of its range and defend.    

Admittedly, though, the game does have some gameplay elements that most folks dislike about old school RPGs, such as: items aren't pooled in battles, high encounter rate with paltry money drops, expensive items/equipment, slow overland movement... so this one's definitely try before you buy.  

And I haven't encountered any bugs yet that crashed or froze my game.  

So far, the story and music are the aspects of the game I like best. 
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 03:28:13 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: