Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 19, 2014, 04:00:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
340965 Posts in 13937 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Our worst fears are true (PSP Go):
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Our worst fears are true (PSP Go):  (Read 1857 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2009, 01:47:48 PM »

It turns out, there are some differences in hardware (which are yet unmentioned), and some games will be designed SPECIFICALLY for the PSP Go. A new Resident Evil [GameSpot] game coming out in 2010, is said to be designed specifically for the Go. The publisher isn't saying what they mean by that, whether it will work with a normal PSP at all remains to be seen. But frankly, if this means that games for the PSP will even be gimped, then you can kiss the notion that the PSP3000 will have a peacefull place alongside the Go, goodbye.

I've got a bad fealing about this. This strikes me as a hostile move on Sony's part to try to rid themselves of the hastles of hard media, even at the expense of their existing user base. Sure they're saying all these nice things about how there is a place for both. Hell, they can sit around a camp fire and sing Kumbaya for all I care, but I think it's all an act. PSP3000 will be out the window by the holiday. Obviously, this is all speculation, but something just stinks.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »

I was worried until I saw the picture that GameSpot provided with this RE playing on a standard PSP. Not that's necessarily a guarantee, we've seen SCEA fuck up with Valkyria Chronciles and including it with the PSP games, but that seems to imply it's as designed for the PSP Go as Final Fantasy III was designed for the DS lite.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:01:34 PM »

How was FFIII designed for the DSLite, they're identical hardware (except for backlight). My guess is that it will run on the PSP3000, except that there may be a few features missing.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 02:09:56 PM »

Why did you feel the need to create an all new topic on this?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 02:41:52 PM »

How was FFIII designed for the DSLite, they're identical hardware (except for the new screen).

THAT'S the reason. They saw the lite, and made or at least touched up the graphics with their appearance on a lite kept in mind. Could be the same here, except perhaps it leans more towards internet connectivity and is only downloadable online.
Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 07:38:30 PM »

Can't wait to get a PSP Go.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 07:49:50 PM »

It turns out, there are some differences in hardware (which are yet unmentioned), and some games will be designed SPECIFICALLY for the PSP Go. A new Resident Evil [GameSpot] game coming out in 2010, is said to be designed specifically for the Go. The publisher isn't saying what they mean by that, whether it will work with a normal PSP at all remains to be seen. But frankly, if this means that games for the PSP will even be gimped, then you can kiss the notion that the PSP3000 will have a peacefull place alongside the Go, goodbye.

I knew it from the beginning.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 11:15:06 PM »

The only thing added so far is a bluetooth compatibility and it's nothing really that huge. I say if there ARE extra features they probably won't be anything substantial and you should just relax.

Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 11:21:46 PM »

Remember when Nintendo said the DS was *not* going to replace the Gameboy, and that they wanted to have the two coexist? Yeah, that tune soon changed when the DS came out.

Either the PSP will be too popular to support Go, or the PSP Go will be too popular to support UMDs. Regardless, if you start making Go exclusives, you've crossed that line.

Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 06:21:49 AM »

Was it really necessary to create a new topic? Besides, do you really think that of all Japanese third party publishers, Capcom will ignore all those 10+ million PSP1/2/3000 users in Japan alone, given their successful track record on that particular system? Even if you offer a downloadable version, they still will be able to sell a lot of retail copies. Hence, not making the game available on UMD would be nothing short of bad business.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 11:47:26 AM »

I'm willing to bet that it'll be download only for North America similar to Echochrome and Patapon 2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 06:57:56 PM »

Remember when Nintendo said the DS was *not* going to replace the Gameboy, and that they wanted to have the two coexist? Yeah, that tune soon changed when the DS came out.

Either the PSP will be too popular to support Go, or the PSP Go will be too popular to support UMDs. Regardless, if you start making Go exclusives, you've crossed that line.

It didn't help that Nintendo eased everyone into the DS with the GBA Micro.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: