Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 02:58:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327393 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Castlevania - Lords of Shadow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow  (Read 26061 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 09:01:49 PM »

It's up on the European servers. I think they originally planned to put it out this week but then it got delayed to the release day. Annoyingly, Amazon pulled their $20 offer at the same time, ensuring I'd be waiting.

Edit: Then again, with all that talk about the ending I'm afraid I could get myself spoiled if I wait until Christmas. I'll have to keep an eye out for good deals.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 09:21:00 PM by Eusis » Logged
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »

Amazon had a 20 dollar credit offer a few weeks back for this game. Makes me sad that I waited until last week to pre-order.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: October 03, 2010, 04:51:13 AM »

I meant I didn't understand the reasoning behind it.  It's not just used for Metroid-like Castlevania games.  It's used as a generic term any game of that style, even though there are plenty of examples that have been doing it before Castlevania hopped on the bandwagon.

Maybe it was originally used to describe the Metroid-like Castlevania games and then people co-opted it.  That would make sense, actually.

Well, see, I've never heard that term used for anything but Castlevania games.  That's why I was confused by your answer.

edit: No need to double post:
I went to download the demo, but it is not available on either my PS3 or the 360. WTF?
How did you get this demo, CD? I thought it might me a Playstation Plus thing, but didn't see it on that page either. That would be an asshole move, anyway.
???

European PSN. Create an account if you don't have one.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2010, 07:13:37 AM »

Man, the game's framerate seems to be disappointing, the demo runs at 24fps. Since the 24 fps is pretty consistent and there's a good use of motion blur you can get used to it but I'm a bit disappointed with this, people are saying that there are some severe drops sometimes even during cutscenes. The game looks really good but GOW3 does more with twice the framerate so... I'm going to wait for DF's analisys to make a decision, maybe people are exaggerating, I really wanted this game to be as good as possible.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2010, 04:26:58 PM »

Man, the game's framerate seems to be disappointing, the demo runs at 24fps. Since the 24 fps is pretty consistent and there's a good use of motion blur you can get used to it but I'm a bit disappointed with this, people are saying that there are some severe drops sometimes even during cutscenes. The game looks really good but GOW3 does more with twice the framerate so... I'm going to wait for DF's analisys to make a decision, maybe people are exaggerating, I really wanted this game to be as good as possible.

The game is awesome and really fun, but there are definitely slowdowns during combat. Haven't seen it during cutscenes yet.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
XBL ID: Akanbe
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Twitter@AkanbeRPG
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2010, 10:16:22 AM »

The digital foundry face-off is finally up. Basically we have platform parity. There's only a slight framerate advantage on the PS3 and the usual 7.1LPCM, 5.1LPCM, DTS audio options that aren't available on the 360.
What you might want to consider if you own both consoles is this:

"In terms of the impact on the gameplay experience, the two-disc setup is a touch intrusive but nothing that is going to overtly affect your enjoyment of Lords of Shadow. The game has 12 chapters in all - five on disc one, seven on disc two - and the change-over point is seamless enough; you swap discs and the game doesn't bother you again. However, part of the game's charm is that the powers you unlock in later sections of the game allow you to access areas of earlier levels, adding a lot to the replay factor. You can even go back whenever you want and continue the main quest at a later date.
Now you might think that having both discs installed to HDD would allow for no swapping at all, but that wasn't the case when we reached chapter six, and it wasn't the case when we immediately went back to the previous level. In both cases the disc needed to be inserted even though we had all the data immediately to hand on the HDD."

Anyway, the framerate is a bit disappointing as we suspected after playing the demo but it's also one of the best looking games on the market.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2010, 02:33:17 PM »

I checked out the videos and it seems like the framerate is 4 fps higher in average on the PS3. It might not seem much but it keeps the PS3 from going below 20 fps while the 360 sometimes goes down to 16.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2010, 05:08:35 PM »

I ordered the game. It just looks so damn good and the framerate didn't bother me in the demo so I hope it won't hinder my enjoyment of the full game.

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2010, 08:39:47 PM »

This game is freaking awesome!

Chapter 2 onwards is just... wow.

My expectations were very high, and yet LoS managed to shatter them!

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2010, 10:58:00 PM »

I'm loving LoS so far, but the frame rate is a huge bummer.  Some of the earlier parts were downright painful on my eyes.  I honestly wish they had spent another couple months in development to polish up the engine, because what I've played so far is all kinds of awesome (up to Chapter 5 right now).  The combat is especially nice and really forces you to think about your tactics in relation to all of your abilities and the strengths/weaknesses of your enemies.  Great stuff so far!
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: October 08, 2010, 03:37:26 AM »

Good to hear, which version are you guys playing?

hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: October 08, 2010, 06:46:06 AM »

Good to hear, which version are you guys playing?

PS3. Framerate issues are still visible every now and then even on the supposedly superior PS3 build, but it isn't a big deal. You'll get used to it.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2010, 07:11:17 AM »

I'm playing PS3 as well.  The first couple of levels had the largest number of frame rate problems. 
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2010, 07:20:48 AM »

I'm playing PS3 as well.  The first couple of levels had the largest number of frame rate problems. 

I'm almost done with the 5th chapter and I agree. The first 2 chapters are still the worst in that regard.

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »

Does installing the game help? (Xbox 360)

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: