Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 06:16:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319307 Posts in 13037 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Castlevania - Lords of Shadow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow  (Read 24680 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2010, 01:27:38 PM »

I'm downloading the demo right now. Hype for this game is through the roof, the trailers are indeed very impressive. Reviews seem to be at an average of 8.5. I'll post impressions once I get through the demo.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2010, 02:25:53 PM »

There's hype for this? Maybe I'm visiting the wrong sites, but I haven't seen or heard much of anything. I read a couple European reviews yesterday(both 8s), and I see a few more today. Gamespots is whiny as hell.
As far as I can tell Castlevania is pretty damn niche nowadays. I don't expect this game to sell anywhere near all the big titles out there.
Looks damn good to me. I asked my wife to get it for me for my birthday next month. I've already got a few games to play for now.

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2010, 02:38:10 PM »

I watched the new trailer from TGS and it looks fun. I'm curious to see how the storyline will go since, well, it is Kojima. I'm hoping for a PC release, as well, so that I'll be able to check it out myself.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
hell_snake

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2010, 03:39:31 PM »

I'll try out the demo once my PS3 is back.

I'm expecting a great cast of characters, a fulfilling story and finale, unique atmosphere with an amazing soundtrack and gameplay that is similar to GoW with some innovation here and there...

Can't wait!

"An unanswered question is better than an unquestioned answer"
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2010, 04:05:58 PM »

First of all, the game looks really good. Some impressive stuff going on here.
The god of war comparison is inevitable, at least in combat, the fixed camera, the QTEs, the whip feels just like the chains of olympus. This obviously isn't a bad thing though, it feels good and that's all that matters.
I'd definitely get this day 1 if it didn't release so close to vanquish and GT5 though it might end up being better than vanquish, who knows? Anyway, there's no doubt that this is a winner.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »

I don't know where I read this, but this game is suppose to be like 15 hours between gameplay and cutscenes.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2010, 04:25:41 PM »

I don't know where I read this, but this game is suppose to be like 15 hours between gameplay and cutscenes.

I hear it's more than 20...

Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 04:58:36 AM »

I don't know what the GT, IGN and Gspot reviewers are on, but this game is a day 1 for me. They all bitch and moan that it's not classic castlevania buhuhu and rate the game on what they wanted the game to be and not what it is: A beautiful cinematic experience set in a great fantasy universe with sharp visuals and fun combat. I really feel this is the game I've been waiting for some time...

edit: I saw Enslaved got a review on IGN and it got 8 with any mention of being derivative like Castlevania is of God of war/ SOTC/ etc. Imo Enslaved is a dumbed down Ico and Ninja Theory are trying too hard... random rant, I know..
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:35:04 AM by Booboo » Logged

MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2010, 11:50:10 AM »

Sounds like a rental, but a must rent one at that.  Too many games on deck right now though. Still have to finish Resonance of fate and play Vesparia and MagnaCarta 2.
I lost my respect for IGN'S reviews ages ago.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 11:52:23 AM by MindCandy » Logged

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2010, 12:03:53 PM »

I've read in a couple reviews how it's not like "classic" Castlevania. Then they go and site the Metroidvanias as being "classic" Castlevania! It's like Castlevanias 1-4 never existed! The true "classic" games were straight up action games. There was very little to no exploration(minus 2, I suppose). I enjoyed every one of them.
I have zero problem with the game going that route. I'm going to have a hard time waiting until the 27th(my birthday) to play this.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2010, 12:28:41 PM »

I don't even understand the term 'Metroidvania'.  The Metroid part, certainly, but for me that's never been what Castlevania was about.  When was that term coined? 

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2010, 02:38:11 PM »

I don't even understand the term 'Metroidvania'.  The Metroid part, certainly, but for me that's never been what Castlevania was about.  When was that term coined? 
Don't understand it? You've never heard that term used for all the Castlevania games since Symphony?
Castlevania games that play in the style of Metroid games? Not ringing a bell? I don't recall when I first heard it, but it's been around for awhile now.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »

I meant I didn't understand the reasoning behind it.  It's not just used for Metroid-like Castlevania games.  It's used as a generic term any game of that style, even though there are plenty of examples that have been doing it before Castlevania hopped on the bandwagon.

Maybe it was originally used to describe the Metroid-like Castlevania games and then people co-opted it.  That would make sense, actually.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2010, 05:46:06 PM »

I meant I didn't understand the reasoning behind it.  It's not just used for Metroid-like Castlevania games.  It's used as a generic term any game of that style, even though there are plenty of examples that have been doing it before Castlevania hopped on the bandwagon.

Maybe it was originally used to describe the Metroid-like Castlevania games and then people co-opted it.  That would make sense, actually.

Jeremy Parish coined it originally, so your guess for its origins sounds about right.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »

I meant I didn't understand the reasoning behind it.  It's not just used for Metroid-like Castlevania games.  It's used as a generic term any game of that style, even though there are plenty of examples that have been doing it before Castlevania hopped on the bandwagon.

Maybe it was originally used to describe the Metroid-like Castlevania games and then people co-opted it.  That would make sense, actually.

Well, see, I've never heard that term used for anything but Castlevania games.  That's why I was confused by your answer.

edit: No need to double post:
I went to download the demo, but it is not available on either my PS3 or the 360. WTF?
How did you get this demo, CD? I thought it might me a Playstation Plus thing, but didn't see it on that page either. That would be an asshole move, anyway.
???

« Last Edit: October 02, 2010, 12:49:03 PM by GrimReality » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: