Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 03:13:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334755 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Castlevania - Lords of Shadow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow  (Read 27471 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2010, 10:53:45 AM »

Installing won't help. You even have to swap discs whenever you want to return to one of the first five chapters, even with the whole game installed... mercury steam says it's microsoft's fault...

I'm glad to hear that it's not as bad as in the demo during the whole game. From what I've been hearing some of the later chapters perform a lot better though overall there's no doubt that the performance is disappointing.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
MindCandy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: October 10, 2010, 01:22:21 PM »

Swapping isn't the worst thing, but slowdown and framerates < 30fps could drive me nuts.

It's a renter for sure now...
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 05:58:39 PM by MindCandy » Logged

Currently playing:
Xbox 360 - NIER
Wii - Metroid Prime 2: Echos (trilogy version)
PSP - Disgaea
DS - SMT: Devil Survivor
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: October 11, 2010, 12:08:42 PM »

For what it's worth, I didn't notice many technical flaws myself.  There's some definite staggering on some of the more impressive visual vistas, but those are few and far between.  Combat wise I only noticed slowdown when I was absolutely swamped by enemies.  Thankfully, this game tends to throw small packs of enemies at you instead of a giant horde; you'll only really notice towards the end, when it seems like zombies are popping out of the ground every five steps. :P

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: October 16, 2010, 06:58:57 AM »

Finished chapter 4. The game is great. The framerate only bothered me during the chapter 2 boss untill now. It's a very ambicious project and despite some minor flaws definitely one of the best games released this year.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
jrchang

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2010, 08:18:56 PM »

The framerate is pretty decent on the PS3.

I do want to say that even though a lot of reviews out there say that it doesn't feel like Castlevania (ahem, Gamespot), they clearly did NOT play far enough into the game. It isn't until the second half of the game that the game starts to feel like Castlevania.

This is why I can't trust most game review sites anymore, seeing as they didn't even bother to play more than 2 hours of the game before reviewing it :-( Thankfully this site still has quality reviews that are lacking from today's interwebs.
Uru

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: October 16, 2010, 09:27:46 PM »

Im playing it on the ps3, and its really great! But then again, something about Partick Stewart's voice makes anything epic.
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: October 17, 2010, 05:05:54 AM »

I just had a good laugh with the gaf thread with people complaining that they couldn't figure out what to do on the chapter 2 boss. The thread is full of people complaining about bad game design when the real problem is that they are just fucking stupid. The game is far from perfect but you just gotta love all the ridiculous drama of people who just plain suck.

Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: October 17, 2010, 06:03:07 AM »

And anyone complaining that this game is derivative are just mindless. Every game in history is derivative of another (with some exceptions) and even if this pushes the limit (with really copy/pasted SOTC battles) I still think it's the best action game I've popped in my Ps3 since it does platforming, art, atmosphere, combat and sound in a way that I love.

Getting ready for the Ch.3 boss and my God this game is huge, yet no "professional" review praised this (from my knowledge). I also appreciate the nice AI in combat with enemies that literally try to kill you and not some sitting dummies like in GoW or Bayonetta which wait their turn even on hardest modes.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: October 17, 2010, 08:30:17 AM »

And anyone complaining that this game is derivative are just mindless. Every game in history is derivative of another (with some exceptions) and even if this pushes the limit (with really copy/pasted SOTC battles) I still think it's the best action game I've popped in my Ps3 since it does platforming, art, atmosphere, combat and sound in a way that I love.

Getting ready for the Ch.3 boss and my God this game is huge, yet no "professional" review praised this (from my knowledge). I also appreciate the nice AI in combat with enemies that literally try to kill you and not some sitting dummies like in GoW or Bayonetta which wait their turn even on hardest modes.

The GoW games are pretty damn hard on high difficulty levels man. They sure as hell don't waste any time trying to kill you. Not sure what you're talking about there but I sure didn't see any sitting dummies when I beat the whole trilogy on hard recently.
A word of advice for the chapter 3 boss, don't use every resource you have right away, I made that mistake and the fight was pretty tough because of it.
The game is indeed pretty damn big. I wish they had used some sort of AA though, MLAA would've done wonders for the game but it's probably too much to ask from a third party developer.

Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: October 17, 2010, 02:51:36 PM »

The GoW games are pretty damn hard on high difficulty levels man. They sure as hell don't waste any time trying to kill you. Not sure what you're talking about there but I sure didn't see any sitting dummies when I beat the whole trilogy on hard recently.
A word of advice for the chapter 3 boss, don't use every resource you have right away, I made that mistake and the fight was pretty tough because of it.
The game is indeed pretty damn big. I wish they had used some sort of AA though, MLAA would've done wonders for the game but it's probably too much to ask from a third party developer.

I didn't have any problems with GoW's on hard since I'm a pretty big fan.. especially the last one.. that was a piece of cake and only 2 battles were remotely challenging (Hades/Cerberus). The first two have a tough challange on harder. Bayonetta's the same... it is harder on the last two dif. settings but I dunno, I feel this game is just about right regarding AI.

Thanks for the advice, just done the ch.3 boss and it was a blast. I didn't have any problem against him (I tend to play really defensive in this game) except one quicktime epic fail, but yea I made that mistake too and used most of my light magic pretty early in the fight. I seriously think the black knight fight was a bit harder.

I can seriously say I love this game to death, and it's not under the influence of hype or anything.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: October 17, 2010, 03:05:48 PM »

I didn't have any problems with GoW's on hard since I'm a pretty big fan.. especially the last one.. that was a piece of cake and only 2 battles were remotely challenging (Hades/Cerberus). The first two have a tough challange on harder. Bayonetta's the same... it is harder on the last two dif. settings but I dunno, I feel this game is just about right regarding AI.

Thanks for the advice, just done the ch.3 boss and it was a blast. I didn't have any problem against him (I tend to play really defensive in this game) except one quicktime epic fail, but yea I made that mistake too and used most of my light magic pretty early in the fight. I seriously think the black knight fight was a bit harder.

I can seriously say I love this game to death, and it's not under the influence of hype or anything.

Well, I totally agree that the only real problems in GoW3 are hades and cerberus but the other games, especially GoW1, are definitely challenging and most enemies are far from being cannon fodder. For me the hardest part of all 3 games was protecting krato's family at the end of GoW1. This is off-topic though so lets talk about LoS.

I'm in chapter 6 and stilll enjoying it a lot, I didn't know the game has so many different combos/powers. Very nice.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: October 18, 2010, 05:48:03 PM »

The classic game room review on youtube seems pretty honest. I'll have to check this game out when it drops in price
Booboo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2010, 04:18:28 PM »

The classic game room review on youtube seems pretty honest. I'll have to check this game out when it drops in price

Lol, I watched it too. That guy always seems humble and honest in his reviews and I enjoyed many of them. I can also warmly recommend it because I love it very much.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: October 21, 2010, 06:29:04 AM »

Oh man, that ending caught me completely off guard. Fantastic.

CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2010, 08:53:29 AM »

So, is anyone replaying the levels on a higher difficulty and doing trials/collecting previously inaccessible treasure? There's also a lot of artwork to buy and it's pretty good. You can also equip snake´s bandana and solid eye on gabriel, I stumbled upon this by accident, the game doesn't tell you it's there.
The very last power you can buy is pretty damn powerful, it costs 25000 though and only appears after you buy the last power available to you (exploding quake).

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: