Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:45:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327578 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Castlevania - Lords of Shadow
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Print
Author Topic: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow  (Read 26117 times)
CDFN

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »

It's not a matter of being open minded, the dlc is way overpriced, my issue isn't with the content itself but how much they charged for it. Assuming that this is the final piece of dlc, the game deserved to go out on a much higher note. This dlc is so short that they should've just combined them both into a single package. 10 euros for the whole thing would've been more than enough. It feels like that while creating the dlc they just decided to separate the boss fight and sell it on its own.
It's a shame that the final impression of such a great game leaves such a bad taste in my mouth but at the end of the day it's my fault for trusting them, I shouldn't have bought it blindly.

Currently playing: Uncharted 3, Dark Souls, Team ICO Collection, Atelier Totori, Child of eden.
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #196 on: June 13, 2011, 01:41:28 PM »

I agree, it was way overpriced!

Currently Playing-Re-visiting Wii and Xbox 360 games (finish backlog)
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 26, 2013, 08:02:29 PM »

Really late to the party here, but I just played through the whole game again with the Ultimate Collection on PC.  Here are some of my thoughts after walking away from the game for nearly three years:

-The game starts off miserably slow.  The first areas, environments and enemy encounters are pretty awful.  It's easy to get lost, the cutscenes are way too plentiful and don't explain anything, and the game hides the combat for far too long.  The first three level barely have any real combat, so you have to play for around an hour and half before things start to open up.
-Combat is pretty good for the most part, but Gabirel isn't nearly as responsive as other characters in this genre.  He sometimes blocks immediately, other times he won't.  His rolling is also a complete pain in the ass to control at times, and the invincibility on this animation fluctuates wildly. Worse still, the lack of a midair block is just bizarre and feels wrong.  Gabriel has no defenses once in the air, but the game practically demands you go aerial during certain scenes or to get the highest possible combos.  I can't count the number of times I went for the air lift, realized the enemy blocks, and then fell back to earth helplessly waiting to get hit.  Such garbage and a really easy thing to fix.   
-Combat ends up broken by horribly cheap enemies who ignore attacks whenever they feel like it.  Skeletons and phantom swordsmen are the worst, as it seems like they're stunned by your attacks and then they just break through and cheap shot you for huge damage.  You can rarely get off a full combo before having to either dodge or block, and both of these, as mentioned before, just don't work that great. 
-The platforming sections in here are all awful.  Gabriel controls like a dump truck with a flat tire.  You can't even spin around in place; he just starts walking forward in whatever direction you press.  This made sections like the music box and clocktower practically unplayable for me.  He doesn't really connect with the ground so much as slide around it.  I actually fell through the cracks on certain scenes with moving platforms, showing that the game has serious problems with stable geometry. 
-Things get really good when you get to the castle and actually fight some damn vampires.  It's like all of the good stuff in the game was reserved for these chapters.  The enemies feel right, the platforming actually works halfway decently, and the art design is on fire.  Weird that the rest of the game is so much fluff that never really plays properly.  I died three times in the necromancer area from invisible walls that i could actually hop over by accident.  The fuck?!
-The last DLC boss fight is a pile of fucking puke that should have been balanced properly.  Gabriel isn't responsive enough to deal with all of those attacks. 

I don't know.  I was really excited for the sequel in Februrary, but playing the original game again really started to piss me off to the point that I might wait and see if they really did make some improvements.  I can live with the awful platforming and crap like that, but I refuse to play a game when the combat is frustrating simply because the enemies cheap attack you every two seconds.  Thank God they're putting in a fully 3D camera, because that may be the most inexcusable thing about Lords of Shadow.  Someone should have been shot for that travesty...

Edit-
Should point at that in this thread WAY back when I said Gabriel was super responsive.  Maybe it was the PC controls or I was drinking way too much scotch back then, but he really isn't as maneuverable as I thought he was three years ago.  Blocking just never feels good, and you'll often roll right into attacks and end up hit because the invincibility timing is all sorts of screwey. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 01:25:07 AM by PaleRobbie » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #198 on: November 26, 2013, 10:12:49 PM »

Edit-
Should point at that in this thread WAY back when I said Gabriel was super responsive.  Maybe it was the PC controls or I was drinking way too much scotch back then, but he really isn't as maneuverable as I thought he was three years ago.  Blocking just never feels good, and you'll often roll right into attacked and end up hit because the invincibility timing is all sorts of screwey. 

Maybe it was because you were coming off of GoW3 and compared to that, this felt super responsive.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 26, 2013, 10:28:32 PM »

Possibly.  I think the key problem is the blocking, honestly.  It just never feels right in Lords of Shadow, and there's several things working against it.  The camera is either pulled back far too much or it's so close enemies just nail you off screen.  It could also be that the wind up animation on some attacks is so short that you just don't have a chance to block.  Hell, it's also something so simply as making it obvious that Gabriel IS in fact blocking in the first place.  Kratos' flaming swords let you know what's going on, but Gabe just kinda stands there with his gauntlet slightly up. 

The biggest issue is enemies not responding to attacks.  Playing Dead Space 3 drove me fucking nuts because enemies would stagger from one shot and then shrug off the next to run straight at you.  I think you can literally hear the enemies say, "Eh, fuck you!" in LoS.  The damn skeletons shrug off attacks constantly, but the final boss staggers a bit with most attacks?  How does that make sense? 
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: