Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 07:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327399 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Castlevania - Lords of Shadow
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: Castlevania - Lords of Shadow  (Read 26065 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2009, 08:53:35 PM »

http://www.konami.jp/kojima_pro/e3_2009/castlevania/

Nice bunch of actors for the voices.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

I'm interested. I was getting tired of the series kept under control by IGA, but at the same time this seems like a game that just got rebranded as Castlevania rather than being developed from the ground up to rejuvenate the series.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 09:56:34 PM »

Yes, that's just what I was thinking. It looks/feels nothing like a castlevania game, then again, it looks to be fantastic. I love the norse/gailic flair to it, and the fact that a significant part of it takes place outdoors. Unfortunately, Castlevania isn't limited by anything more than it's name: "Castle" and "Transelvania", which basically means that it A) has to take place in a castle, and B) has to be about Vampires or the undead, and C) usually has an eastern european feel. This looks mostly outside, and I would pin down more to scandanavia or Scotland. Kojima running the show should be interesting. I'm game. I'm tired of traditional Castlevanias.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2009, 10:55:36 AM »

It's gonna be strange to see a story-driven Castlevania (at least by comparison to the others :P), but I approve of everything I saw in that trailer.  I definitely approve of the giant step away from the goggle-eyed anime style seen in the last 75% of the series. :P

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 01:14:09 PM »

wow, this came out of nowhere. That damn trailer gave me shivers. It looks fantastic. I agree that it looks like a retro-fitted castlevania game, but that doesn't take away that it looks to be a great game.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 01:38:46 PM »

Plus the fact that Hideo Kojima is working on this game. Which surprised me. It's a good thing that he's FINALLY doing something besides MGS (or MG) on the next-gen consoles (And I'll never stop saying that).
Hopefully it will be more than just a GoW clone.

ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 10:55:17 AM »

I'm very interested in this game also. I hope it has the "very many items, weapons, armors, and food" feature (this feature got me into Castlevania: SotN onwards so much).

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2009, 04:10:51 PM »

Looks good, but I was hoping for a return to platforming in the next 3d Castlevania, and this doesn't look like it has much. At the very least the level design can't get any worse than the PS2 entries.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2009, 06:05:28 PM »

While I usually cringe at the sight of a 3D Castlevaina this does look somewhat intriguing.

At least it can't possibly be any worse than the last 3D Castlevaina game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2009, 06:47:25 PM »

These developers DID do Jericho though, so I'm really hoping that was just a bad/rushed case, or that Kojima's supervising winds up pushing them along the path to greatness.

Really though, the more I think about it, I really wish this were for something developed straight up as a Castlevania. The series definitely needs rejuvenation, and at least a break from Iga's hands, but simply rebranding something else doesn't seem like the proper way to do it.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2009, 08:51:54 PM »

Well, we really don't know that, actually. The fact is, ANY IP that Kojima does is going to sell millions, regardless of what it is. So I don't think they really gain much by rebranding something else as Castlevania. I suspect that this was meant to be, from the ground up, a Castlevania game, but they decided to stray considerably from the norm, because the series needed a reboot. And we really don't know much about it yet. The truth could be that when we actually stick this game in, it may be immediately apparent that it is indeed a Castlevania game.

All I'm saying is, let's wait until more info becomes available before we start condemning aspects of the game that we really don't know about.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2009, 09:13:25 PM »

Well, we really don't know that, actually.

No actually, we DO know that. Plus there was teaser from last TGS that seems to have been tossed aside. Put two and two together, and it seems obvious to me that Konami decided that for whatever reason (Judgement being a failure) that they'd rather try to take the series in a new direction, and this was similar enough stylistically to be rebranded. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if it were influenced by the series in the first place.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 09:20:59 PM by Eusis » Logged
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:22 PM »

Holy cow, think it's about time for me to stop procrastinating and pick up one of these systems.  Although I'm a little worried whether it's more of the Metroidvania feel or the old Castlevania, I have to say that trailer was just as impressive to me, notably in terms of the talent (Patrick Stewart?  I'm sold!).

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Roger S. Huxley

rogershuxley9
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2009, 11:33:18 PM »

I've heard so much whining about it being in 3D lately. Hey, the PS2 ones weren't that bad, I enjoyed them to a certain extent. This looks good and I hope it'll be great. With the team behind, we can definitely hope for an excellent product.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2009, 11:40:53 PM »

I've heard so much whining about it being in 3D lately. Hey, the PS2 ones weren't that bad, I enjoyed them to a certain extent.

Finally, someone with sense.  Curse of Darkness is more enjoyable than 70% of the rest of the games I own.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: