Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 26, 2014, 01:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327449 Posts in 13407 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Infinite Space
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: Infinite Space  (Read 12314 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2010, 07:54:53 AM »

Does Sega even realize how boneheaded their business decisions are?  Even an 8 year old with a lemonade stand wouldn't make that mistake. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2010, 08:37:21 AM »

I'm assuming they want the game out before the fiscal year ends.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2010, 09:01:54 AM »

It's out, uh, today.  Which means it should be in stores tomorrow.

Not entirely sure if want.  I <3 a good text adventure and I <3 sci-fi and I <3 Platinum Games, but something about this game is just turning me off.  I dunno what it is though.

I feel the same way. I read about it and it sounds interesting, but there's a part of me that doesn't really care about it. Plus, I already have Strange Journey on pre-order and that's way more important.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Spoony Mage
I aim to misbehave.

I also aim to please and shoot to kill.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:00 PM »

Either I haven't been paying attention, or someone hasn't been talking.  As I mentioned on the RoF thread, I've just picked this game up (which I also had fully preordered) without even knowing it was out today.  I was expecting it next month.  I was like "WTF!?  Okay, I'll take it."  Completely left-field moment for me.

I'm really starting to agree that Sega WANTS to fail or something. o_O;

Support Silent Protagonists!
At least SOMEONE knows when to shut up!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2010, 08:20:14 PM »

I'm really starting to agree that Sega WANTS to fail or something. o_O;

Didn't we have a whole thread about that?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2010, 08:58:29 PM »

I read some review that said it was really grindy.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Morgenstern
Star-Spawn of Cthulhu

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2010, 05:09:04 PM »

Who cares?

Grinding can be good, when the combat is fun and dynamic.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2010, 09:34:43 PM »

Who cares?

That really isn't the kind of issue to brush off.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2010, 02:09:49 AM »

Fuck
Just like Sands of Destruction - can't find it in town.

Really starting to irk me. Might as well live in Asia again at this point.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: April 22, 2010, 07:05:14 PM »

I just picked this up today.  I'm not even an hour in, and I agree that the game feels as dense as people say.  I do maintain that Maetel > Nia though. 

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 04:23:18 AM »

I'm about 6 hours in, last fight of chapter 3, and I'm loving the game but it's not for everyone. The manual and ingame help don't do much to teach you the intricacies of the game. There's alot of trial and error involved, especially when it comes to moving the story along - there's no quest log that I can find. There's a ton of grinding for cash, but the combat is pretty cool once you understand all of the mechanics and open up a few abilities. I'm thankful for the ability to skip the combat cinematics though. The story and characters pick up decently in chapter 2, and the game is incredibly vast, though I do shake my head at some of the design choices. There needs to be a pan and a zoom in combat and travel because you can't really see anything until the action cinematics. They desperately need to have tooltips for modules and weapons - comparison shopping is a pain in the ass. Having an arrow graph doesn't help with the amount of customization you need to do on the fly. The boss fights can be pretty unforgiving, especially when you have to fly through sectors without stations, leaving you to fight with an almost full Tiredness gauge (yes, that's what it's called. Fatigue would have made more sense). I also wish they put a little animation in the character portraits. The anime stills are of a nice quality, so having bitmap portraits seems needlessly retro.

I will say it took a couple of hard hours to get hooked on the game, and if your not a min/max type of person, or an impatient player, then stay far away from IS. If your a patient person looking for an incredibly deep strategic experience with an almost never ending array of customization options and a pretty cool space opera, look no further. I completely agree with Akira's review of the game. Probably one of the most addictive DS games ever.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 04:38:31 AM by Tenchi-no-Ryu » Logged
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2010, 08:59:52 AM »

I almost didn't even notice the tiredness gauge at first while flitting about from place to place.  This is definitely one intricate game.  I like it, but it gets ponderous and vague at times.  It's certainly not a "me too" JRPG, that's for sure.

Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2010, 09:45:35 AM »

Once you *get* the mechanics, it's really quite brilliant when you finally have all the facets of gameplay in place (fighters, AA, weapons loadout, stat twinking, etc.) The only major beef I have is that without a FAQ you miss a ton of content and there are alot of times where you aren't given much information on how to advance the storyline. The complete lack of a dialogue or quest log really hurts the game. There were many times where I didn't realize I had to talk to an NPC X number of times to advance the story or visit Y location without any real direction. I guess it gives you a sense of discovery but in a game this long (60 hours minimum WITH the FAQ) you could be endlessly dawdling.

Still it's a great game, once you unearth the mechanics. The storyline starts out trite but becomes obnoxiously epic. I really would love to see the sequel get HD treatment with some real anime cutscenes.
Tenchi-no-Ryu
RPGFan's MMO Junkie
RPGFan Editor

TenchiNoRyujin
View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2010, 09:49:48 AM »

BTW there is an excellent FAQ on GameFAQs for the game that really demystified alot of the density and transformed my experience into a much more enjoyable one.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2010, 10:24:25 AM »

I normally don't like to use FAQs my first time through games, but for Infinite Space, it helps.  Vague plot direction is definitely a sore point with me, but I definitely give the game credit for incorporating so much stuff. 

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: