Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 02:08:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327249 Posts in 13399 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Up
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Up  (Read 4182 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
Up
« on: June 05, 2009, 02:29:48 AM »

I'm surprised that there's no thread for this movie yet.

To put it succinctly - New Pixar. It's amazing. Go see it. Much better than WALL-E in my opinion, but then I was one of the few people that was bored by WALL-E.

For me, this was a real treat since this summer season's been pretty disappointing, at least to me.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2009, 02:58:14 AM »

Watched it with my girlfriend on Sunday and again in 3d with my friends. I enjoyed the move both time. The bird and dog are hysterical. :)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2009, 03:06:49 PM »

I don't think it's better than Wall-E, but I still liked it.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2009, 07:18:12 PM »

It's already out in North America!? Alright, we get yet another late Pixar release in September.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2009, 11:25:40 PM »

I don't think it's better than Wall-E, but I still liked it.

I think as a children's film, most kids might like Wall-E better (though I guess it depends entirely on what age group we're talking about), but I found this film's story to have a lot more heart to it than Wall-E. If there's only one thing I didn't like about this film, it was the villain, who I felt kinda just came out of nowhere.

I do think Wall-E is good and all, but I just felt bored during so much of that film- I understand that people appreciated the silent film throwback, but I found it to be just one cute joke after another that went on for far too long, and when the film got around to trying to deliver a message...well, it felt like a sledgehammer to me.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2009, 03:39:03 PM »

Up was amazing. I cried 3 times during the movie. It is emotional, and becomes more heartfelt the older and more life experience you have. That is unique in itself. While I don't agree with him usually on these types of topics, Josh is 100% right about which is a "better film." From its cinematography to editing, to narrative complexity, Wall-E is still #1 for Pixar.

In my pantheon of "Best" Pixar Films:

1. Wall-E
2. Up
3. Toy Story
4. Ratatouille
5. Finding Nemo

In my pantheon of Most Watchable/Enjoyable Pixar Films:

1. The Incredibles
2. Wall-E
3. Toy Story
4. Toy Story 2
5. Monsters Inc.
6. Ratatouille

JP
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2009, 06:06:04 PM »

Ratatouille > you

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2009, 08:32:56 PM »

Ratatouille > you

Well, that's quite obvious :)

JP
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2009, 08:37:01 PM »

Ratatouille is my personal favorite Pixar as well.

I'm in no way saying that Wall-E isn't a good movie, just that I was bored through a lot of it, because while they were doing their whole homage to old silent movies I felt they lost a focus on what their target audience is. You can judge the technical aspects of a movie but in the end, I feel that movies shouldn't exist in a vacuum- "I enjoyed it" is paramount to whether a movie is good to someone or not.

Though, maybe if I watch Wall-E on DVD it'll be different. I remember not finding the first Austin Powers movie very funny until I saw it in a completely different environment.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2009, 08:59:52 PM »

Interesting re: your view on enjoyablity.

I can't stand No Country for Old Men or Pulp Fiction, yet, I think of both of them as very good movies.

C'est la vie.

JP
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2009, 09:16:05 PM »

If I don't enjoy it then I usually won't give it high remarks, but there are some movies that I haven't enjoyed a whole lot because the directors and writers throw in craziness that detracts from the overall experience for me (maybe not others) but I can still see why others would like it. Sometimes a movie I am absolutely bored to death watching actually has a good story or something and that's when it gets frustrating trying to figure out whether it's good or not. Boredom means I'm not enjoying what the movie has to offer so.... sigh.

And for the record, I enjoyed No Country for Old Men immensely all three times i have seen it. One of my favorites from that year.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2009, 10:37:39 PM »

Random aside: Never seen Cars but it looks dumb :( It's also apparently considered Pixar's worst movie?

Pixar did a really nice job with the trailers and making this look... I don't know. A lot *happier* than it was.

Also there's gon' be spoilers, and I'm not putting it in code because that'd just be one unsightly black box of text.

I liked Wall-E a lot. I liked it more than Ratatouille. I also have this thing for silent films, so whatever. In any case, the second half, in space, seemed to lose something for me. It wasn't bad or anything -- far from it -- but that 2001 reference was sort of gratuitous, if not inappropriate, and there really was kind of a mood shift that didn't seem so... smooth. The first half of the movie is kind of bleak and surreal and a lot like the intro to Fallout. There's a strong grotesque undercurrent in the second half -- especially if you, like me, live in one of those weird rural towns where there's a pretty good chance that there's some horribly obese wheel-chair bound man in the theater watching the movie, while eating nachos and a large coke -- but... I don't know, it never felt really fully on to me.

Anyway, I do think Wall-E looked, visually, a lot better than Up, but the writing/plotting/overall construction in Up seemed to gel a lot better, which surprised me because the trailers made the movie look really goofy and unappealing to me. Carl's adventure is pretty meaningless outside of the context of Ellie's death, but you can't really let that on in a trailer without... I don't know.

TVTropes has this trope called Mood Whiplash which basically sums up the movie entirely. It's still dissonant, but it's a very assured and smooth kind of dissonant. The mood can flail around violently, but it's willful, and it's *smooth*. Every depressing moment is followed up by something funny that ends up not ending well. Like that seen where Dug tries to get the other dogs to stop, they walk past and ignore him, everyone in the audience laughs, and then Alpha grabs him by the neck and throws him off a cliff.

Or how like every silly thing Russel does ends with him almost getting splattered or shot or something.

Or how the concept of a guy flying his house by attaching a bunch of ballons to it switches from cute and picaresque to sysiphean as it goes on.

The title could really just as well refer to moments of elation as it could to the house literally flying, because it IS just kind of this constant cycle of happy/funny moments and "Phyllis isn't my mom" moments. Which is kind of what the entire prologue is, too. And it's also why the happy ending is so completely appropriate -- it's *deserved*.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2009, 08:00:12 AM »

C'est la vie.

Voulez vous pomme de terre avec fromage.

ET POULET.

MDR!

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2009, 09:46:36 AM »

C'est la vie.

Voulez vous pomme de terre avec fromage.

ET POULET.

MDR!

If I remember my French, I think you just offered me Cheese Fries and Chicken?

Sweet,

JP
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2009, 03:01:05 PM »

cheese fries...mmmmmmmmmmm
anyway...
Took the wife and kid to see Up this past Weekend. It was quite good, but not as good as I hoped it would be.
*spoilers to follow*

What is the deal with the talking dogs? Is Muntz a genius inventor in addition to being a famous explorer? There was no explanation. I ask because there was no other indicators as to his inventiveness/genius. I also think the dogs were injected into this movie purely for the kids. They really have no place in it otherwise.
Wouldn't Muntz be a lot older than K(C)arl? They portray them as being the same age, but Muntz was C(K)arls childhood hero, right? Odd.
The opening montage of KCarl and Ellies life together was sweet. Sets a good tone for the movie.
The kid just an OK character, but he had the best line in the movie. Something about the boring things in life being what you remember.
There were definitely 2 or 3 moments that tugged the heartstrings. As always with Pixar movies, I think the adults get more out of it than the children.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: