Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 16, 2014, 03:39:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331350 Posts in 13571 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs that critics love but fans of the series hate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print
Author Topic: RPGs that critics love but fans of the series hate.  (Read 20341 times)
Animage

AnimageCGF
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »

I could tell it was nothing like the Final Fantasy games from the trailers, so I wasn't expecting that.

I just didn't like it because it was so bland. It's like the movie equivalent of eating plain white toast.

That's a great, and somewhat delicious point.

Currently Playing : Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier
Last Game Beaten : Dragon Quest 5 : Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2009, 04:20:04 PM »

I hadn't even played any of the FFs when I watched TSW.

I thought it was okay.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2009, 04:46:56 PM »

TSW was a technological masterpiece, but Sakaguchi is not a very good movie director.  He's more used to directing 40 hour RPGs, so trying to fit a plot of that magnitude into 2 hours is tough.  Of course, people will then say that "the gooch" is a lousy RPG director RPG as well and that every RPG he does is formulaic. 

I thought the movie was a decent popcorn movie. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: June 13, 2009, 01:04:11 AM »

What I saw of FF7:AC was pretty atrocious too (only saw the second half). It was one long 45 minute action sequence with ridiculous physics that betrayed fairly realistic looking character models. Ya know what starts to bug me about impossible action sequences? After a while, they lose all drama, because you know that no matter how bad it looks, no matter how big a nuclear bomb the bad guy drops on the protagonist, he's always going to be able to block or dodge it with some equally ridiculous maneuver. They should stick to RPGs. I don't know how they can screw up movies so badly.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: June 13, 2009, 08:50:01 AM »

Fist of the North Star never has any tension that Ken can lose. Why? Because he's goddamn Kenshiro. That's why. But it still works, because you're not watching it to see if he wins or not. You're watching it to see how over the top and insane the writers are going to make everything in the episode.

The problem with movies based on RPGs is that RPG devs tend to shy away from unflinching, over-the-top, straight-faced fuck-yeah-we-just-shot-ninjas-out-of-cannons-ery. It's a very self-important genre. There always has to be a core of 'serious' narrative about something of inflated importance to go back to.

I mean like, someone should make an RPG where the power of love conquers everything. This isn't new. But what WOULD be new is that they could shoot concentrated love out of themselves, a la care bears. And what would be REALLY new is that this causes enemies to explode in huge gore.

For real game examples, something like TWEWY might work, because you have bears with tattoos for arms.

Additionally, and what's really ironic, is that I think FFVII was shifting towards this too. I mean more in the context of it being an FF game than anything. The weapons are huge -- and not just the swords, but I mean, The Weapons, Junon's cannon, Midgard's plate -- stuff like that. Cid's turned into a disgruntled astronaut. The overstated glitz of the Gold Saucer. The idea that both the main hero and the main villain (Zack and Sephiroth) are pretty much dead the entire game and that like, Cloud's some moook that THINKS he's Zack and Sephiroth's some chunk of Jenova that THINKS he's Sephiroth. Aeris' death, and then Aeris' death not actually meaning a lick, and THEN Sephiroth pretty much lampshading the whole thing.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 08:59:29 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: June 13, 2009, 05:59:17 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:39:39 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: June 13, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »

unflinching, over-the-top, straight-faced fuck-yeah-we-just-shot-ninjas-out-of-cannons-ery.

That should be in the next Rocket Slime game. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: June 17, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »

you know i have been reading this thread and there are some intresting view on many things that i have not been considering them at all.

but i have to say one thing though. I really don't buy the argument 'most of the reviewers are fans of what they are reviewing' especially in the RPG genre.

on example is Baroque. the game is panned left and right from majority of critics because they approached it from a different angle and a wrong one too. if there were a fan that have been reviewing the game, he should have least knowledge of the genre and the different sub genre it has.

Baroque is a different type of RPG, heck, a different game from the Rogue games, it ia hardcore, it is about atmosphere, the unusual storytelling where you have to die to progress in the game. Yet, all those points helped Baroque to get rubbish reviews and even most of the Rogue fans ignored it where it had innovations that games in the genre lacked like Shiren and Sakura Taisen.

am rubbish to make my point clear, but hopefully you guys understand what am trying to say. and the problem is that its not confined to niche games. games such as Avalon Code and other smaller RPGs, and even FF III have been reviewed with other mind setting.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: June 17, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »

Roguelikes... those are a pain in the *ss to review. The majority does not like these games and if you have to write a review with the majority in mind, these games will likely end up with a relatively low score.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: June 17, 2009, 02:18:17 PM »

What I saw of FF7:AC was pretty atrocious too (only saw the second half). It was one long 45 minute action sequence with ridiculous physics that betrayed fairly realistic looking character models. Ya know what starts to bug me about impossible action sequences? After a while, they lose all drama, because you know that no matter how bad it looks, no matter how big a nuclear bomb the bad guy drops on the protagonist, he's always going to be able to block or dodge it with some equally ridiculous maneuver. They should stick to RPGs. I don't know how they can screw up movies so badly.

It didn't help that it was basically FF VII the cliff notes version.

Cloud's a wanderin' emo again.
Tifa's tryin' to rear him back into shape.
Sephiroth lookin' goons show up and antagonizin' everything round them.
Cloud goes on a vision quest.
Aerith pulls more Deus Ex from beyond the beyond.
Cloud's kickin' arse once more.
Real Sephiroth finally shows up only to get beat down once more.
The End.

And yet it sold 2.4m copies world wide and got top sellers in Amazon (read it on wiki), which isn't bad for a game animation movie.

Tidbit: It costed $100m to make.

AFAIK, the story sucks but the visuals were great. And it's cool the Final Fantasy Versus XIII's amv direction will be based of FFVII:AC movie graphics direction or something like that.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:21:54 PM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: June 17, 2009, 03:36:28 PM »

Roguelikes... those are a pain in the *ss to review. The majority does not like these games and if you have to write a review with the majority in mind, these games will likely end up with a relatively low score.

Here's the thing though: A review should also be written with people who are actually interested in the game in mind. And that is where most roguelike reviewers fail miserably.

I would also argue that this happened with Wii Music, but that's a can of worms that doesn't need to be opened...
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: June 17, 2009, 05:04:33 PM »

Yes, but there are so many people who have never played a roguelike before, you have to help them figure out if they would like the game or not. You don't write a review for the people who are almost guaranteed to like the game just because it's a roguelike. If a game's appeal is limited, you bring it up in your review and ideally you explain whom it would appeal to and why.
N-Sef
Dinner! Dinner! Dinner!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: June 19, 2009, 02:28:21 AM »

unflinching, over-the-top, straight-faced fuck-yeah-we-just-shot-ninjas-out-of-cannons-ery.

We REALLY need a sequel to that, it was so darn charming. I think I'll go for thirds soon.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 19, 2009, 02:29:48 AM »

Hell, I'd be happy if they ported the original to the DS, but that's pretty much only good for us, it'd be pretty redundant in Japan.
faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2009, 09:49:04 AM »

We REALLY need a sequel to that, it was so darn charming. I think I'll go for thirds soon.
too bad it was never released in europe.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: