Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 10:17:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334848 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs that critics love but fans of the series hate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print
Author Topic: RPGs that critics love but fans of the series hate.  (Read 20437 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2009, 05:44:24 PM »

Actually Joe Juba IS their RPG guy. I've had a subscription to GI for like 3 years now and he always does the RPGs. They give a few of them to other people, but he gets most of them.

Oh, well then! It's still kind of sad/funny though that he can't be bothered to memorize what his characters do, especially since they're provided with pictures that would remind you of their occupation (carries a sword, must be my attacker!).
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009, 09:44:08 PM by Eusis » Logged
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #61 on: June 09, 2009, 05:47:05 PM »

Good example, recently, is game sites reviewing Korg DS. Especially IGN. People are complaining about it not being a tracker or something weird. Well no shit it's not a tracker.

However i still maintain that whole "fine line between acquring a taste for and putting up with" idea which is somewhat pavlovian in nature anyway. Maybe RPGs really ARE boring. We're just like, used to tahat. Or nu,b to it . So maybe its the nn rpgers t hat can see itmpre?

goddamn finger fuuuck

what I mean is that broad statements like "turn based always sucks" is utterly worthless -- i mean you can see similar things with strategy games now -- but some of the non-rogers playing rpgs are sort of doing it with fresh eyes.

in a sense smt:n really changed how i percieve rpgs and made me a hell of a lot criticaller about the.

additionally when wasnt game informer shit and some sort of gamestop shill rag WHORES

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #62 on: June 10, 2009, 08:22:24 PM »

My ONLY complaint about DQ8 is that the alchemy system I found the alchemy system a lot more enjoyable with a guide. This really means that they should have built in more alchemy guide like things. It was difficult enough just to get the ingredients WITH a guide, I can't imagine how impossible it would have been without. Maybe I would have enjoyed SO3s synth system if I had had a guide as well.

the problem with synthing in SO3 is that its more like a lottery. even with a guide you have to guess what the end result will be based on the cost. another thing i want to say about DQVIII is that i tend to struggle with rpg's that give you too much freedom. i think i remember using the boomerang for a while and using that upgrade path then later deciding to try a spear and doing that upgrade path,wich likely led to a gimped main character. i think if i used a guide and knew what was on each upgrade path i might of enjoyed it more.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #63 on: June 10, 2009, 10:05:31 PM »

Each character has five skills. That's not too much freedom, and I don't see how that could've gimped your main character unless you did something ODD like put ALL of your points in a personality skill. Just allocate points into whatever you're currently using, saving enough for the other skills if you wanna help them along too.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #64 on: June 11, 2009, 02:04:04 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:39:58 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2009, 04:10:49 AM »

I'd have to say that FFVIII, which received positive reviews, is reviled by many a FF fan.  I personally love it but a lot of people seem to hate the junction system as well the absence of equipment. The only thing that bothered me was the whole Esthar plot sequence later on in the game. Something didn't sit right with me at that point. Maybe it was Laguna..i dunno.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 08:49:29 PM by Esper_Crusader » Logged

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2009, 05:35:00 PM »

Esthar is sort of like you're watching a black and white movie, and then this new character is introduced and they're all rainbowed colored.

o/` I do not dream o/`

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2009, 06:45:20 PM »

I'm from a different breed of gamers because I tend to love almost everything I play.

Most games has something nice to offer even if it's not always perfect.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2009, 07:56:44 PM »

I'd have to say that FFVIII, which received positive reviews, is reviled by many a FF fan.  I personally love it but a lot of seem to hate the junction system as well the absence of equipment. The only thing that bothered me was the whole Esthar plot sequence later on in the game. Something didn't sit right with me at that point. Maybe it was Laguna..i dunno.

FF8 is a blight upon the universe.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2009, 08:39:29 PM »

*** my favorite game actually ***

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2009, 08:44:05 PM »

Your favorite game is a blight upon the universe.

My favorite game is a blirght upon the universe.

Let's all sell our vidyagames and donate the money to charity.

o/` I do not dream o/`

AztrohKitteh

Meow, I say!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #71 on: June 12, 2009, 01:23:02 AM »

FF8 is a blight upon the universe.

FF8 was okay. Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within was a blight. That movie blighted all over the place. I had blight on me when I left the theater after seeing it, and for days I couldn't get the smell of blight out of my hair!
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #72 on: June 12, 2009, 09:13:53 AM »

Oh god, now there's blight all over the carpet.

Damn it, I just got these things cleaned.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #73 on: June 12, 2009, 10:44:17 AM »

I actually liked Spirits Within.  But then, I don't really like the FF games, and I went in with full knowledge that it wasn't going to even remotely resemble the games.  So that probably had something to do with it.
AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2009, 12:00:06 PM »

I could tell it was nothing like the Final Fantasy games from the trailers, so I wasn't expecting that.

I just didn't like it because it was so bland. It's like the movie equivalent of eating plain white toast.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: