Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 04:53:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335289 Posts in 13727 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Forgotten Old Square RPGs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Forgotten Old Square RPGs?  (Read 12983 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »

What are some forgotten classics? Old Square games kind of represent how creative the company was back when RPGs were lower budget and the company didn't live and breathe off of profit.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/livealive/Live_A_Live.html

Here's one that I am playing now. It's really fun so far. The caveman story literally has no text for communication at all, just pictures, grunts, pointing, and cutesy emoticons.

Another old game I'm a fan of is Treasure of the Rudras.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 08:32:14 AM »

I mean the guy has a sidekick monkey that flings poo at enemies. This level of quality is long dead from gaming.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:40:24 AM »

Although not an RPG, Rad Racer was one of my all time favorite NES games.  Squaresoft was responsible for Rad Racer.  Too bad any other racing game they did was subpar in comparison.  The 3D on Rad Racer was a silly and unnecessary gimmick but the game was f'n great.  I really liked the music too.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 09:34:53 AM »

Rad Racer was a classic. Isn't that one of the games Hironobu Sakaguchi came up with while trying to save Squaresoft from closing down?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2009, 10:03:20 AM »

Square was never in financial trouble.  I have no idea where that myth came from, but it's completely false.  Rad Racer was just one of the various games Sakaguchi worked on; it's possible it was the last one before he made Final Fantasy, though.  I don't remember what order all those games came out.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2009, 10:05:26 AM »

Square was never in financial trouble.  I have no idea where that myth came from, but it's completely false.
Funny, because I heard that the Final Fantasy movie was a huge financial disaster for them.

I would argue that there are probably more old and forgotten non-Square RPGs worth talking about, just because the company has had recognition for an extremely long time.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2009, 10:08:23 AM »

There's a big difference between having to shut down a studio because it isn't making money and being in direct financial trouble of closing down your entire company.  Square made (and still makes) so much money on their games that Square Picture's multi-million dollar loss was a drop in the bucket comparatively.  A big drop, but a drop nonetheless.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2009, 01:02:02 PM »

The Sprite Work in this game is excellent

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 01:06:41 PM by Thoren » Logged
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2009, 01:15:08 PM »

I think we're seeing plenty of creativity from Square on the DS.  Stuff like TWEWY and Sigma Harmonics are big departures from the "standard" RPG we've seen, and since the development costs are much lower, they can take those chances.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2009, 01:20:04 PM »

I think we're seeing plenty of creativity from Square on the DS.  Stuff like TWEWY and Sigma Harmonics are big departures from the "standard" RPG we've seen, and since the development costs are much lower, they can take those chances.

I was just joking. It's a shame they don't make Chrono-Trigger quality games anymore though.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2009, 02:02:27 PM »

I think they do. CT is a unique case mind you, it's the "Can do no wrong" RPG with a lot of heart and work put into it. But it is just that. As much as I love and adore Chrono Trigger, there are finer games that Square-Enix has produced since.

Yeah yeah, sacrilege and heresy...

The reason CT gets so much praise is because it doesn't wildly divide the fanbase, and there's nothing to really dislike about the game. It's a shared cultural experience with a highly positive note. It's endearing, and has its own magic. But if we remove ourselves from that experience for a moment and study games more objectively, it becomes apparent that there are better titles out there.

I would say that FFVIII by far has the best story in a Square-Enix game, despite the whole nursery bit. It has a lot of sophistication and was ill-received merely for being both different and more subtle than most fans were used to. Final Fantasy Tactics A2 is also a stellar piece of work, as is The World Ends With You (as John mentioned).

I'd say the calibre of work is there, but we as fans are too used now to bitching and complaining about everything to appreciate it. :P
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 02:18:04 PM »

Not really that old, but i always felt that Threads of Fate deserved more love. It's a fairly simple and straightfoward game, not too long or too dificult, but i liked it's comedy and light mood.

And of course, there's Vagrant Story, a game that still to this day doesn't get all the praises it should get. People just weren't ready for a truly hardcore rpg/dungeon crawling experience.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 02:20:54 PM by ChevalierEagle » Logged
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2009, 02:38:50 PM »

I liked Chrono Trigger while I was playing it, but when I looked back after I was done I realized that there really wasn't anything in it that I liked, and that it was mostly the impressive graphics that I enjoyed.  The game itself was pretty bad IMO.  Cross was a lot better in just about all areas.

Vagrant Story didn't do it for me.  I didn't like the way weapon experience was handled in the game AT ALL, and the overall game just didn't interest me.

Threads of Fate was ok, but ultimately I don't think it's worth a second playthrough.

The only series from Square that I still see any quality in is SaGa and the SaGa team's other projects like The Last Remnant.  FF has been in the toilet since 6(Although 9 was nice), I've never liked Dragon Quest, and most of their side projects are flops.  I'll agree that TWEWY was nice, and I won't knock Star Ocean 4 until I play it.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2009, 03:08:08 PM »

http://....Live_A_Live.html

......Treasure of the Rudras.

Those are the only two I know of.  Both were excellent.  Live a Live's Sci-fi story scared the shit out of me.  Which is curious for fairly dated graphics.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2009, 03:15:52 PM »

Chrono Trigger does what it does very well, but it doesn't really do a whole lot.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: