Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:04:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327320 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Shin Megami Tensei games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Shin Megami Tensei games  (Read 3556 times)
^3R^
Banninated

3r.kamikaze@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 03, 2006, 03:12:16 PM »

Ok ppl so I'm willing to start playing this series and I wanted to know the chronology to play them in story-wise order. Maybe its a dumb question and I should play them just in the released order thou :p

Thx folks.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2006, 03:47:53 PM »

Doesn't matter at all for the most part. When it does matter, it's The first game then the second. SMT:N has some loose connections to SMT2, but is otherwise unconnected. And the only one I can think of that you /need/ to play before the other is probably DDS1 before 2.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2006, 03:51:38 PM »

There are multiple subseries in SMT.  

There's Shin Megami Tensei with SMT 1 & 2 that were Japan only.  SMT 3 Nocturne is standalone.  There was SMT If... in Japan that was a prequel to SMT 1 and a spiritual prequel to Persona (the female lead in If... makes a cameo as Tamaki/Tammy in the Persona games.)  

There's Devil Summoner  and Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers which is a "what if?" scenario chronicling what would've happened had a catastrophic event in SMT 1 had NOT occurred.  

There's the Persona series, which is a gaiden series.  It in itself is its own self contained world where the characters in Persona 1 are adult NPCs in Persona 2: Innocent Sin and Persona 2: Eternal Punishment.  

The Devil Children series (aka DemiKids) is its own canon as well and even spawned an anime series in Japan.  It's MegaTen for the kiddies.  

And the DDS games are an all new MegaTen subseries.  

Other series include Majin Tensei (MT1, 2, Ronde) which are SRPGs.  There is the Last Bible series (Revelations: Demon Slayer was LB1) that takes place in a fantasy world.  And though it's not a MegaTen game per-se, the action game Maken X shares many MegaTen themes.  

Trying to piece together a timeline/chronology that encompasses ALL the games is futile.  It's all parallel universes, what-ifs, and all that.  There is the Megami Tensei umbrella and under it are a whole slew of subseries.

I approve of this nonsense!
^3R^
Banninated

3r.kamikaze@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2006, 04:04:15 PM »

Thanks a bunch Eusis and Dincrest. These posts will be very useful :)

Loos like the SMT universe is bigger than I expected although not all games are related, wich, sounds great to me. Maybe this is the birth of a new SMT maniac :p

So, any game in particular to start with?

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2006, 04:20:00 PM »

Either the newer released games (SMT:N and espicially DDS1+2) or Persona 2. I'd recommand the DDS games most myself.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 04:20:58 PM »

I suggest Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne to start off with.  It's probably be cheapest one to find and it's a fantastic game.  Digital Devil Saga games are also pretty easy to find.  I would also suggest Persona 2: Eternal Punishment though, it's an older PSone game and might be difficult to find in stores.

Two new SMT games are coming out later this year...  Devil Summoner and Persona 3.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2006, 04:58:04 PM »

I found I did better at SMT:N after playing DDS - partially because the ability to pick your own skills lets you try out most of the skills that SMT:N has without checking out every monster that comes along. :P
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2006, 05:40:16 PM »

There's Devil Summoner and Devil Summoner 2: Soul Hackers which is a "what if?" scenario chronicling what would've happened had a catastrophic event in SMT 1 had NOT occurred.

Wow, I didn't know that.  I thought it was just a spin-off like DDS and Persona.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2006, 05:43:36 PM »

I'd consider 'what if' scenarios to be spin offs myself, but that's just me.

Curiously, it seems none of the MegaTen games labeled 3, or at least third in their respective series, really need the prvious games to be played to be understood. SMT:N only has a connection that'll likely sail over your head if you don't go through the Amala Labyrinth, new Devil Summoner takes place in the past with seemingly no connection to the older games, outside of having the same detective agency, and Persona 3... Well, that doesn't /look/ connected at least.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2006, 05:54:21 PM »

Heh, yeah it seems Atlus R&D 1 has some kind of allergic reaction to the number 3 :P *LOL* So generally a 3rd game in a subseries has really no connection or a tenuous one at best.  

And if anyone's curious about the SMT/Devil Summoner connection...
Code:
About a third of the way through SMT 1, US president Thorman launches a set of Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles or ICBMs that decimates Japan.  This event always happens and is a canon event in SMT.  The rest of SMT1 and SMT2 take place in that post-apocalyptic Japan.  However, the first Devil Summoner games is a what-if scenario where Thorman is killed and the ICBMs are stopped.  This event alters the course of the future.  What's interesting is that in the SMT games, your main nemesis is a deity.  In the Devil Summoner games, your main nemesis is human; Sid Davis in DS1 and the Sid Davis led Phantom Society in Soul Hackers.

In any case, I agree that the DDS games are probably your best bet when starting your MegaTen journey.  The only thing the DDS games don't have that all other MegaTen games *do* have is the ability to talk to demons.  That's what I liked best when I first played Persona, because it was fun trying to talk my way out of battles too.  

The DDS and Persona games are the most "mainstream" of the Megami Tensei games.  Persona 1's play mechanics are more "old school" MegaTen while the Persona 2 games have a more streamlined interface.

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2006, 05:20:14 PM »

It's MegaTen for the kiddies.

MegaTen for kiddies still involves cock demons, genocide, fratricide, cock demons, random religious stuffs, and cock demons, though.

Anyway, DemiKids and Devil Children could be considered different things. Light/Dark/Fire/Ice have their own story that's seperate from Red/Black/White. For the record, RBW is a helluva lot better. Totally love that series. DemiKids is OKAY but not really great.

I would also suggest Persona 2: Eternal Punishment though, it's an older PSone game and might be difficult to find in stores.

EP got rereleased after SMTN. It's not that hard to find.

Anyway, personal recomendations? SMT:N and the first Persona are my favorites. I'd probably recommend starting with SMT:N, though.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2006, 06:47:36 PM »

I'm familiar with the Devil Children canon.  I've played some of Red book.  And yeah, Setsuna and Mirai are far more interesting as characters than Jin and Akira in Light and Dark.  I know it's the Setsuna/Mirai storyline that spawned an anime series.

Light and Dark do take place in the same school Setsuna and Mirai from Red and Black attended, so it's kinda the same setting-different storyline type thing.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: