Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 11:26:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327331 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Multiplayer RPGs
| | |-+  DDO Goes F2P
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: DDO Goes F2P  (Read 2392 times)
Serene Prophet

sereneprophet@yahoo.com sereneprophet
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 09, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174705

Well this is not a huge surprise, seeing how it never did commercially, though its done well enough to keep new content out.  And its nice that for them, F2P doesnt have to many restrictions on it.  You wont get some of the stuff, but I doubt you would want it if you weren't really to pay the monthly fee.  Still, it sounds like a pretty good setup for F2P, something alot of games seem to get wrong IMO, though I havn't researched it or anything, just from what ive seen.

-Give a man a fire, and hes warm for a day.  Light a man on fire, and hes warm for the rest of his life.-
HolyKnight
boredum invents amusement

98544544 jltidus zidane_6969
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 05:43:36 PM »

always wanted to try this game just never wanted to pay for it.  this is great!!!

~Currently Playing~
Final Fantasy Tactics (psp; FINALLY beat weigraf battle at end of chapter 3), Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (psp; almost at the end), Suikoden (psp download; just started), Star Ocean 2 (psp; just got to second planet), World of Warcraft (pc; The Forgotten Coast server, Level 73 Ret Paladin, Tormentblood
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 08:01:17 PM »

Keep in mind RFO went this route and was put down for good half a year later.  Odds are good the same thing will happen here - so check it out ASAP if you are interested.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
HolyKnight
boredum invents amusement

98544544 jltidus zidane_6969
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 12:38:41 AM »

i'd hate to put alot of time into it if its just gonna be shut down soon

~Currently Playing~
Final Fantasy Tactics (psp; FINALLY beat weigraf battle at end of chapter 3), Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core (psp; almost at the end), Suikoden (psp download; just started), Star Ocean 2 (psp; just got to second planet), World of Warcraft (pc; The Forgotten Coast server, Level 73 Ret Paladin, Tormentblood
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2009, 12:41:13 AM »

i'd hate to put alot of time into it if its just gonna be shut down soon

If you enjoy it then does it matter? I think that's the real question here.
Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 03:45:52 AM »

Not that simple. It takes a lot of effort to make progress in an MMO, all of which would go right down the drain as soon as the game gets shut down. Personally, I'd rather invest my time in an MMO with a more stable future.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 10:55:50 AM »

It's a pretty fun game. One thing different between this and other MMOs is that it isn't entirely about end game. There really aren't "OMG AWESOME" weapon or armor sets to get. It is a lot like an online version of Baldurs Gate. You go, you play, you are done.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 04:51:08 PM »

Not that simple. It takes a lot of effort to make progress in an MMO, all of which would go right down the drain as soon as the game gets shut down. Personally, I'd rather invest my time in an MMO with a more stable future.

It depends on the person.  My first love, Everquest, lasted me 6 - 8 months.  Since then, I've been lucky to play a game for 4 months straight.  Phantasy Star Universe and WoW's Lich King expansion are the only two that've kept my attention for more than 3 (in a row).  It really doesn't have to be a marriage, but that's just me.

DDO is a really cool experience... it's about solutions rather than brute force.  "Drink a fire resist potion and run as fast as you can through here"  "See any traps, rogue?"   "Get the mage to activate this switch"  It's pretty different, and I recommend it.

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
deadplayer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 12:34:06 PM »

Nice, free to play.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: