Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2014, 04:32:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332943 Posts in 13642 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFXIII Japanese vs English Voice Acting Comparison
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: FFXIII Japanese vs English Voice Acting Comparison  (Read 5023 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 10, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag1AAqsWWRQ

Main characters sound okay to me. Side characters (perfect tool chick) sound a bit off.

Discuss
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2009, 12:16:48 PM »

The 1:15 kinda sounds funny for some reason. Vanille kinda sounds like Rikku I think. Main character seems fine though.

But honestly... I prefer the Japanese more... I don't know why.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2009, 12:27:03 PM »

What's weird is that Vanille sounds really similar in both Japanese and English. However, you'd expect that type of voice from a Japanese VA, but it sounds really out of place in English.
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 01:06:38 PM »

If Vanille ends up sounding like another SO4 Sarah, things will die.

The English version seems a little off to me, but it's more to do with the character models' faces not being very expressive rather than the actual acting ability. Oh god, it's SO4 all over again. The English is admittedly a *bit* wooden, but it doesn't matter, I'll be using the English voice track regardless.

Just thinking about the weeaboos and their GLORIOUS NIPPON dub is already pissing me off. :P

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2009, 01:16:47 PM »

English or Japanese preferred, I still do think that games should give you the choice, especially RPGs!

Because there will be that one game that has really really shitty voice acting done by gamestop employees.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2009, 03:38:29 PM »

but it's more to do with the character models' faces not being very expressive rather

hats the first time I've really noticed it.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009, 03:48:27 PM »

I don't hear anything wrong with the English voices.  Then again, all I need is one of them scenes where English voice actors grunt and moan overly loud for every motion that the onscreen character does.  It's still infinitely better than the British accent cast from FFXII and DQVIII.  XSIII and Valkyria still rock the english dubs for me since I actually prefer them over the Japanese voices.

Finished RPG Count: 90
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2009, 03:53:19 PM »

The british voices for FF12 and DQ8 were brilliant...
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2009, 03:59:26 PM »

JP version sounds better except that bitch with the red hair. I fucking hate those overly high-pitched 8 year old girl voices.
Dincrest
Cleanup Crew
RPGFan Editor

Smile... they'll think you're up to something.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 04:04:24 PM »

This sounds par for the course for a typical SE FF English dub.  Mostly good, some meh.  It was like that in FFX (mostly good, save for that laughing scene and perhaps Seymour) and 12 as some mentioned.  I hardly expect dubs to be perfect, since something always gets lost in translation from one language to another.  In addition there's only a limited time to say a line and conversational English is paced differently from conversational Japanese.

Kinda makes me wonder what a Japanese dub of proverbial American cartoons (like Looney Tunes) would sound like.  Probably just as awkward as many of us find English dubs of Japanese material.  

EDIT 2: As far as the FF13 specifics go, my favorite voice was the English voice of the boy in the orange jacket.  He sounded a lot more convincing than his Japanese counterpart. 

EDIT: And anyone who's read my soundtrack reviews knows how I feel about helium voices.  Though the worst has to be Farleen's. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2009, 11:13:50 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2009, 04:25:54 PM »

They both sound good to me, but since we'll most likely only get the english version, I don't see any reason to be hopeful for more than one language (i'd probably go the english route myself anyway).

Red headed chick doesn't sound too bad in English.  Definitely nowhere near the level of Sarah.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2009, 05:26:26 PM »

QFT. I prefer the voice acting in those games over an other RPG I've ever played.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2009, 06:50:52 PM »

QFT. I prefer the voice acting in those games over an other RPG I've ever played.

Ditto, DQVIII is my favorite voice acting job, period. I'm replaying it now, it's utterly brilliant. Yangus and Trode are especially great. The ONLY ONE in the entire game who feels ever so slightly off is Red, whos pronunciation seems a bit forced at times.

Regarding the difference between English and Japanese. I get the impression from Japanese poetry and writing, that it's much more acceptable to have incredibly descriptive, stylized, and flowery language than in English. To our ears, it often comes across as decadent and pretentious, but that is part of the Japanese aesthetic. Even if you compare English to most other european languages, ours is probably the least stylized, and we have the lowest tollerance for flamboyancy (we owe that to the stodgy Brits who like warm beer, bad food, and have a special hatred for attracting attention). But I must admit, I start to cringe at the flamboyancy and decadance that my western ears precieve in Japanese writing. Localizers have a lot to take into consideration. You can be sure that most of the language is highly tamed down when it's brought over here. We simply wouldn't be able to put up with the emmense amount of stylized language that many of these games, movies, and anime likely have. We're coming to terms with their visual stylization (I, myself, love it, and think it's vastly more interesting than American hyper realism), but since language is constantly being tamed, those of us who don't know Japanese aren't desensitized to Japanese style in language.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2009, 07:27:45 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:38:37 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »

DQVIII voices were superb, best dub I've heard.

I wonder why FFXIII does not come with dual audio option. I mean, space shouldn't be a problem with blu-ray.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: