Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 06:11:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334832 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star II on XBLA
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star II on XBLA  (Read 9110 times)
N-Sef
Dinner! Dinner! Dinner!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2009, 03:21:13 AM »

I think I'll give this one a miss, I'm not the biggest fan of the series and I intend to get the Ultimate Collection on the 360.
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »

I always loved Buck Rogers as a Space RPG.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2009, 09:34:32 AM »

Buck Rogers is a WRPG (and Goldbox, for that matter).

You know, though, the german made Whale's Voyage is fairly JRPGish and even looks a lot like an early megaten game.

http://www.mobygames.com/images/shots/original/1075313750-00.gif <- See?

It also has a pretty Engrishy translation so you can pretend like you're playing an SNES-era JRPG!

http://members.chello.at/theodor.lauppert/games/whale_2.htm Apparently the sequel is freeware. It's also ugly and not in English so you might be playing it and yr mom'll walk and and be like "Oh my GAWD my SONS A NAZI" and then she'll go smash your Hummels.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:36:50 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2009, 07:55:07 PM »

Yeah, that was really cool looking, except PS3 had boring dungeons :(

yeah but i think it's better that way. especially since i cleared the game multiple times to see all the possible characters. i think my favorite path is the one where you mary Laya. also having played ps3 after pso its clear a lot of the inspiration for pso came from ps3.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2009, 08:00:48 PM »

yeah but i think it's better that way.

Sadly, I have to agree that PS3's boring-ass dungeons were better than the insanity-inducing clusterfucks PS2 had :L

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »

yeah but i think it's better that way.

Sadly, I have to agree that PS3's boring-ass dungeons were better than the insanity-inducing clusterfucks PS2 had :L

I used maps pretty frequently when I played. It wasn't worth the effort to decipher the later dungeons by yourself, and even earlier ones were that much of a pain.
Rudo
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2009, 08:40:04 PM »

By the way, I've seen Star Control 2 mentioned in this thread and I have to agree that this is one of the best Space game ever made.  I don't even know what type of game it is.  It has so many aspects that it's tough to label but it definitely appeals most to RPG fans.  I first saw this game when one of my friend bought it for his 3DO.  I laughed at him for buying an "unknown" game that looked like crap.. and then I watched him play and got hooked!  I went out and bought a 3DO and the game even though that freakin' machine cost $800 at the time.  I still think this is one of the best videogame experience of my life.  It's truly an amazing game and it stands the test of time.

For those who are unaware, the source code of the game was released a long time ago and the game is now available for free at the following page:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

It is now called The Ur-Quan Masters since "Star Control" is a trademark of Atari. Since it is now open-source, people can contribute to the game and improve it.  There are now various music remix pack that improves the music in the game, etc.  I highly suggest anybody who has never played this game to download it since it is FREE!  It's a little complicated to install and get working with the right options (including the 3DO voices and music) but it's well worth it.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: June 16, 2009, 05:30:33 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:58:03 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: