Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 03:12:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319161 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  More characters need to die boring deaths...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print
Author Topic: More characters need to die boring deaths...  (Read 9006 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2009, 01:53:00 PM »

Ya know what we need? More games that kill off characters. No, I'm not talking about melodramatic self-sacrificial scenes in which some aging samurai saves an entire party by making a suicide run into an enemy. I'm talking about just random boring death.

"Yeah! I just beat a boss, fuck yeah baby! Oh shit, I just slipped off a bridge" *dead*

"I'm going to ram you through with my saint blade! Oh crap, I just accidentally impaled myself on your jousting rod" *dead*

"Oh, please don't hurt me, oh no! What's this, a brain aneurysm?" *dead*

Everyone dies in overly heroic cutscenes that make me roll my eyes. The party's been walking precipices, avoiding spikes, subject to huge amounts of mental and physical trauma the entire time... please tell me that at some point during the history of RPGs, someone slips up, or slips down for that matter, and dies from something wholy random and uninteresting.

Life can kill ya. We need more of it.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2009, 02:34:10 PM »

Unless it's a "boring" death that is necessary for something specific in the plot, I don't want any of my characters to die. Not specifically for the story, but perhaps for battling as I invest too much time into the characters just for them to wantonly tumble to their deaths. Games with a bagillion characters I'm unlikely to use, like Suikoden, may have a bit more leniency under these terms as I don't invest much time in them.
Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2009, 02:34:57 PM »

It seems like a funny idea in theory, but I wouldn't want it in an RPG that's actually good. RPGs try to be so grandiose that a boring death like this would feel out of place. The only time it would be awesome would be in a game that utterly fails, say for example a tri-ace game. I would roll on the floor laughing if those two damn kids from Infinite Undisocvery died like this. Heck, Tri-Ace should just slowly kill off all of their cast in a string of random deaths throughout their games.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 02:38:46 PM by Jet16 » Logged
Animage

AnimageCGF
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2009, 03:15:11 PM »

I whole heartedly agree.  After all, half the RPGs are about some random farmer kid who takes on the impossible task of saving the world.

Hard to believe the kid has never stubbed his toe, or slammed his hand in a door on accident.  Would be realistic, but I would hate to spend hours doing a grindafewlevels-a-thon and watch my character slip off the walkway into a pit of spikes.

I'd laugh at it at first, but then I'd say god damn it, that was not time well spent.

Currently Playing : Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier
Last Game Beaten : Dragon Quest 5 : Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 03:20:32 PM »

I thought one of the classic RPG cliches was that a party member survives meteor spells, multi-story drops off buildings, battles with fierce dragons, but for plot purposes perma-dies from being stabbed with a knife. 

Shin Megami Tensei 1 pretty much handled death as "just another day in the office."

I approve of this nonsense!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2009, 03:33:34 PM »

You could possibly have a character who just... dies from some kind of disease or illness, but that's going to have to depend on the setting and the abilities the characters have. Phantasy Star IV kind of had it, but I don't really think it being caused by a spell exactly counts, while Persona 3...
Code:
... had Shinji slowly dying from the medicine he was taking though. Not that it really mattered in the end since he sacrificed himself, and only Takaya could have plausibly died that way. Since that was at the climax of the game though I don't think that quite counts.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2009, 03:37:41 PM »

Eus, I think the poignancy of dying in P3 was best expressed in the Sun S-link with Akinari.

I approve of this nonsense!
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »

Eus, I think the poignancy of dying in P3 was best expressed in the Sun S-link with Akinari.

On the topic of P3, I liked how you could take your character to go to the bathroom. I always wondered how in other RPGs the characters could go on forever without nature ever rearing it's ugly head.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »

What about
Code:
Biggs, Wedge, and Jessie
in FF7? I don't think a critical main character should die so easily but I wouldnt mind any second string characters die in battle.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2009, 04:21:57 PM »

I dunno, that did well for the most part until the end where
Code:
he just vanished rather than actually die in a more normal fashion. You could possibly argue that was his ghost tying up the loose ends before he moves on, or that it's a video game and I shouldn't care anyway, but the S-Links were, for the most part, pretty down to Earth in contrast to the main storyline.
Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »

Let's not forget Fire Emblem - when your characters die, it's really game over for them.  No Life Elixar 9000, no feather or down off a large avian's arse.  Just death.

I guess it's all up to how the game handles it.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2009, 06:15:48 PM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 07:43:24 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2009, 10:09:06 PM »

I think a LOT of things need to be more mundane in RPGs.  Oftimes, the scope is just retarded.  Hi, I'm 12.  I am going to travel THE ENTIRE GLOBE and SAVE THE GALAXY from an evil that's ten million years old.

No.  You're gonna be raped the second you step in a strange town without your mommy to look after you.

What I'm saying, is that we need more child rape in games.

(No, seriously, I agree with needing more day to day things in RPGs.)

Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2009, 11:59:03 PM »

Pft, adults are too busy with life to save the world. Frankly, I don't know if a 20-45-something aged character would do anything for me unless the writers  could create a mature character without emphasizing sex explicitly because of the age difference. I'd like to see the extremes of ages being represented: like a 50 year old menopausal woman or a 75 year old man vying for his younger years. Tellah RPG?
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2009, 12:58:32 AM »

I don't want day-to-day shit in my games because I put up with day-to-day shit everyday in real life.  I'm playing to get away from that.  I don't need my game character to die randomly because "oops lol he tripped into the pit of hellfire", I want him to die because he rode a missile into space to destroy an asteroid that was going to destroy the planet.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: