Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 09:33:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319735 Posts in 13047 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Western JRPG thread.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The Western JRPG thread.  (Read 9180 times)
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2009, 11:50:45 PM »

I like older WRPGs like Wasteland, Bard's Tale, Phantasie, Battletech and the SSI D&D games.

The thing I find with newer games is that there's so much emphasis on equipment and stats, that you can end up sitting there for half an hour screwing with stuff before you accomplish anything.

Huh? I find that most newer games have completely removed the importance of equipment and stats, atleast on the JRPG front. On the western side of the scale, not much has really changed I find.

Most JRPGs have even done away with most stats and equipment, giving you maybe a new weapon or armor, and the 4 basic stats.

I was referring to WRPGs, and thinking along the lines of stuff like Diablo 2, which is probably the last real WRPG I've played for any real length of time.

It doesn't make sense to produce a game that probably won't sale well domestically, although a few oddballs pop up now and then.

Interesting you say that at a time when more Japanese companies than ever have said they are focusing on games that cater to Westerners.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2009, 11:52:53 PM by Lard » Logged

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2009, 12:31:26 AM »

Some of the better commercial RPGM games are quite good.  Eternal Eden is still one of the most fun RPGs I've played of late.  It would be cool to see some of the good indie RPGM devs experiment with settings, storytelling and character archetypes from or inspired by their countries of origin. 

Haha you certainly don't want a game based on Québec's origin, it will be horrible haha but well, I can think about a funny concept someday based on our origins :P

Honestly Western Lords is probably a game that you will enjoy very much. Just pray that I can enlarge my fan/customer list to start this one, right now it's not a good idea to throw myself in such a tall project. The scenario is all writen, just need real funds.
Animage

AnimageCGF
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2009, 01:02:39 AM »

I always felt western RPGs hit at the Wizardy market to the Hack N Slash Diablo II era games.

At least that's how I've felt that westerners made the guidlines to an RPG.

Currently Playing : Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier
Last Game Beaten : Dragon Quest 5 : Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2009, 06:09:44 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 06:59:36 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2009, 07:41:57 AM »

Aren't those [Dragon Knight games] H-games?

Yes.

I've been trying to watch the anime of Tears to Tiara and I'm just not seeing what's so great about it.

The best moment I've come across thus far was at the end of the second episode where the first imperial rear end in a top hat is now dead, and the good guys hightail it out of whatever Dodge they called their home, and the scene cuts away to the imperial commander getting a report from his subordinate about the events, and his response is that while the afore mentioned rear end in a top hat got exactly what he deserved for trying to resurrect a guy named The Demon Lord those pesky rebels can't be allowed to go around burning down villages.

It's the only joke so far that I managed to get more than a chuckle out of. The story otherwise feels uninspired and the characters moreso (other than the afore mentioned Imperial commander for the afore mentioned reason of having the best lines).

I haven't seen the anime, but the story starts off pretty slow and lackluster in the game too.  It gets pretty interesting towards the end, but like I said, it's mostly about the character gags.  Ironically, while the storytelling was pretty unique for an RPG, in anime form it may come off seeming rather run of the mill.

Interesting you say that at a time when more Japanese companies than ever have said they are focusing on games that cater to Westerners.

Focusing on games that cater to Westerners and not Japanese?  Maybe they're trying to incorporate elements that would appeal to Westerners, but I haven't heard of Japanese companies jumping on the bandwagon to make games in the Elder Scrolls vein.  Also, "more than ever" doesn't mean much for a nation known for being uncannily isolationist, although it's almost certainly true.  It still has a long way to go yet.  The Final Fantasy series is probably the best example of Western influences being a large motivating factor for a Japanese developer.  The big names have the resources and international presence to successfully market a game targeted at foreign markets.  The small companies...not as much.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 08:13:30 AM by magusgs » Logged

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2009, 12:07:27 PM »

Well Squeenix, and Capcom have both said Japan has "fallen behind" in terms of game design and that they're specifically going to make games that cater to a more Western audience. Kojima and Akira Yamaoka from Konami have also made comments about Japan "falling behind". I think Persona 3&4 prove that they're full of crap, but that's just me.

erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »

Well Squeenix, and Capcom have both said Japan has "fallen behind" in terms of game design and that they're specifically going to make games that cater to a more Western audience. Kojima and Akira Yamaoka from Konami have also made comments about Japan "falling behind". I think Persona 3&4 prove that they're full of crap, but that's just me.
Well, despite my personal view that Persona 3: FES is the greatest game ever created, it's hard to deny that Persona 4 is basically Persona 3 with some tweaks and a different story. Neither of those games really propelled the genre forward - they're just freaking amazing games without doing so. Then again, their mass appeal could be described as limited at best.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »

They probably mean for higher end games. Persona 3 and 4 are fantastic but don't really push 3D game design in any way, nor are they the kinds of games that'll normally wow millions.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2009, 06:01:46 PM »

Secondly, are you suggesting to everyone to go climb a mountain because it's there?

Not at all! A mountain is an intense and very physical challenge, but it isn't really a puzzle!

And finally, are you some kind of balding/overweight starship captain from the 23rd century?

Are you referencing something I am not getting :T

Also, the Elder Scrolls games were pretty niche until Morrowind came along, and MOrrowind and Oblivion appeal more to, in a mass audience perspective, the GTA mindset than the WRPG mindset. Although Morrowind had more mass appeal within the WRPGer group because it had a coherent storyline and all of the content was actually made by a person.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2009, 08:22:40 PM »

yes i was refering to the 3rd age.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 09:00:09 PM »

They probably mean for higher end games. Persona 3 and 4 are fantastic but don't really push 3D game design in any way, nor are they the kinds of games that'll normally wow millions.

I get your point, butl considering a higher end game like Bionic Commando got mixed reviews and has sold less than both P3 and P4, I think "higher end" is subjective.

blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 11:00:52 PM »

As an indie developer I will see if I can plan a RPG with a Western feeling inside it.

P.S: I think FF12 was intended to have a wrpg mood, but most people just underrated this game.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 01:22:18 AM »

Actually, the closest recent game I can think of of a WRPG feeling like a JRPG is Barkley, Shut Up & Jam Gaiden.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 01:23:32 AM »

I get your point, butl considering a higher end game like Bionic Commando got mixed reviews and has sold less than both P3 and P4, I think "higher end" is subjective.

Valid point, though I have heard May's the slowest month for game sales.

Actually, that leads me to wondering if this might just be something of a fad. For every Metroid Prime there seem to be ten attempts at having a Western team helm a series only to fail to make a good game at all, let alone get it.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 02:35:28 AM by Eusis » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: