Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 30, 2014, 10:58:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335178 Posts in 13724 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The awful war between JRPGFans and WRPGFans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: The awful war between JRPGFans and WRPGFans  (Read 13283 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2009, 03:09:06 AM »

And also one here.

That isn't the same, at all.
blackthirteen

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2009, 03:32:31 AM »

There are wars and debates for almost everything nowadays, people just cannot share their opinions together in a respectful way and accept the fact that tastes can be different for each other.

The main fact is that both WRPG and JRPG have been cherished by all types of fans for decades, it's clear that they are two amazing genres.

I personaly prefer to play Japanese RPGs but I don't believe that WRPG are inferior. Actually, FF12 was a mix between JRPG and WRPG and it proved to be a great game.

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2009, 04:09:39 AM »

I always thought it was more of a PC vs console RPG war, just like there is a PC vs console gaming war in general. Hardware is one of the main reasons why I rarely bother with western RPGs. I guess I could play some games from before 2002 on my system, but why bother when I have a big stack of DS, PSP and PS2 RPGs I want to play?
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2009, 04:13:01 AM »

« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 08:34:31 PM by KillerArmoire » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2009, 04:23:56 AM »

I have always preferred JRPGs over WRPGs. I just find them more entertaining, and I tend to find them more enjoyable. Over the past few years however, I have grown on a few more WRPGs. Oblivion is awesome (sadly, I haven't played Morrowind), and from what I've played of Mass Effect and Fallout 3 (haven't played Fallout 1 or 2 either), they're awesome too. I have also played Diablo II and Knights of the Old Republic, I also really enjoyed them. While I still prefer JRPGs, WRPGs just seem to be higher in terms of quality than some of the JRPGs I have played this generation. Hopefully, Final Fantasy XIII will make an impact in the quality of 7th-Gen JRPGs (I must admit though, Valkyria Chronicles has helped a fair bit). We just need to wait and see.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2009, 05:04:17 AM »

I too preferred JRPGs over WRPGs, WRPGs basically isn't my thing but I have to admit WRPGs nowadays are good and it's doing well in the market.

What's really sad are the reasons why people hate JRPGs and WRPGs because of very shallow reasons such as... "boys look like girls in JRPGs therefore it sucks balls" and a new one that I have read in different forums "girls look like men in WRPGs".

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2009, 06:26:04 AM »

"girls look like men in WRPGs".

True. Of course, there are plenty of exceptions, but I just don't like the tits, ass & muscle designs. Sure, the girls in JRPG's provide plenty of fanservice as well, but atleast they wear cute outfits!
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2009, 06:59:23 AM »

These "wars" are so retarded. Console wars, hardcore vs. casual players and now wRPG vs. jRPG, with the occasional jRPG bashing. Yeah right, what's going to be the next trend?
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2009, 07:04:23 AM »

These "wars" are so retarded. Console wars, hardcore vs. casual players and now wRPG vs. jRPG, with the occasional jRPG bashing. Yeah right, what's going to be the next trend?

Right now I've seen a lot of these despite being part of console wars, console wars are being subcategorized quickly:
Gran Turismo vs. Forza vs. Real Life
Natal vs. Sony's Motion Control
Sony E3 vs. Nintendo E3 vs. Xbox 360 E3

« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 07:06:25 AM by Hoshino_Kid » Logged

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Losfer
The Pope

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 08:02:39 AM »

JRPGs are superior because they come from a superior Country.

"If it's made in the East, it's gonna be a beast."

faridmon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2009, 09:16:23 AM »

the thing is i don't hate the WRPG just for the sake of it or because the fans or something like that.
in fact i don't hate it at all, its just i don't like the art style they always use, and its not only in games. i never enjoyed fantasy setting stories like Harry Potter or Lord of the rings.

so i have an excuse.
erwos

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2009, 12:45:57 PM »

There's a war? Where?

If it's an RPG and looks interesting, I buy it, period, end of story.
magusgs
Resident Otaku

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2009, 01:00:50 PM »

I play both, but I'm finding my interests being increasingly pulled towards JRPGs.  As someone else said, I find nonlinearity paralyzing.  I don't want a sandbox game.  I want a story presented with direction and focus.  Some WRPGs do a great job with that (most Bioware / Black Isle / Obsidian games for example).  But I can pick up a JRPG and know almost for sure that's what I'm going to get, along with all the Japanese cultural trappings I've come to enjoy.  I can be satisfied by a mediocre JRPG, whereas WRPGs have to work a bit harder to impress me I think, and even then there's certain aspects that can ruin the experience for me.  I can't stand Bethesda games.  Every time a new one comes out I tell myself this one will be different...but every single one I've picked up I grew bored with after a few hours.  Their style of gameplay is just completely off-putting.  On the other hand, I enjoyed Neverwinter Nights 2 and even the less well-received expansion Storm of Zehir. <shrug>

The content of this post represents solely the opinion of the user, and is not guaranteed for accuracy, completeness, or usefulness.  Any facts potentially contained therein may have little or no basis in reality.  RPGFan shall not be held liable for fits of aggression or disgust inspired by the contents of this post.  Read at your own risk.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 02:08:46 PM »

I think the Roundtable Discussion some of the RPGFan staff engaged in back in 2007 is appropo for this thread. 

http://www.rpgfan.com/features/roundtable2007/index.html

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 04:20:25 PM »

WRPGs have been a bit watered down lately in terms of depth, but that's probably because of production costs. I mean, when you put in great graphics and full voice acting, you lose so much. Oblivion's conversations were so barren compared to Morrowind. Fallout 3 lacked the distinct freedom the others had. Etc.

I've played the better WRPGs this gen: The Witcher, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Mass Effect. All really great, fun games, but they seem to have drifted off course of what some of the genre usually offers.

Give me another Gothic 2: Gold any day. That game, IMO, defines the WRPG genre's full steps into the 3d realm with full voice acting, characters on schedules, etc. 

I have high hopes for Dragon Age as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: