Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:26:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327256 Posts in 13401 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Question..
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Question..  (Read 2378 times)
Amon

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 04, 2006, 03:10:16 PM »

Ok so here is the deal.. I really like RPG games.. especially turn based.. But I really don't know much about them, like, which are the best and that kind of stuff..  I used to be a part of this website like two years ago.. I've played a lot of different RPGs but honestly I have no time for games anymore.. Really, the last really great RPG I played was Grandia II.. I really would like to know if any of you know any games that will make me want to FIND time for them.. (Please not just the other grandia games..)

Thanks.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2006, 05:50:50 PM »

That's always a tough question to answer, because it varies among each and every one of us. All I could do is throw you some suggestions, that I think you would enjoy very much. Having said that, onto the suggestions:

[*]Mother 3 -- It came out last month, and got received with critical acclaim. You may remember Mother 2 (Also known as: EarthBound in the US) more than a decade ago. This new one is for the Game Boy Advance, and it took several years to release, so it had a lot to live up to. All in all, it lived up to its name, but strays away from the usual simplified storyline and setting. I highly recommend checking this out, if you have a Game Boy Advance. The only thing is, you'll have to import it, because a US version has not been announced yet. Although you could always follow a translation guide from GameFAQs. (Like I'm doing)

[*]Xenogears -- This is for the Playstation, and I don't know if you've played it, but it's left a huge place in many of our hearts. It is a traditional turn-based sprite RPG, with unique elements not found in many RPGs. Very text heavy, so if you don't mind that, give it a spin sometime.

[*]Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim -- It's not a traditional turn-based RPG, but just as good, in my opinion. This is an action RPG for the Playstation 2. (And now the Playstation Portable) Anyway, it's an excellent, fun adventure. It has an addictive battle system, and an average...typical storyline.
    [/list]

That's all I got right now, but there are A LOT more to list, only I never set aside time to play console RPGs these days. I'm sure the others will fufill your request in no time. :P (*cough* Suikoden V *cough*) Heh.

And PS: I want to play that soon.
    Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #2 on: June 04, 2006, 06:06:48 PM »

I wouldn't say Xenogears is traditional in any sense. Sure there are sprites, but that's as far as it goes, IMO.

I think a better draw would be "one of the greatest, if not the greatest, story ever told in an RPG." :P
    Eusis
    Administrator

View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: June 04, 2006, 06:13:18 PM »

... And an overworld, towns, dungeons like you'd see in other RPGs, and random battles where everyone takes turns.

I think it's more accurate to say it's different from others because of the combo attack system, ability to control mechas as well as humans, along with jumping around in dungeons, a sci-fi theme, and the fact the second disc is more text than game; in other words, essentially what Miho said. But it's just as traditional as most RPGs can claim to be anymore. If you want a turn based RPG that really isn't traditional in any sense (except for a fantasy theme I guess), go look at VP. :P

There's already a topic like this, and my response would be largely the same.

Edit: Screw it, rewrote much of the second paragraph.
    Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #4 on: June 04, 2006, 10:06:54 PM »

Quote from: "Eusis"
    ... And an overworld, towns, dungeons like you'd see in other RPGs, and random battles where everyone takes turns.

I think it's more accurate to say it's different from others because of the combo attack system, ability to control mechas as well as humans, along with jumping around in dungeons, a sci-fi theme, and the fact the second disc is more text than game; in other words, essentially what Miho said. But it's just as traditional as most RPGs can claim to be anymore. If you want a turn based RPG that really isn't traditional in any sense (except for a fantasy theme I guess), go look at VP. :P

There's already a topic like this, and my response would be largely the same.

Edit: Screw it, rewrote much of the second paragraph.

Sure, when you simplify a game down to it's elements, any game can be traditional if you decide how many points of comparison to use. I'm looking at the whole package, here. VP also had towns, characters, an overworld, and a story right?

OMG TRADITIONAL!

When someone says "traditional", I think they mean, like, in the style of FFIV, Dragon Quest, or Lunar, since, you know, using a genre's conventions to show it's use of tradition is basically saying that a non-traditional essay can't be written on paper or use words. I just wouldn't call Xenogears "traditional." Dragon Quest VIII is a recent game that I would call "traditional", so that should give you a good idea of where I'm coming from. :P

So, yeah, sorry it got this big; kind of a useless debate now that I think of it. It just depends on your view, I guess.
    Leo

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2006, 11:23:38 PM »

Not to stray off topic too far, but I'll just chime in that if I had to define "tradition" regarding RPGs, I would probably just say it has sprites. Of course, you could break it down even further and talk about the basic formula of your Dragon Quest type games/Phantasy Star games/early Final Fantasy games. But, yeah, I understand where you're coming from, Merkava.
    Eusis
    Administrator

View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 11:28:37 PM »

Well, VP's handling of the towns/dungeons/the overworld was unlike other RPGs (espicially since towns were pretty much just put in for things to happen), but... Yeah, not much point taking this further.

Edit: Well. I want to add that in my eyes, traditional is basically any RPG that's turn based, has parties filled with static or largely static characters, has you going to towns, and at least recognizably follows the pattern set by DQ and FF. But if we want to get into a debate over what makes an RPG traditional or not, we can make a seperate topic for that... Though I could see it crashing, burning, then locked. :P
    Amon

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #7 on: June 05, 2006, 12:23:51 AM »

Wow.. great I'll be sure to check some of these out..

but just a couple of things, what exactly is VP.. and sprites??

..sorry.. I told you I don't know much.. I'm more of a music buff.. But keep it coming!!

you're all awesome..

thanks so much..
    Eusis
    Administrator

View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: June 05, 2006, 12:39:26 AM »

VP is Valkyrie Profile. It's a late PSX game that's exceedingly rare now, and considered one of the best on the system; I didn't think so when I initially played it, but I think I just expected too much out of it. It costs an assload to get, but a PSP port is going to be out in little over a month, so I'd just get that one.

Sprites, well, I suck at explainting, so here's a a wikipedia link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(computer_graphics)

Edit: Apparantly that url, for whatever reason (I think it's the parenthesizes) won't work right in code. So it's submitted like this.

Edit 2: ... It's the parenthesizes.
    Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
    « Reply #9 on: June 05, 2006, 07:31:08 PM »

Hey Amon, if the last great RPG you played was Grandia II, which is one of my favourites, don't be tempted to play Grandia III.  It is utter crap in my opinion.  For this generation of turn-based RPGs, I'd recommend just Skies of Arcadia, Suikoden V, and Shadow Hearts Covenant.  RPGs have been mostly in the action-oriented or strategic side as of late.

Finished RPG Count: 90
    Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
    « Reply #10 on: June 06, 2006, 12:17:04 AM »

And to counteract the last post, I loved Grandia 2 and I loved Grandia 3.  Not quite as much as I loved Grandia 2, but I'm still very glad that I bought it (at full price no less).  On the other hand, I tried to get into Shadow Hearts: Covenant and though it started out cool enough, I just couldn't get into it.

Skies of Arcadia is a so-so RPG with an awesome setting (pirates in airships flying around islands that float in the sky).  It was enjoyable, but not a must have.

As far as recent stuff goes, I'd just say go to http://atlus.com/ and check out their recent games.  Atlus hasn't released a truly bad RPG in a while (even Magna Carta had its share of merits).  I particularly recommend the Shin Megami Tensei games.

Pages: [1] Print 
    « previous next »
    Jump to: