Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 14, 2014, 10:03:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331265 Posts in 13564 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Where were you when the world stopped spinning?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Where were you when the world stopped spinning?  (Read 3263 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2009, 04:55:25 PM »

So all of my new co-workers like country and play it on the radio, and this Alan Jackson song came on.

I was in 8th grade, and it was like... third of fourth period advanced math. The teachers were hesitant to tell the students anything but I was in advanced math so my teacher went ahead and told us anyway (she also was under the impression the Capitol building had been bombed too). Their attempts at secrecy proved futile, though, because I went to one of the schools that got ChannelOne news, and that came on at fifth period, and yeah.

Weird coincidence. History teacher, second period, gave us an assignment that night: write about a recent event from a newspaper.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 07:50:57 PM »

What are you referring to?  9/11 when the Twin Tow ers were hit by the hijacked planes? 

I had just started a grad program at NYU, and you could even see the towers from one corner of my building.  The weekend before it happened, I was out with some local friends, we saw the towers from the corner of the building and one guy said "the towers look happy."  My building was only a handful of subway stops from the towers.  It was scary being under lockdown; I couldn't leave NYC and my family couldn't get in.  For weeks afterward, I could still smell the rubble from my balcony and there was black ash from it all too.

I woke up that morning to frantic knocking at my door and my neighbor freaking out telling me to go watch the news.  It's hard for me to describe how I felt that day.  Disillusioned, scared, helpless, it took a lot of courage for me to step outside my apartment and take a walk just to see what was going on.  Turns out a lesson from a recent social psychology class was in full effect.  That the closer you are to a catastrophe on this scale, the sooner people pull themselves together and stop being scared.  I did not get any backlash or hostility from the denizens.  They knew I was a bystander like they all were.  In fact, out on the streets of NYC, I was enjoying great conversations with lots of random people. 

But the farther away you are, the more people go out of their way to justify their fears.  A buddy of mine (also Indian) was doing grad work at UAlbany, and he got hate stares on the bus.

It's one of those things that will never leave me. 

EDIT: My roommate wasn't home, he was at his girlfriend's place in Harlem.  She later told me he slept through the whole thing. 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2009, 08:29:05 AM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 07:59:54 PM »

So all of my new co-workers like country and play it on the radio, and this Alan Jackson song came on.

If you have not seen it, you must absolutely watch this episode of South Park. It's all I can think about when I hear that stupid Alan Jackson song.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2009, 08:28:01 PM »

whats going on in this thread guys

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:20 PM »

The usual. 

Meshy's being weird.  I'm being verbose and trying to put more heart into this nonsense than I really should.  Pat's chiming in like he does every once in a while.  And you actually did not fulfill your role in that your reply lacked snark:P

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 09:11:00 PM »

Neal's story was probably the best, here.

Also, really not trying to be weird. This is honestly a genuine question! Albeit... um... somewhat arbitrarily and poorly phrased. And I got the lyrics wrong anyway.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2009, 10:24:58 PM »

I was in 11th grade chemistry.  We knew something had happened because the sneakernet was saying to turn the tvs on.  Everything stopped dead in its tracks as we watched the second tower get hit.

I remember feeling a sense of dread.  It's funny about the law of seven degrees, because when I went to college, I found out that one of the potential bombers had gone there.  Then to top that off, a town near where I live ended up being tied to more guys trying to hijack planes.  Really scary considering I live in the middle of nowhere.....

It's just ironic how everything is tied together.  A few coworkers of mine were in New York when the Trade Center was destroyed.  It's something they'll certainly remember.

Here's hoping to the end of all the violence....
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2009, 06:45:12 AM »

The usual. 

Meshy's being weird.  I'm being verbose and trying to put more heart into this nonsense than I really should.  Pat's chiming in like he does every once in a while.  And you actually did not fulfill your role in that your reply lacked snark:P

Okay, okay.  Let me fix that.

If the world stopped spinning WE WOULD ALL DIE.

So it wouldn't matter where we were standing CAUSE WE'D BE FUCKING CORPSES.

Seriously, the lack of astrological and cosmic thinking in this thread makes me want to roll flaming Stephen Hawking at you guys.

THE ULTIMATE FATE OF THE UNIVERSE IS SERIOUS BUSINESS.

fucking false vacuum

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2009, 08:24:20 AM »

I was working at Stanford at the time, and when I was getting ready for work, the news was talking about how the first tower had been hit.  At the time, I was pretty sure it was just a horrible accident, but then the second tower got hit, and I realized it wasn't.  I live in Utah, so I normally would have flown home on Thursday (it happened on a Tuesday, I'm pretty sure), but with the planes not flying, I just told Hertz I was turning in my car somewhere else and made the 12 hour drive in one straight shot.

Last year, I stayed at a hotel right next to where the towers were.  I took some pictures looking down into the crater where they're trying to build the new stuff.  I can post them if anyone wants to see them.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Masamune

XzMaSaMuNezX
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »

I was in 9th grade earth science.  Our principal announced over the intercom that there had been an accident in New York involving a plane, that was obviously before the 2nd plane hit.  My science teacher was an absolute bitch and decided that teaching us about electrons and protons was more important then a terrorist attack and thus did not allow us to watch tv.  About an hour later I got to catch up on the events in my next class.

I wasn't able to truly feel the effect of it until much later on in my life, once I started seeing all the stuff on teh interwebs that the media didn't show I started to really feel the full effect of the event.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2009, 11:04:11 PM »

In an airport in South Korea, waiting to get on my flight to go home for my sister's wedding.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »

I was in my Living Room watching Transformers: Robots in Disguise. D:

Yes I lose this thread by default, but at least I'm honest about it!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2009, 11:15:09 AM »

Honestly.. I was sleeping. (Yeah, I'm on the West Coast...) and someone called to tell me. I was supposed to work in the afternoon, so I spent the rest of the morning watching CNN and talking about it in various IRC channels.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Marshmallow

OH NO OH NO OH NO

AuroMarshmallow
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2009, 04:42:55 PM »

I was at school. I guess I'm callous, but it didn't hit me for a few weeks how much this would affect the world. At the time I just wanted to go home early.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2009, 05:00:11 PM »

I was in Biology class in my freshman year of high school. We heard the radio reports and there was cheering from all over the school. Many people were saying, "yeah, innocence prevails!", and others were saying, "this is a sad day for democracy".

Wait... we are talking about OJ, right?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: