Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:48:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327872 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Best RPG Vocal Tracks
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Best RPG Vocal Tracks  (Read 10263 times)
Gilgamesh19

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 21, 2009, 10:29:06 AM »

Hey everyone, I'm new to these forums and I would like to start out by asking everyone to help me make a list of the best RPG vocal tracks.  There are a lot of really good songs out there so if everyone just mentions a few of their favorite songs, we could get a really cool list going.  I would love to see people list some songs that I don't know of because I could use new songs to make into a playlist.

alright, I hope everyone participates. I will begin with some of my favorites:

Small two of Pieces - Xenogears
Stars of Tears - Xenogears
Exceeding Love - Suikoden III opening (if you count it as a vocal)
Why - FFVII Crisis Core
Melodies of Life - FFIX
Eyes on Me - FFVIII
Radical Dreamers - Chrono Cross
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2009, 10:42:33 AM »

Vocal themes... I've heard many (not just in games but from reviewing soundtracks as well). Some were excellent, some were awful, most were in the middle. 

The RPG vocal theme that I first thought of was "Mitsukete Your Dream" by Yukari Yoshida.  It's the opening to Tales of Phantasia.  The SNES version is amazing for being on a cartridge, and the redone version for the PSX remake with the piano part is great too.  I also recall hearing a remixed version of the SNES version with upgraded synth and everything.  The GBA version released in the US did not have this song but instead some lame instrumental. Boooooo!

For visual novels, the first that comes to mind is "Went Away" by KOTOKO, which opens Hourglass of Summer.  I love that song.  I was so disappointed that it wasn't on the OST.  I still need to find the full length version of that song.  When I first heard that piano line starting the song, I was hooked. 

"For Tomorrow's Weather" from Memories Off: 2nd is probably my 2nd favorite visual novel theme song.  It really fits the slightly darker undertones to the game. 

If you're counting vocal themes that are not in the game but are on, say, a "vocal collection" soundtrack featuring the voice cast, then easily "Squall Rise Above" from the Ever17: The Out of Infinity Vocal Collection.  That's probably my favorite video game vocal theme overall. 
« Last Edit: June 21, 2009, 10:48:57 AM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Gilgamesh19

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »

Wow, thanks for the suggestions.  I will definitely have to check them out. 

The Xenogears: Creid soundtrack and the various vocal soundtracks of the FF games and Suikoden series I have enjoyed listening to.  So no, the songs don't have to actually be in the game. If they are awesome then that is all that matters.   

Most of the stuff I listen to is more recent, I never even knew that Tales of Phantasia had a vocal song in it.  very cool. 
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 09:07:16 PM »

Most RPG songs with vocals are shite, because they're just shitty Jpop songs chucked in a game.  See: Grandia III, the remake of Star Ocean on PSP, the Neo Shining games, etc.

The best vocal track in a game is 100% Elena's prayer song from Grandia II.  And that makes sense, since she's a fucking /songstress/.

...And what's with the lyric subject matter in these songs, most of the time, these songs are about falling in love.  It's just like anime, the lyrical cohesion is retarded.  When I load up fucking Berserk, I don't want to hear A FUCKING LOVE SONG THIRTY SECONDS BEFORE GUTS STARTS CHOPPING NECKS.

Fuck.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2009, 11:20:44 PM »

Small two of Pieces - Xenogears
Eyes on Me - FFVIII
Radical Dreamers - Chrono Cross

I'll give you these three as some of the best Square has ever had. And I would also count the SuikoIII opening as a vocal, and it is indeed awesome.

Here are some other awesome vocal tracks from RPGs worth checking out:

Kiss Me Sweet - Sakura Taisen V (omfg it's coming soon...can't wait!)
Minuet - Romancing SaGa Minstrel Song
Passion - Kingdom Hearts II (I prefer Japanese version to English, so no "Sanctuary" here)
"Love Prison" - Cartagra
Endless History - Ys II (there's a couple versions of this one, they're all good)
Route B Staff Roll "Exhausted" - Drakengard (Drag-On Dragoon)
Disc 2 Opening: Resistance Line - Wild Arms 2nd Ignition
"I'm Home" (Tadaima) - Alundra 2
Follow the Nightingale - Tales of Innocence
hepatica (KOS-MOS) - Xenosaga Ep III (this plays in the final fight vs. T-Elos)
White Night Imagination - Atelier Iris
anything from Ar tonelico or Ar tonelico 2 (just had to list that as a disclaimer)

Also, any vocals on these album:
http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/srt-jam/index.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/mol-dream/index.html
http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/mol-love/index.html (PROMISE from the game "Moon" is amazing here)
http://www.rpgfan.com/soundtracks/loh6sc-sav/index.html

Not an exhaustive list, but certainly a good one. :)

Ramza

Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2009, 11:47:07 PM »

The songs from PSO were pretty cool too.

And I completely blame SE and Kingdom Hearts for the blight of shitty, inappropriately used Japanese pop songs.

Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2009, 04:58:09 AM »

How about the vocal tracks' relevance to the gameplay/story?  When Disney started using songs that weren't sung by characters in their movies (Elton John in the Lion King), I lost interest... that may not be why exactly, but it's what I chose as a marker.  I much prefer the characters to sing.  So while some songs may be fantastic pieces of music, are they fantastic elements of the game itself?

I like the boat song in Lunar: Silver Star Story .

I didn't understand why Eyes On Me was such a big deal when FFVIII came out.  I wasn't judging the music... I just thought it was tacked on.  I'm pretty sure Eyes On Me is a better song musically than the boat song in Lunar, but I cared more for the boat song because I was playing a video game, and it was made to be part of the story in a way.

Just some food for thought...

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:59 AM »

Fei = Correct.

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2009, 09:54:03 AM »

On the other hand with some visual novels, you have songs sung by the cast.  Depending on which girl you end Tea Society of a Witch with, you get a different end credits song sung by the actress.  Pity the US version of that game was edited.  Megumi had had the best ending theme in the OST, but you couldn't follow her path in the game.

Heh, and go figure, Squall Rise Above in the Ever17 vocal collection was sung by Tsugumi's voice actress and she was the most compelling character in the game. 

Then again though, Lossie poo, in love adventures the love songs you want to smash into pieces actually work. 

So how about Blue Dragon's boss theme, eh? :P
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:58:04 AM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2009, 07:39:02 PM »

I like the boat song in Lunar: Silver Star Story .

Ditto, one of the first I thought of. And probably the only example I can think of of "diagetic" music (music that is taking place IN the game world instead of being tacked on over the top).

I'm pretty sure Eyes On Me is a better song musically than the boat song in Lunar, but I cared more for the boat song because I was playing a video game, and it was made to be part of the story in a way.

No, you were right the first time, the lunar boat song is just better than Eyes on Me in every way. Honestly, Melodies of Life is my favorite of the FF ballads, and I still think it sucks. Eyes on Me isn't as bad as the FFX track, but it's still pretty terrible.

Quote from: Dincrest
So how about Blue Dragon's boss theme, eh? :P

Honestly, I like that tune... DISPITE it's vocals. If I tune out the absolutely terrible singing and lyrics, the music is pretty badass. But I can understand why most people hate it.

Anyway, why has noone mentioned "Otherworld" yet???!!!  FUCK YEAH! Death Prog in an RPG, who could ask for more? Uematsu took a HUGE risk with that track, and took a lot of flack for it, but I think it was a gutsy thing to do, and I think it was awesome. As good as Dark Messanger or The Extreme?... not a chance... but still a great final boss battle.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2009, 08:07:51 PM »

Yeah, Dezo, I love that track from BD.  I just wish Ian Gillan wanted to sing it in tune.  Seriously, if his voice is that terrible now, he needs to move on.

Love songs in a game or movie or whatever about love are permitted.

And Otherworld is so awesome.  I prefer the Black Mages version though.  Great vocals.

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2009, 10:04:49 PM »

Eyes On Me was awesome. whatever, y'all. Song is AWESOME.

I like Fei's point though. Boat Song is awesome.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:45:32 AM »

I like "A Little After The Dream" from Breath of Fire IV

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 02:33:15 PM »

And Otherworld is so awesome.  I prefer the Black Mages version though.  Great vocals.

Now, I can't quite decide on that. All and all, I prefer the BM version because the music sounds so much cleaner. The original sounds like metal produced by a punk. However, I think the song is badass with death vox. Admittedly, the singer is no Mike Akerfeldt, but it's really fresh to have death vox in a video game. However, the chick who sings in the BM version is damn good, but I find myself missing the balls that the original had. If she just had sung it with a little more growl, I think it would be off the fuckin' chain.

All other BM vocal tunes need to die. Their rendition of the FF6 Opera was a disgrace to mankind. The woman sounded like she could lose 500lbs. Here I want to think of beautiful Celes or Marie, and I get some frumpy, fat-sounding bitch.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 04:52:38 PM »

I am now imagining some Susan Boyle singing the opera song on American Idol.  That'll be the day.

Anyway, Cabal Online has actual vocals in it's regular soundtrack, although it's not the main focus.  I guess this one would have 'death vox', starting at about 2:00.  The first 12 seconds are silence, so don't turn your speakers up haha.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3odiI3HaVP0

Here's the first song you hear in Cabal.  I was shocked to hear vocals, and didn't know what to make of it, but it grew on me, or became sentimental, or something: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TgTyGu7J3Q&feature=related

One more from Cabal (vocals at 00:49) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2Lh74SeA_A&feature=related

I think it's cool to hear music like this in an MMORPG. 
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 04:54:18 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: