Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 10:43:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327999 Posts in 13432 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Dragon Quest IX Footage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: New Dragon Quest IX Footage  (Read 11380 times)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »

I just hope they port it to a console.

They are.  It's called DS.

Isn't that technically classified as a handheld...not a console...

Yes, I'm pissed that DQ9 is on the DS, and even more pissed that 10 is on the Wii.

I would've loved to see DQ8 recreated on the ps3/xbox 360.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »

I just hope they port it to a console.

Wow...just...wow.

Seriously, I'm flabbergasted.
Larahl

Say, fuzzy pickles.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2009, 02:41:40 PM »

Yes, I'm pissed that DQ9 is on the DS
Why? The DS is now the RPG console. And no matter if it's handheld or home, a console is a console.

I wash my hands of those who imagine chattering to be knowledge, silence to be ignorance, and affection to be art.
Animage

AnimageCGF
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2009, 03:12:15 PM »

A ps3 or xbox360 release would completely kill the game for its intended market :D

DS was, IMO, the only system this could come out on right now, from a sales perspective and system following.  DQ is too huge in japan, and considering DS has to be the top 1 or 2 of all system sales there now anyways.

Currently Playing : Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier
Last Game Beaten : Dragon Quest 5 : Hand of the Heavenly Bride
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2009, 03:17:03 PM »

Yes, there are many RPGs on the DS, but they don't feel like "console" style RPGs. Many have been "kiddied", or dumbed down to a more general audience.

The only hardcore RPGs have been dungeon crawlers, which do work on handhelds.

The games that have been moved to the DS have turned into SRPGS, FF12RW, Blue Dragon plus etc.
Animage

AnimageCGF
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2009, 03:20:48 PM »

Yes, there are many RPGs on the DS, but they don't feel like "console" style RPGs. Many have been "kiddied", or dumbed down to a more general audience.

The only hardcore RPGs have been dungeon crawlers, which do work on handhelds.

The games that have been moved to the DS have turned into SRPGS, FF12RW, Blue Dragon plus etc.

Keeping to the series at hand, DQ4 and 5 were both done fantastically and were kept in the exact fashion as the original "console" games.

I don't get the point you're trying to make here, as there are plenty of fantastic regular RPGs, including the ports.

Currently Playing : Super Robot Taisen OG Saga : Endless Frontier
Last Game Beaten : Dragon Quest 5 : Hand of the Heavenly Bride
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2009, 04:02:05 PM »

daschrier, while your assessment may be correct, this seems to have everything to do with the developers decisions for the games, and nothing to do with the hardware itself. We've seen plenty of examples of perfectly good RPGs on the DS, they just happen to be ports and updates. But the contemporary RPGs, up until now, have been all gaidens or dungeon crawlers, for whatever reason. However, DQIX is already a first in that it's the first time a numerical series installment has come to the DS without being touted as some dumbed-down spinoff. Keep in mind that in ALL other cases, DS RPGs have not been marketed as major installments, so we really don't have much to compare it to.

Yes, we're not going to get full PS3 or Wii level graphics on the DS, but for games that are in the vacinity of PS1 or SNES style, the DS is able to perform admirably. I would argue that RPGs haven't really changed much since the PS1, and in some ways, the PS1, by its limitations, lead to more enjoyable experiences in some cases. I've been very satisfied by the remakes we've seen on the DS, it's time we saw a major new effort, and DQ9 seems to be exactly that.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2009, 06:05:29 PM »

Yes, the ports are good, but they are still ports.

I am looking forward to DQ9 and Infinite Space, but I just feel like the developers are assuming that most DS players are kids and are therefore catering to that audience.

Look at FF12RW, Suikoden DS, EO, it's all cutesy and happy go lucky. That's fine most of the time, and I don't want to start an arguement about "adult" games vs kids games, but the PSP has done a much better job of being a portable PS2/PSone where as the DS seems more of a Nintendo-lite.

Anyway, this thread is about DQ9, so I hope it arrives here soon and I know I will buy it on day 1.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2009, 07:10:17 PM »

Actually, I believe that the biggest demographic of DS users are working adults who carry the DS with them on the subway.

The reason for the "cutesiness" of the games has nothing to do with demographic, but with the nature of portable systems. Expected playtime for a portable is likely between 3-20 minutes (the length of a subway ride, or a wait in line at the DMV). Developers never cater portable games to sitting at home and playing, because that's what TV-based consoles are for. But in the modern age, people find that the bulk of their "down" time is spent waiting to arrive somewhere or for something to happen, while in transit. Therefor, the need for entertainment devices that can be taken with you is becoming more and more critical. People have less time to sit in front of the TV, and more time while waiting for their coworker to hurry up so they can close up shop (or whatever). This is why a lot more series are starting to come over to the portable side.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 07:12:49 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2009, 07:12:34 PM »

Look at FF12RW, Suikoden DS, EO, it's all cutesy and happy go lucky.

I think in this case it's not necessarily 'kiddy' so much as that it's the aesthetic that either the target audience and/or the developers themselves want, note some of the anime and whatnot that target an older audience yet have an excessively cute aesthetic. The other two are a different story from what I've seen/heard, FFXII:RW was even touted as being sold as a 'my first Final Fantasy' (WTF?).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 09:46:50 PM by Eusis » Logged
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2009, 09:17:44 PM »

Considering how DQ VII looked when it came out, I'm not surprised nor do I care that much about the quality of the graphics (i.e. they look better than VII's). You can get a DSOriginal on the cheap these days plus these aren't the old days where your handheld would consume batteries faster than Pac-man could consume those little white balls. Bash it all you want but you anti-handhelds guys are missing out.

Anyways I'm very interested and intrigued about this game right now since a) they seemed to follow through on their promise of no random encounters, b) full dungeons hiding in plain sight ala Zelda 1 is for the fucking win, c) the skill point system, classes, and the alchemy pot (which looks to do away with the wandering around the countryside for hours on end to cook something up mechanic from VIII) all look to be present and accounted for (although whether or not they can all play nice with each other is a bit of a concern), and d) a customizable avatar for the win 2 (although this little tidbit has been known since day one it still rocks).

As for story from what I've gathered it looks like you start off dead or something and there's flying trains ala Galaxy Railway 999 (See, this is the time and the place to make a Galaxy Railway 999 reference.)

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2009, 06:38:13 AM »

Oh, God, if it worked, I'd quick as lightning add das/crier/ to my ignore list.  Mark, we need an ETA!

Man, I wish that DQXI was a SNES exclusive.........................

dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 02:36:12 PM »

Hell, the only reason why DQIX is on the DS is so that the S-E execs can pull an Elliot Spitzer and user some $10K/hour hookers.

Anyways, I saw the trailer and the game looks good. I just hope it it isn't too fucking long. I stopped at 60 hours with DQVIII.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2009, 09:03:59 PM »

People are still complaining about DQIX being on the DS?? I can't believe we're still having this argument 2.5 years after the game was announced for the DS. DQIX is on the verge of release in Japan, the game is done, it's not going to be moved to a home console, get over it.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »

People are still complaining about DQIX being on the DS?? I can't believe we're still having this argument 2.5 years after the game was announced for the DS. DQIX is on the verge of release in Japan, the game is done, it's not going to be moved to a home console, get over it.

calm down, child. The people "still" complaining may not have been paying attention to DQIX until recently, now that it's finally nearing release. Take a seat, grab your inhaler, and let serenity fill your lungs.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: