Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 11:28:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334539 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Dragon Quest IX Footage
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: New Dragon Quest IX Footage  (Read 11481 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2009, 09:13:14 PM »

calm down, child. The people "still" complaining may not have been paying attention to DQIX until recently, now that it's finally nearing release.

This is evident with the posters either surprised it's a turn based RPG and STILL thought it was an action RPG. Then again that first poster thought it wasn't overhead and linked to a video that showed plenty of overhead gameplay, so maybe he's just thick.

Anyways, I'm not sure it's exactly valid for this particular point. One person was saying "I hope this is ported", then someone that knew about the DS version vented rage again. I'm getting VERY tired of when games don't come out on someone's preferred platform.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2009, 02:19:28 AM by Eusis » Logged
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2009, 02:13:50 AM »

This game is looking damn good.  I am very impressed with Level 5's work on the game's visuals.  Here's hoping the localization happens relatively quickly so we can get our hands on it.  My only concern is the online component.  So long as it isn't necessary to complete the game and optional; I'll be fine with it.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2009, 02:21:20 AM »

So long as it isn't necessary to complete the game and optional; I'll be fine with it.
It can't be since they removed online play, and given that they backpedaled on making it an action RPG they'd be too afraid of really pissing off old fans by flat out requiring online functionality to beat. I wouldn't be surprised if they rewarded those who played with others though; local play is still in.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2009, 02:38:09 AM »

I was looking forward to an action based combat system before they scrapped it.  The scrapping the online functionality is good to know, though.  I do like the turned based combat of the Dragon Quest games so keeping the system intact while removing random encounters is fine by me.

I do wonder if Square Enix will update the interface when bringing it over like they did with VIII.  I think this title has a good  chance of being very successful in the West if they market it well.

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2009, 02:40:47 AM »

I do wonder if Square Enix will update the interface when bringing it over like they did with VIII.  I think this title has a good  chance of being very successful in the West if they market it well.

Judging by the screens I doubt it, but only because it was designed with exporting in mind.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2009, 04:08:33 PM »

My biggest concern is, "how does it sound"? Probably DQVIIIs biggest asset was it's superb voiceacting. How good will the voice acting be in this game (if it has it at all)?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2009, 04:15:42 PM »

Opinions of VA (especially in DS games) aside, I can pretty much guarantee there won't be a dub at all due to the platform and the fact they took out most of the VA in Valkyrie Profile DS.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2009, 02:19:41 AM »

Opinions of VA (especially in DS games) aside, I can pretty much guarantee there won't be a dub at all due to the platform and the fact they took out most of the VA in Valkyrie Profile DS.

They didn't even bother to sub the jdub of OG Saga.

Frankly though I'm not concerned at all about VAs. At worst all it does is to shatter one's perception of a character, but since this game looks to be able to allow you to create characters like DQ III's eatery could it probably won't matter anyways.

Code:
Afterall, I wouldn't want to hear the same voice speak every line for my entire bunny girl squad.

VAs in my opinion are simply a nice commodity like pickles on a burger.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2009, 02:26:15 PM »

You haven't played DQVIII have you?

The reason you think that is because most of them SUCK. But when done correctly, it can add a huge amount to the game. I must admit that DQVIII would not have been NEARLY as memorable without the VA. Saying that VA is like a pickles on a burger is like saying you don't need talking in film. I thought we'd moved beyond that arguement about 80 years ago. No, the biggest problem with VA is that most of it is terrible, and it exposes inherently bad writing. Thankfully, I think it's forced RPG writers to come up with dialog that's not nearly as wooden because it's so much more noticable with VA. Some games like FFX and Star Ocean are still worse for the wear because of it, but most developers are quickly learning. Level 5's writing is superb, so I'd love to continue to see VA in DQ games.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2009, 02:44:36 PM »

DQ8 had great voice acting as do many of the Atlus games, but for a portable game having VA or not having VA isn't a big deal to me either way.  Heck, often, I don't even have the sound on when playing portable games since I don't want to disturb others or bother with headphones.

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 04:14:40 AM »

You haven't played DQVIII have you?

The reason you think that is because most of them SUCK. But when done correctly, it can add a huge amount to the game. I must admit that DQVIII would not have been NEARLY as memorable without the VA. Saying that VA is like a pickles on a burger is like saying you don't need talking in film. I thought we'd moved beyond that arguement about 80 years ago. No, the biggest problem with VA is that most of it is terrible, and it exposes inherently bad writing. Thankfully, I think it's forced RPG writers to come up with dialog that's not nearly as wooden because it's so much more noticable with VA. Some games like FFX and Star Ocean are still worse for the wear because of it, but most developers are quickly learning. Level 5's writing is superb, so I'd love to continue to see VA in DQ games.

Wow. Way to misinterpret my analogy there champ. My point was while good or even great voice acting can turn a good game into a great one it can also work to it's detriment. Furthermore, even the best voice acting can't hide all the flaws of a game line in FF XII which had great voice acting for some of the characters and passable VAing for the rest, but even then it still can't disguise the thread bare plot. And sometimes the best voice actor is the one residing in your head. I mean what if the next Zelda game had voice acting? Just the thought of some overly nerdy localizers over at NoA (or wherever they outsource their VAing duties too) have someone utter the phrase "WELL EXCUUUUUSEE ME! PRINCESS!" is just too much of a risk (plus would you have characters like Tingle voice their entire dialog?).

The analogy of the pickles and the burgers should be obvious, but to avoid a second misinterpretation I'll illustrate the connection. While a game like DQ VIII has great VAing it's also a solid game in it's own right. In this case the burger was well prepared and and the VAing served as sweet pickles to supplement the overall flavor. Whereas many games like the early PSX Megaman games (Legends aside) made the perception of both Megaman and X look like crap thanks to their obnoxiously high-pitched voices. In this case the burgers were alright but the pickles gone sour which struck at odds with the flavor of the meal. And again with the case of FF XII you have a game with solid VAing, but the inconsistent pacing of the plot along with the fact that the game liberally cribbed from both Star Wars trilogies was too much to ignore. In this case the pickles were well chosen but the burger itself was overdone and no amount of sweetness could hide the taste of charred meat. And with games like Zelda sometimes its just enough to stand there silently and look cool. In this case the burger was made with a flavor of it's own and sometimes that's all that the pallet really needs.

Hopefully my point was more accurately conveyed this time.

Code:
Oh and Yes! I totally played DQ VIII among other well VAed games like King's Quest VI and ect...

Prime Mover

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »

Point made, all loud and clear... and I think you're largely right, although it is just a matter of degree. Honestly, I thought DQVIII was a mediocre game that became an absolutely amazing game due to its voice acting and dialog. Granted, I'm throwing "dialog" into the mix, because I honestly don't know how it would have been without voice acting (it's hard for me to imagine). I also agree that VA probably hurts more games than it helps.

Oh, also, I COMPLETELY agree with you about Zelda. The day they add VA to the Zelda series is the day I stop playing the series... unless they can pull off something of the caliber to DQVIII, but even then, it would ruin things. I honestly hate people who say things like, "Zelda should be brought into the modern age of gaming" because that more often than not implies sacrificing many of the novelties that makes Zelda so wonderful. The other big pet peeve is people saying that the music should be orchestrated instead of synthesized. Koji Kando and other composers have developed a semi-interactive musical approach that can ONLY be accomplished with midi. That's far more unique and interesting than the plethora of London Symphony Orchestra games we're seeing now days.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 08:48:56 AM »

Granted, I'm throwing "dialog" into the mix, because I honestly don't know how it would have been without voice acting (it's hard for me to imagine).

Have you tried playing through the game a second time with the sound off? I know that some games give you the option to control the volume of both the Speech and the BGM so you might be able to enjoy the music without the talking.

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2009, 04:16:45 AM »

Nintendo put up a new Creator's Voice with Horii and the producer of the game:
http://touch-ds.jp/crv/vol13/001.html

There's lots of gameplay videos there, my favourites are outfitting the hero and the free position battle system video. After seeing the end of that battle I can't wait to see how combos, positioning, and the class system all work together. The Sandy video was nice too, showing off how they've managed to get the most out of the DS.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 04:23:32 AM by jj984jj » Logged
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2009, 01:03:16 AM »

Anyway it's out now in Japan. Anyone over there got game?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: