Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 22, 2014, 11:53:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334693 Posts in 13706 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  EB Games - controlled by communist nazis
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: EB Games - controlled by communist nazis  (Read 1848 times)
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2006, 05:03:45 AM »

My brother and I went down to EB Games today to pick up Time Crisis 3 for the PS2 since it's on sale for $25 (with two guncons even). We find out that they only have a single copy left on their website so we get down there to find out something that was so utterly ridiculous and flabbergasting I literally was left speechless and couldn't respond to the sheer stupidity of it.

The store had only received two copies. One of the employees had "reserved" a copy (of a game that's been our for a while) so I couldn't buy that one. The other copy was "reserved" by the guy who was working there at the moment, but he decided to not buy it and had sold it to somebody minutes before our arrival.

Store only gets two copies, and both are "reserved" by employees meaning the public can't buy it. Am I the only one who sees this as completely fucked business?

I'll be contacting the district manager this week because this is fucking ridiculous, and I know there's no way they should be allowed to do that.
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 06:37:23 AM »

Game store chains have always been a little screwed up.  In a normal store, the manager or delegate orders what the store needs.  Imagine that!  But game retail companies decide centrally who gets what, because they don't trust the store manager to know what the store needs.  And then they justify their actions by hiring people that are incapable of running a tiny store.  :P

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 07:17:28 AM »

Thankfully the online store still has them. But yeah, utter bullshit, and EB/GS is doing more and more to repel me from wanting to support them. Ofcourse, I've already went over that in IRC. :P
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 08:39:20 AM »

That's quite fucked up, Dios. There is little regulation at those stores. Extremely poor management.

Yeah, EB/Gamestop have been getting worse and worse over time....like this new policy about not selling used Playstation and Nintendo 64 games any longer...sure, I mean, I suppose it's understandable if they want to make more space..but still. Those were one of my favorite sections in the stores. Finding rare gems.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 09:46:23 AM »

Yeah, they are not supposed to do that when therre is an FSI like this. I should know, I am the manager of an EB. Contact the gamestop feedback service and let them know what happened. They will then contact the District Manager and the DM will then contact you. Unless you know the DM it can be hard to actually contact them directly, unless those guys are breaking that rule too. They should have a sign up with the phone number for the gamestop complaint line.

Also, Miho, the not selling used N64 and PSX games isn't for every store. We are no longer taking them at any store, but typically they have all been shipped to one or two stores in the district. Usually the stores that sell the most or have the extra room.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 11:24:29 AM »

Yeah, that shit is retarded.  As the one who informed Mike of the deal (Got the info in-store, knew Dios liked Time Crisis 3, left Mike a voice mail), I knew that most stores had gotten an extra shipment (we have 2 in store).  I want one, as that shit is hot.  Mine is still out on that show floor if I want it.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 12:10:41 PM »

That's too bad, Dios :(

I think what gets me about EB/Gamestop is the absurdly high prices on USED games. Case in point: Yesterday I was looking around at a big EB store in San Francisco for my birthday. I rented Kingdom Hearts II from Gamefly and they offer it used for about 38 bucks. They don't charge shipping costs - only tax.

How much was it at EB? 45 BUCKS. new? 50! What the HELL, EB?! Even with a discount card, I'd be paying LESS at Gamefly, which will most likely be 40 all together.

It's half the reason I've been buying used games lately from Gamefly as opposed to EB/Gamestop. It's cheaper! :( EB IS good for super old games though, mostly gameboy games (though 15 for Tetris! Come the fuck on, EB!)

Penance

otakujuggalo777@aol.com otakujuggalo777 penance17420
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006, 05:51:26 PM »

I have learned my lesson about places in the EB family. they jack the price up and try to push games that suck onto people who don't know better.just like a meth dealer. i have talked many of their customers out of sales and in turn got kicked out. ^^;

so i now have a new game sanctuary, GameXchange. i find myself there often talking to the owner and employees about gamming, whats new and pretty much every thing, and they dont pressure you extra stuff like membership cards or "special deals" (sacrasm twords GS ) GX sells mostly older games but tends to carry new stuff as well and even some imports so if you can find one in your area go there and save yourself a headach.

"there is no try, only do, or do not"
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006, 05:53:27 AM »

I think what gets me about EB/Gamestop is the absurdly high prices on USED games. Case in point: Yesterday I was looking around at a big EB store in San Francisco for my birthday. I rented Kingdom Hearts II from Gamefly and they offer it used for about 38 bucks. They don't charge shipping costs - only tax.

How much was it at EB? 45 BUCKS. new? 50! What the HELL, EB?! Even with a discount card, I'd be paying LESS at Gamefly, which will most likely be 40 all together.

That can work for you to though. You can get 20-$25 selling used. I try to rent all my games, even if I have to renew several times to beat one it still costs a lot less, but if there's a game I must have that I can't find for rent it's nice to get a good chunk of what I payed for it back when I'm done with it. Especially if it's something like Shadow of the Colossus. That's like a ten hour game with no replay value(Sure they add time attack mode and such, but really. Once you've beat it that's it.) I had to buy that and it's good that I can cut costs selling it back.[/quote]
Ragnarok-Sabin
Eternally Lurking

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006, 11:13:34 AM »

Where I live there is actually some stupid by-law prohibiting the trading in of games. Any video game store (or any store, for that matter...) within a certain area cannot buy games back from customers for some absurd reason. EB enforces this strongly. Microplay, on the other hand, doesn't seem to give a shit about it and does trade in's anyway.

That, combined with the fact that every time I've been in there in a year I've found a rare(ish) game (WA, Xenogears), means that I tend to lean towards Microplay before EB. Oh, and on top of that, EB's employee's are some of the most useless pricks I've ever met. Penance mentioned talking customers out of sales--I've done it plenty of times, against the urgings of the employees. At the same time, I've seen them tell people that a totally amazing game is garbage. (I understand opinion and what not, but they always seem to act like everyone hates the game...)  So many times in fact, I had to concentrate on not hitting the guy who did it last time.

Oh, and as an aside, the EB's near me don't carry anything earlier than Playstation, and even then the selection is very, very limited. Microplay still has a great stock on NES games. Just goes to show....
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: