Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 03:58:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327204 Posts in 13394 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Michael Jackson dead.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Michael Jackson dead.  (Read 9311 times)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2009, 09:08:10 AM »

That's up to MJ's legal department to decide.  If that issue comes up, it'll be a battle between lawyers.  Considering the financial etc. mess the poor guy left behind, I surmise that a lot is going to be in the hands of his lawyers. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 09:18:04 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2009, 09:15:08 AM »

Actually, I wanted to spam the fuck out of LiveJournal with the video of SC5 part 2 stage 4 earlier, but watching it was just way too awkward. Really cool, but awkward.
Well, then spam this one instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UXiiICxg_w&fmt=18

Something tells me my Space Channel 5 Part 2 Youtube videos are going to be watched more than usual this week.
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2009, 10:14:01 AM »

Since I believe he was a pedophile, all I can say is that I am glad the monster is dead.  While I do concede he was a brilliantly talented musician in his prime, he grew into a monster who preyed upon innocent children.  He should have died years ago for his crime.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2009, 10:37:39 AM »

Since I believe he was a pedophile, all I can say is that I am glad the monster is dead.  While I do concede he was a brilliantly talented musician in his prime, he grew into a monster who preyed upon innocent children.  He should have died years ago for his crime.

SonicDeathMonkey

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2009, 10:55:54 AM »

Most celebs were never exactly economists or life coaches.  For example, if Sharon wasn't managing Ozzy's money and life, he'd be dead, broke, and dead broke decades ago.  

So... what were peoples' favorite Jackson songs?  I mentioned the Thriller album was awesome, but my favorite song has to be "I Want You Back" by the Jackson Five.  It's one of my favorite songs of all time and has my 2nd favorite bassline of all time.  Super fun song to play.   (aside: my #1 favorite bassline of all time is "Debonair" by Afghan Whigs, but that's neither here nor there.)  

Man I don't even know where to start. "I Want You Back" and "ABC" are two of my absolute favorite songs of all time... "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" and "Rock With You" are classics... ALL of Thriller is amazing, every song (speaking of basslines, how about "Billie Jean")... Bad and Dangerous had their share of great hits... I went on a YouTube MJ video watching spree last night... crazy memories....

The man was the supreme entertainer of all time... in that regard there was no-one like him before, and there likely never will be again. On the other hand he had a deranged persona and did not understand what was and was not appropriate (i.e. associating almost exclusively with young children, dangling babies from balconies)... but I don't think he ever did anything wrong... I have no reason to believe those people weren't just after his money... to hear people saying things like "I'm glad that monster is dead" is really upsetting... the man lived a sad life of seclusion in his later years because of his inability to fit in in this world... I wouldn't be surprised if the stress of being an outcast contributed to his death...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 11:04:55 AM by SonicDeathMonkey » Logged
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2009, 11:31:52 AM »

So... what were peoples' favorite Jackson songs?  I mentioned the Thriller album was awesome, but my favorite song has to be "I Want You Back" by the Jackson Five.  It's one of my favorite songs of all time and has my 2nd favorite bassline of all time.  Super fun song to play.   (aside: my #1 favorite bassline of all time is "Debonair" by Afghan Whigs, but that's neither here nor there.)  

I was a huge fan of his music, so it's hard for me to choose. There's few songs I even disliked, so I'll go with one that truly made me a fan as a kid - Man In the Mirror. Watching him sing that in concert on YouTube was depressing.

The man was the supreme entertainer of all time... in that regard there was no-one like him before, and there likely never will be again. On the other hand he had a deranged persona and did not understand what was and was not appropriate (i.e. associating almost exclusively with young children, dangling babies from balconies)... but I don't think he ever did anything wrong... I have no reason to believe those people weren't just after his money... to hear people saying things like "I'm glad that monster is dead" is really upsetting... the man lived a sad life of seclusion in his later years because of his inability to fit in in this world... I wouldn't be surprised if the stress of being an outcast contributed to his death...

He really was a hell of a musician, and he put everything he had into it, you rarely see anyone like that in music anymore. And yeah. being on Twitter last night I saw a lot of people cheering the fact that he died, it's really really disgusting. I get that not everyone is gonna mourn his death, but to be happy someone died? I don't even know what to think about that.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »

You are pathetic.

Lord Scottish

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2009, 12:37:40 PM »

I'm probably alone in this, but my favorite MJ song is Dirty Diana.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2009, 12:49:17 PM »

I don't think MJ would hurt a fly.  I don't think he molested the kids at all and the whole thing was the kids being fed lines by parents who were fed lines by lawyers who put dollar signs in their eyes.  Everyone has a price, right?  You know how Holden Caulfield in Catcher in the Rye had that ultimate dream of catching children before they fell off the cliff so they wouldn't lose their innocence?  I think MJ had that kind of thing going as well, and it's not surprising given his traumatic childhood.  Look at me, comparing MJ with Holden Caulfield as if MJ is some kind of literary tragic hero who may or may not have been unfairly vilified.  Can't name too many stars these days who evoke that.  Poor MJ never really got to be a carefree kid till he became an adult. 

Now for story time again with Uncle 'Crest.  

My dad's been pretty much in and out of my life for my entire life, but fond memories I've had of us hanging as a family (me, my mom, my dad) and with just my dad were at Disney World.  My dad LOVED Captain EO at Epcot Center.  That was his favorite attraction at Disney and he would always want to go to it twice.  That's out of character for my dad, so Captain EO (and by extension MJ) holds a special spot for me.   My dad would probably cry if he knew Captain EO wasn't at Disney any more and it was some other 3D movie.  It would be great if Disney parks reissued Captain EO in a limited run as tribute to MJ.  
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 12:58:21 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2009, 12:54:26 PM »

You know, even if he did something shady, I find it incredibly hard to believe that all the claims were true, merely some people jumping on the lawsuit wagon after an isolated incident. Plus MJ was dealt a pretty rough hand as a kid, being beaten and whipped by his dad. But oh no, the media has almost never mentioned that, only capitalized on the bullshit fed to them by lying parents and lawyers.

And also, I find people cheering about death - anyone's death - to be pathetic and disgusting. These people think of themselves as just and right, but all they're doing is perpetuating more filth into the world. People who can speak so easily of killing others have no idea what life and death is truly about.

Finally, my favorite song of his to this day is still Smooth Criminals. Stone me to death now.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 01:09:01 PM by Leyviur » Logged

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2009, 01:10:04 PM »

Hey! Wait a minute! Now that Mike's gone doesn't that mean that the surviving Beetles can buy back the rights to their songs again?

Rumor has it MJ changed his will recently to give the rights of the songs to Paul McCartney because their friendship went sour over that, but who knows.

Anyway, my favorite was Smooth Criminal too.  Darn that MJ arcade game was awesome!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 07:16:56 PM by Ryos » Logged

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2009, 01:38:42 PM »

And also, I find people cheering about death - anyone's death - to be pathetic and disgusting. These people think of themselves as just and right, but all they're doing is perpetuating more filth into the world. People who can speak so easily of killing others have no idea what life and death is truly about.

I find it hard to go all or nothing like that.  Is all life truly precious?  Can it be judged on a case by case basis?  After all, in most any religion, the main God or Gods pretty much judge peoples' lives on a case by case basis to either accept or deny them entry into Heaven or some facsimile thereof.

What if the death being cheered on is someone like, say, Pol Pot, Jeffrey Dahmer, or (dare I say) Osama Bin Laden?  Those people are brutal dictators, brutal mass murderers and brutal terrorists who embody those pathetic and disgusting (to use your words) principles of speaking so easily of killing others and following through on it without any remorse or hesitation. 

Still this whole subtopic/sentiment of the preciousness of life reminds me a bit of Napoleon in Animal Farm when he says "all animals are created equal but some animals are more equal than others."   

EDIT: Yes, Moonwalker was a fun movie.  Smooth Criminal is an insanely catchy song.  Speedster was fun too.  And it truly says something about the art of music video that Thriller is still the best music video ever created.  Beat It was a killer video too if for no other reason than that during the shooting in some rough parts of Cali, MJ had actual gang members in the area be extras in the video.  And if I remember Pop Up Video correctly, Eddie Van Halen was too chicken to film there so you don't get to see EVH during that solo.  Dude, MJ got gang members to stop fighting for a few minutes to be in a video.  That's epic. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2009, 04:49:52 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 03:43:34 PM »

Since I believe he was a pedophile, all I can say is that I am glad the monster is dead.

And if you were wrong? You said you BELIEVE he was a pedophile, which isn't the same as KNOWING he is.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 04:51:58 PM »

Hey! Wait a minute! Now that Mike's gone doesn't that mean that the surviving Beetles can buy back the rights to their songs again?

Rumor has it MJ changed his will recently to give the rights of the songs to Paul McCartney because their friendship went sour over that, but who knows.

Um...I think this was taken care of behind-the-scenes before MJ's death. See the interview that Tim Sheehy and I did on Beatles Rock Band here:

http://www.originalsoundversion.com/?p=3177

If I had to guess, MJ's bankruptcy led to him selling back the rights awhile back, because the Harmonix / MTV Games guys didn't have to bother with MJ or his lawyers in getting the rights together for this game. They worked directly with the surviving members of the Beatles and their family (including Yoko Ono) to get the rights to make this game.

Ramza

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 05:27:59 PM »

The correct answer for best MJ song is Billie Jean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En-cHBv7UpA
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: