Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 28, 2014, 09:13:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329832 Posts in 13521 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  New Square Enix Game
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print
Author Topic: New Square Enix Game  (Read 21162 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2009, 11:46:35 PM »

I would want a really good 2d game too but it seems we wont get it. It's a shame they don't make a PS1 Final Fantasy quality level RPG on the PSP instead. Hell the DS could probably pull it off too but they seem to like the kiddy designs on the DS
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2009, 11:52:02 PM »

Arguably the design is more fitting for what they want to do, it's kind of what you could expect an 8-bit FF sprite to look like if faithfully turned 3D.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2009, 01:04:35 AM »

That is true, but no reason they all have to look like that.

Edit: I really support personal artistic design though so as long as they go with something they personally feel works I am happy.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2009, 10:37:51 AM »

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/hikarino4sensi/

The trailer page now takes you to this. The retro music is now up-to-date, though the "B" section of the song still uses GameBoy synth. Huzzah to that! Also, the art is colored in, looks hip.

No word yet on who the composer is.

(i.e. -- all I care about right now is the concept art, which IMO looks decent from Mr. Yoshida, and the music, because this theme song is really freaking catchy)

Maybe the game won't suck. But I'm not holding my breath on that. Just interested in the visuals and music currently. :)

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2009, 01:17:43 PM »

It's the next Takashi Tokita and Matrix Software collaboration, of course it won't suck.

Screens: http://www.4gamer.net/games/094/G009490/20090706005/

- You can use the "crown system" to switch between jobs

Producer: Tomoya Asano (FF3 DS, FF4 DS, Fullmetal Alchemist series)
Character design and art director: Akihiko Yoshida (Ogre Battle saga, FFT, FF12, FF3 DS)
Sound director: Tomohiro Kamiya (FF3 DS, FF4 DS)
Developer: Matrix (DQ5 PS2, FF3 DS, FF4 DS, FF4 The After Years)
Director: Takashi Tokita (FF4, Chrono Trigger, Live-a-Live, Parasite Eve, FF4 The After Years, Hanjuku Hero series)

Info from NeoGAF, detailed info: http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2009/07/06/four_warriors_of_light_site/
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:43:39 PM by jj984jj » Logged
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2009, 10:32:58 PM »

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/hikarino4sensi/

Also, the art is colored in, looks hip.

Speaking of hips, the brunette on the dragon is giving us a peek.  This chibi art style can't pull off sexy though.  The dancers in FFIV DS looked ridiculous.

I don't think it will suck... but I'm the kind of guy who gets off on concept and setting.  This is just fantasy.  It'll probably be well presented, but where is the hook?  What do I marinate my mind with?  There may be talented people working on it, but there needs to be something about the game itself to set it apart.

About the graphics... I'm not sure that this art style was developed with the technology in mind, like the chibi sprites of the SNES era, or FF7 and FF8's attempts at keeping some level of realism.  This style takes the big heads and eyes of the SNES sprites, and makes it 3D for the sake of the throwback.  Maybe I'm off base, and it is just my opinion that it's not the best looking style.  Whatever.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 10:38:33 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 07, 2009, 08:47:45 PM »

I kinda agree. I don't mind chibi on 2D sprites, because there's always a feeling that "this is the best they could do". With FFVI, for instance, you didn't REALLY think that Celes was a squashed blob of white, yellow, and blue pixels, you thought she was a very attractive, very nobel looking woman, but represented the best way they could at the time. However, when you go 3D where you can spin the model completely around and see that it is very much a real 3D representation, chibis start to look very awkward. That said, I hope to god that when they do their DS remake of FF6, they don't go super realistic, because the concept for FF6 is downright disturbing looking (just look at the FMVs), and FF6 while dark, wasn't a highly creepy game. I'm hoping for something more like FF6 which was about halfway in between.

PS: everyone who says that FFIII and FFIV DS look like FF9 need to go back and play FF9. FF9 was far more detailed, and the heads weren't just balls with faces painted on. The preportions were a bit more like Disney or Pixar characters, but they weren't "highly deformed". FFIII and FFIV DS take "deformed 3D" to a new level.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 07, 2009, 09:01:53 PM »

Haha, the Terra Sprite for FF6 to me always looked like she was wearing a beige outfit, rather than a crop top and skirt.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 07, 2009, 09:41:34 PM »

The chibi art style makes me want to go postal.  SaGa would have been more interesting, especially in light of this...art direction.  Sure the game might not suck, but this isn't exciting me at all.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2009, 12:21:28 AM »

... I hope to god that when they do their DS remake of FF6, they don't go super realistic, because the concept for FF6 is downright disturbing looking (just look at the FMVs), and FF6 while dark, wasn't a highly creepy game. I'm hoping for something more like FF6 which was about halfway in between.

PS: everyone who says that FFIII and FFIV DS look like FF9 need to go back and play FF9. FF9 was far more detailed, and the heads weren't just balls with faces painted on. The preportions were a bit more like Disney or Pixar characters, but they weren't "highly deformed". FFIII and FFIV DS take "deformed 3D" to a new level.

Can you explain that first paragraph I am quoting?  I am not sure that you are only talking about FF6, yet only FF6 appears in this quotation.

As for the FF9 thing, yeah, you're right... but when you give the devil your pinky, he takes your whole arm.  That's why FF9 is used as a reference.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 12:25:46 AM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2009, 04:50:28 AM »

Oof, all this fuss over the graphics. I suspect it's going to be an acquired taste and I've simply picked up faster than most, it's starting to remind me of Wind Waker's style.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2009, 07:54:56 AM »

I like Aeris' and Rufus' puffy pants!

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2009, 11:45:21 PM »

I like Aeris' and Rufus' puffy pants!

As well as Everyone's Popeye arms.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Myau
Yeeeaaah!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #133 on: July 09, 2009, 01:01:12 AM »

I don't get the bitching either, did everyone have the same problem with the Seventh Dragon sprites? Or is it because it's not Saga? :P I'm just glad Matrix is actually doing something new for a change, even though it will be the same regurgitated FF we've been getting since forever.

I wish there were more RPGs that were made with the DS in mind, as opposed to simply being on the DS.

jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #134 on: July 09, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »

S-E tried to make a RPG with the DS in mind, it was call The World Ends With You and it bombed pretty badly in Japan. They tried a bunch of other experimental stuff as well, most of which fared worse than TWEWY. The best selling touch-screen RPG was FFXII:RW and people didn't really take a liking to what it did to either the RTS or RPG genres. So now they're finally doing new games based on what works.

Hopefully after the success of TWEWY in the US they rethink doing a sequel though, I guess it depends on what Jupiter is doing now...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 09:37:24 AM by jj984jj » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: