Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:42:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319582 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Recomendations please
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Recomendations please  (Read 4775 times)
LaVal

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 01:40:48 PM »

Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana
Wild Arms 4
Suikoden 4
Suikoden 5
Radiata Stories
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
Growlanser Generations
Shining Tears
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts 2
Shadow Hearts 3

These are the games from your list that I've played.  Out of these, Suikoden V, Magna Carta, Growlanser Generations (specifically Growlanser III.  II was meh.), and Shadow Hearts 2 were games I found to be great and are among my favorites of all time.  Suikoden IV, and Shining Tears I found poor, while the rest were good, but not spectacular.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2006, 01:07:39 PM »

I've personally played these games:

Atelier iris: Eternal Mana
Atelier Iris 2
Wild Arms 3
Wild arms 4
Wild Arms: Alter Code F
Suikoden 4
Radiata Stories
Magna Carta: Tears of Blood
Growlanser Generations
Shining Tears
Shining Force Neo
Shadow Hearts
Shadow Hearts 2
Shadow Hearts 3
Metal Saga

Surprisingly my favorite of those games listed is Growlanser Generations.  I was never anticipating the game nor even had an inkling of interest in it before its release.  I bought it a few months after it came out during the summer doldrums and found that is really fun.  It is challenging too, but not to the level of frustration.  This game earns my seal of approval.      

The Atelier series is good if you want something fun and light hearted.  I prefer the second one to the first.  

As for Wild Arms, go with 4.  It's short (maybe 30hrs or so) and the battles are fast and fun.  The third one was a chore for me to play and Alter Code F was more trouble than it was worth for me (problems running on my PS2s).  

Suikoden IV - Don't bother.  

Radiata Stories -  Funny and fun, but it got kinda old (battle system).  The main story line wasn't enough of a force to keep me going.  I spent most of my time trying to collect all the party members I could and promptly lost interest in it.  

Magna Carta -  Pretty but the battles take a long time and I think the loads were kinda long.    I actually read a book while playing since I had time to do so.  Do not play this game if you have no patience.    

Shining Series -  I finished Tears and frankly you should skip it and get Neo instead.  Neo is 100 times better, but battles do get old since it is a lot of button mashing.  There is some strategy in choosing weapons since they have different attributes and are better at taking out certain enemies.  Still, I wasn't thrilled with SFN.  I think I'm through with the Shining series.  

Shadow Hearts -  I thought the first one was just okay, but I loved the second.  The third one is a lot harder which is okay, but I have lost interest in it.  Perhaps it is the new cast of characters or all the fan service.  I'm not sure what it is, but I'm struggling to force myself to finish it.  

Metal Saga -  Yeah, this won't have a story that compels you to finish it.  It is fun to customize  tanks and collect bounties, but this game isn't for everyone.  It's the kind of game where you can set down and pick up whenever and you won't be lost since you don't need to remember an epic story line.  It's more about living a life as a bounty/treasure hunter.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2006, 04:29:16 PM »

Sheena (in general, but more specifically her fusion animations) were the only real fanservice I could really detect.

SH3 had a really interesting story. Although the comedy was occasionally welcome, I thought it focused too much on it. I also noticed the more sunny environments detracted from what could have been a really moody game. I wanted more places like Chicago, Alcatraz, and Garland mansion (man, that basement was cool). The plot itself was great, IMO, but it wasn't executed in the way I envisioned. I can still say I had the more fun with it than a lot of games.
Wadjet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2006, 06:22:54 PM »

Out of your list i say the must plays are Suikoden V and Growlanser Generations.  Suikoden 5 totally redeems the series for me after 3 and 4.  

Growlanser Generations has to be one of the most underated games out there.  You get 2 games in one.  Grow 2 is pretty cheap on the story but still a lot of fun to play.  Grow 3 has a great story and fixes a lot that went wrong in 2.  Throw in multiple endings with different girls and you are set  =).

Shining Tears, well, stay away from it unless you really enjoy Tony Taka's artwork.   I for one like the game, and will be getting Shining Wind when it comes out cause it looks like the sequel.  But the stuff that is wrong with the game totally throws off a lot of people, and I can understand.  If you are able to deal with the major flaws, its a decent game, but man they are pretty major flaws.

Get Atelier Iris series for good oldschool fun, the first one is better i think though.  Make sure you do Veola's sidequest!

Magna Carta, stay away.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2006, 08:38:46 PM »

Quote from: "Wadjet"

Growlanser Generations has to be one of the most underated games out there.  You get 2 games in one.  Grow 2 is pretty cheap on the story but still a lot of fun to play.  Grow 3 has a great story and fixes a lot that went wrong in 2.  Throw in multiple endings with different girls and you are set  =).

It is also possible to get endings with the guys in your party too.  Not everyone is into that sort of thing, but it is nice that there are several options available.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: