Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 08:23:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334522 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Blazblue
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Blazblue  (Read 19622 times)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »

These are different things here anyway. One's just playing a game and trying to figure it out and master it, while the other's about letting losses seriously get to you.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:51:29 PM by Eusis » Logged
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2009, 12:50:06 PM »

Well, so are sports, but people certainly take those seriously.
Point. I think my problem is not with taking a game seriously, but more the elitism that pervades the 'hardcore' players.

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2009, 01:36:28 PM »

Yeah.  That I can definitely understand.  Although funny enough, most of the elitism I've seen comes from people who aren't really all that good, but think that they are.  I've met some of the best in the US, and most of them are really stand-up guys who will bend over backwards to help you learn if you ask.

But then there's also guys like Justin Wong.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 01:38:12 PM by Gen Eric Gui » Logged
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2009, 12:06:36 AM »

THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2009, 08:26:52 AM »

THE WHEEL OF FATE IS TURNING

REBEL 1. ACTION.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: July 11, 2009, 08:37:34 PM »

I officially suck at this game. I'm going to watch the tutorial DVD a few times before attempting to play again.

Thanks for thoroughly schooling me Ryan. :P

Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: July 11, 2009, 08:52:47 PM »

Tier doesn't matter in the end anyway. Was at a tournament for HD Remix just last week and a Honda player took it. Many Balrog and Sagat players were right pissed. All tier indicates is what characters are naturally easier to play, or have better priority, etc. In the end, a dedicated player with good timing can best a character of any tier, provided the game is at least slightly balanced.
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: July 11, 2009, 11:54:24 PM »

Thanks for thoroughly schooling me Ryan. :P

Hah, anytime. :)  I sucked on my first day, too... Dennis beat me 3 times in a row.  And by "beat me," I really mean "massacred." D:

We should make a "RPGFan" Player Match room one of these days.  Anyone down?

Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: July 12, 2009, 01:07:03 AM »

Tier doesn't matter in the end anyway. Was at a tournament for HD Remix just last week and a Honda player took it. Many Balrog and Sagat players were right pissed. All tier indicates is what characters are naturally easier to play, or have better priority, etc. In the end, a dedicated player with good timing can best a character of any tier, provided the game is at least slightly balanced.

"Easier to play" has nothing to do with tier.  If that was true, Jin would be top tier in this game, and he's not(In fact, Arakune is considered top as of right now, and he's BRUTALLY difficult to play as).  Tier is determined by how good a character is in relation to everyone else; a character with more good matchups against other characters is going to be higher tier than one that doesn't have good matchups.

For instance, in Guilty Gear XX, Anji is considered low tier because most of his high damage combos are very situational and Anji doesn't have the tools to properly work his foes into those situations consistently.  Sol, on the other hand, has the very powerful and universal Dust Loop, which he can go into off of all of his best pokes(and most of his bad ones too).  In this way, Sol is much more capable of landing big damage with less effort than Anji.

In Blazblue, characters like Arakune have a relatively easy time locking down all 12 characters, and characters like V-13 and Rachel can play keepaway all day long while chipping away happily and setting up devious traps wherever they please.  Meanwhile, guys like Tager and Bang have very situational setups and have an incredibly hard time getting in and pressuring most characters.  So they have to work tree times harder than other characters to win.

That said, you are ultimately correct in that Tier is less important than a player's skill.  The best Q player in Japan utterly destroyed the US team in 3rd Strike at at least one Super Battle Opera.  But the thing is, he had to work that much harder to win with Q then he would have if he had just been playing Ken or Yun.

It still blows me away how many people think tiers mean an auto-win.  I've actually seen people tell me to my face that a new player picking up Sagat in SF4 could beat even a tourney-level Vega, and I just wanted to laugh and laugh and laugh.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2009, 11:05:13 AM »

Yes Gen. A higher number of better matchups means that character is easier to play in the long run. They can more easily claim victory due to natural advantages. :P But yeah, no I agree, it's not as simple as "easier to play", but I think you get my point.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: July 13, 2009, 03:30:50 PM »

It still blows me away how many people think tiers mean an auto-win.  I've actually seen people tell me to my face that a new player picking up Sagat in SF4 could beat even a tourney-level Vega, and I just wanted to laugh and laugh and laugh.

As someone who has always enjoyed playing Vega, I completely agree.  I would destroy any Sagat who doesn't know what he's doing with Vega without breaking a sweat.  The ones who do know what they're doing though, of course, are tough as hell to beat.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2009, 04:27:21 PM »

Anyone else love the music for this game. My favorite has to be Blue Beating, the song playing during character selection.

And I do love Noel, who doesn't love a long legged girl in uniform duel wielding guns. :)
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2009, 08:50:37 PM »

Anyone else love the music for this game. My favorite has to be Blue Beating, the song playing during character selection.

And I do love Noel, who doesn't love a long legged girl in uniform duel wielding guns. :)

I'm a huge fan of the soundtrack. So glad the LE comes with it. Importing the OST (Arcade or Console version) would've been a costly affair.

Anyway, just wanted to self-promote another project of mine a little more. Gameosaurus.com has a review (my review) of BlazBlue. It's not a great review, but it's honest feedback about the game and my own experience with it. Rachel ftw! :)

http://www.gameosaurus.com/?p=581

Takezo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2009, 08:35:15 PM »

Yeah.  That I can definitely understand.  Although funny enough, most of the elitism I've seen comes from people who aren't really all that good, but think that they are.  I've met some of the best in the US, and most of them are really stand-up guys who will bend over backwards to help you learn if you ask.

But then there's also guys like Justin Wong.

Don't talk shit about justin wong, he spotted the entire Luckies ASC tournament fried chicken after destroying us all in mvc2.
I actually post far more on Shoryuken.com and Dustloop.com than I do here (but still infrequently as balls).

PS: If anyone wants to learn more about this game feel free to drop by your characters forum on dustloop.

pps: Arakune is slightly below Rachel and V-13, Rachel is genuinely hard to play well and V-13 is easy mode. She's probably the only character in any fighting game period to have a fully viable, full screen, mixup game.

WEAR THAT D BUTTON THE FUCK OUT.

More specifically it's really about the numbers of favourable matchups. Characters with few or no bad matchups are high tier.
BTW: HD Honda is the most gimped character in the game, you do know he can keep more than a few characters in a permanent ochio throw loop. Bison genuinely has no reversible move to get himself out it.

rereading, Gen Eric Gui actually got to most of this.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 08:45:12 PM by Takezo » Logged
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2009, 11:02:16 PM »

Quote from: Takezo
pps: Arakune is slightly below Rachel and V-13, Rachel is genuinely hard to play well and V-13 is easy mode. She's probably the only character in any fighting game period to have a fully viable, full screen, mixup game.

I'll agree about Nu, but Rachel > Arakune?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: