Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 08:45:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319582 Posts in 13044 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fall/Winter 2006 RPGs - Are you ready?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Fall/Winter 2006 RPGs - Are you ready?  (Read 6799 times)
Wadjet

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 07, 2006, 02:51:41 PM »

Man i was just looking around some games sites in boredom wondering what to play next as summer is the lull time for rpgs and games n general.  But man this fall and winter we got a $%#@load of rpgs coming our way on pretty much all systems, and good ones at that.  Which ones are you guys most looking forward to?  Here's a quick list of em

PS2
Xenosaga III
Rogue Galaxy
Final Fantasy XII
Disgaea 2
Valkyrie Profile Silmeria
Dirge of Cerebus ?

PSP
Blade Dancer
Valkyrie Profile Lenneth
Spectral Souls
Legend of Heroes II
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII

Nintendo DS
Final Fantasy III
Children of Mana
Final Fantasy Crytal Chronicles

GBA
Final Fantasy 5+6
Yggra Union

Xbox 360
Blue Dragon
Enchanted Arms

Anything i miss?    Man I was going to save up for the playstation 3 but with all these games going to be out mostly by october/november i can pretty much buy almost all of them for the price of ps3.

The ones I am really looking forward to are Final Fantasy XII (such a long time coming) and Yggra Union.   I am finally glad I have a psp as it will get much loving this season.  I will pick up a ds lite in a week along with lost magic as i heard it was good.  I am going to be so broke in the coming months.  This has to be the year of the rpg, with so many being released.  It even tops that 1 year i think it was when ffX and a whole bunch of other stuff was released.  But already this year we have had grandia, tales, wild arms, suikoden, and we still have much more to look forward to.  And that is not even everything that is already out this year.  I think there will even be a Shin Megami tensei game this year too?  Oh well just wanted to say that i am excited and cant wait for fall to come.  Which ones are you guys looking forward to?
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2006, 03:03:06 PM »

Dirge of Cerberus will already be available in summer. Devil Summoner Kuzu no Ha Raidou tai Chouryoku Heidan will be available in the US this fall as well, so yes, there will be a Shin Megami Tensei-related game.

Personally I bought Final Fantasy XII in Japan last month and from the little I have played so far, I was not impressed at all. I have little time to play games right now, but if I had enough time, I probably would rather play Nouryoku Toreenaa 2 for PlayStation Portable or Ookami despite the annoying voice acting.

I have recently seen some in-game screenshots of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII which looked decent. However, I will wait until Square Enix announces more details regarding the battle system, before I decide as to whether I should pick that game up or not. I'm also considering Persona 3, if I can get it for a reasonable price.

The game I'm anticipating most is Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra. Since I will pick up the Japanese version, I won't have to wait until fall, though. I just hope, the story is good.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2006, 03:05:51 PM »

Too much good stuff, it's going to put a hole in my wallet.

I'm really looking forward to Persona 3, Devil Summoner and Xenosaga Episode 3 the most.  Final Fantasy III and Children of Mana are looking really good as well.  Final Fantasy XII is on my radar, but I'm worried that I won't like it... since I have yet to enjoy a Final Fantasy since VIII.

The game I'm anticipating most is Xenosaga Episode III: Also sprach Zarathustra. Since I will pick up the Japanese version, I won't have to wait until fall, though. I just hope, the story is good.

Please, do keep us informed when you get it. ^_^
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2006, 03:24:19 PM »

Quote from: "Professor Gast"
Dirge of Cerberus will already be available in summer. Devil Summoner Kuzu no Ha Raidou tai Chouryoku Heidan will be available in the US this fall as well, so yes, there will be a Shin Megami Tensei-related game.

Personally I bought Final Fantasy XII in Japan last month and from the little I have played so far, I was not impressed at all. I have little time to play games right now, but if I had enough time, I probably would rather play Nouryoku Toreenaa 2 for PlayStation Portable or Ookami despite the annoying voice acting.

I have recently seen some in-game screenshots of Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII which looked decent. However, I will wait until Square Enix announces more details regarding the battle system, before I decide as to whether I should pick that game up or not. I'm also considering Persona 3, if I can get it for a reasonable price.

your feelings on ff12 dont suprise me considering your disdain for action oriented rpg's.

Please, do keep us informed when you get it. ^_^

from what ive seen in videos so far it already looks infinately better than the garbage that was XS2. both graphically and gameplay wise. thankgod they got rid of those horrible zone breaks.

edit:laptop keyboards fail at life

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »

Yeah, too much good stuff coming out during a short period of time. I have no friggin' idea how I'll be able to afford everything I want. Will at least pick up the NIS and Atlus games first, as the "big" titles like Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy XII and VP: Silmeria won't go out of print for a good long while.

I will skip Dirge of Cerberus completely. I'm not a huge Final Fantasy VII fanboy (yeah, the game is good but come on), and I'm a not a huge fan of third person shooters.

Of course, there are a bunch of interesting non-RPGs coming out soon, too. Like Okami, which Gast mentioned. I'm looking forward a lot to that game, as I tend to like this type of more "quirky" games, and the art style is just fantastic.

Good side of all this is that with all the awesome looking PS2 games coming out now, I won't have to buy a PS3 for a looooooong time.

Edit:
Oh yeah, games I'm looking forward to the most. Uhm, well, almost all of them. Persona 3 and Kuzunoha Raidou are at the top of the list though, togheter with Disagea 2. What can I say, I love the demons. :P

And just like Gast I'm eagerly anticipating Xenosaga ep 3. After being disappointed by ep 2, it does seem like the next game will improve on a lot of aspects. And, you know, I just want to be over and done with the series already.

Then there's Rogue Galaxy. I've been ranting about this game ever since I first heard of it. I mean, action-RPG and Level 5 is such a perfect marriage that you can not not be excited about this title.

Final Fantasy XII and VP: Silmeria are games that I'll buy and play, but I'm not salvitating over them as much as the other games on the list.
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2006, 04:06:27 PM »

from what ive seen in videos so far it already looks infinately better than the garbage that was XS2. both graphically and gameplay wise. thankgod they got rid of those horrible zone breaks.

Funny, I always saw Episode I as garbage from a gameplay perspective.

I've seen the videos and it makes me incredibly sad to see that they decided the dumb down the entire system once again rather then go for any real innovation.  I've played the demo and the battles move rather quickly, also the Tech attacks have been reramped...  Thank god they got rid of the over the top light show.  The only thing I can hope for is that the gameplay provides an actual challenge, even if the mechanics have been over simplified.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2006, 04:07:05 PM »

Testament - given your stance, I half suspect it may be more likely you'll like FFXII than not. In fact, for the /full/ game it seems like Gast is the only one that didn't love it to death, as two others who are regulars here found the game to be awesome as hell.

Personally... Eh. DoC seems to be an action game first and foremost, but more importantly a /crappy/ action game, so I'm not worried about it unless the changes in the localization suddenly make it fantastic. NIS games haven't been impressing me much as of late, and I've heard Blade Dancer sucked. So I think I'll just wait to see what others say, and almost certainly will flat out skip them.

FFXII, VP:S, and RG are the ones with the most interest from me. The Mana games are a priority too, assuming Square gets Dawn of Mana out before the year end, and DQ: Rocket Slime and Super Paper Mario are titles I'd really like. However, I'm getting pumped up for the Wii, so I'm not sure if I can get all of them right away, or at least play. I'll just have to wait and see.

Oh, and VP: Lenneth will be out this summer, a little over a month from now in fact, and Blue Dragon  almost certainly won't be out.
Wadjet

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2006, 04:45:45 PM »

man about Xenosaga III, well I will be getting it, for completions sake, but I am not going in expecting much.  I was one of the people that loved ep I.  I loved the extra long CGs.  It was a great story, it really drew me in.  People complain that they were watching more than playing, but i didn't mind.  It was very cinematic, and the story was that good.   Yes the gameplay had a few issues but I thought overall it was worth it.  In episode II they tried to please to many.  A lot of parts in ep 2 would have made more sense as CGs.  Like when you are running arund following those kids, or even walking to Albedo during the last battle.  Just made no sense or you to be controlling the character at some points.  The battle system really turned me off.  The breakzones were fun for about 2 battles, till i figured you had to do it on every enemy.  Multi attacks sucked because either 1) all enemies cannot be in break at the same time or 2) it takes up all the stock bar and sp which take FOREVER to fill.  Each battle felt like a long drawn out math problem, not enjoyable.

From the gameplay vids and trailers I seen of III they put some pizazz back into the special attacks, which is good cuz in 2 it was just so dull.  Battles also look a lot easier/simpler like someone said, so I will wait to see if that is a good or bad thing.  The story is the main reason I play the xeno games.  Didn't like all the original staff leave or get fired?  I was hardly moved by 2 and its looking bleak for 3.  I am still getting it though...

Rogue Galaxy I hear they are adding another planet and fixing some of the battle issues.  I hope it is not affected sales wise since it comes out the same time as FF12.

Valkyrie Profile Lenneth I am excited for too since I never played the original and heard great things, but i am not shelling out $200 on ebay for it  =p

yeah gonna be broke till tax return time in january...
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »

I want 4 titles...

-Tales of the Abyss (and you forgot it ;_; )
-FF12
-Rogue Galaxy
-VP:Silmeria

And with that, I hope challenge, and lots of gameplay time...otherwise I'm broke and don't care for the others.  As someone said above, NIS hasn't been very impressive, and Dirge of Cereberus (I heard) was pretty shitty.

Furthermore, PSP hasn't been incredibly impressive at all, few good new games (RPG-wise) unless its been a port.  Im really considering doing a switch for the DS if something good doesn't happen soon. =/

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2006, 04:55:35 PM »

This year's going to nuts for games period, there's probably more RPGs that were overlooked on that list, and that's not counting all the on the fence games (Zelda, SPM, the new CV).

Edit: For others missing though... There's the American RPGs/on the fence titles like NWN2, the Witcher, Mass Effect, and Bioshock too, although I admit I'm not sure if the last two will make it out this year.. And shit, I forgot aboutt Devil Summoner.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2006, 05:10:36 PM »

You forgot to list Wii games.     I plan on picking it up near launch and will get the new Dragon Quest game and possibly the FF:CC game.  

I'm also planning on getting Rouge Galaxy,  basically all of the Atlus games, Ar Tonelico (whenever that comes out), Tales of the Abyss,  FFXII, Baten Kaitos II (I'm in the minority who liked the first game), Xenosaga III (just to finish the story), Valkyrie Profile: Silmeria, Okami (not an rpg but I've been wanting it for a long time), Children of Mana and FFIII.

Damn that's a lot of games.  Hopefully I'll have enough money to pick up the Wii.  

Anyways, I am burnt out on srpgs from NIS and I have no interest in the FFVII spinoffs.

Currently Playing:  Fate/Extra, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Thief
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2006, 05:25:23 PM »

Wadjet: It wasn't that anybody left, but rather that Monolith Soft decided to take creative control away from series mastermind Tetsuya Takahashi and his wife for various reasons.

CluelessWonder: Depending on Nintendo's launch schedule and the speed of Square Enix's localization, the Dragon Quest game has a slight chance of hitting before year's end in the US. However since Nintendo will only announce the system's launch date and pricing in September, the game's US version might as well only arrive in early 2007. Producer Akitoshi Kawazu acknowledged that Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles for the Wii was still in a very early development stage, so that game probably won't hit American retail store shelves for quite some time.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2006, 07:59:59 PM »

To add to the list, Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2 and Super Robot Taisen: Original Generation 2 are both coming out this Fall (the first game in those two series is coming out this summer).  Both series look quite promising (I'm a huge fan of the PS3 Summon Night games).

Well, I already imported FF12 (highly disappointed) and Rogue Galaxy (solid Action/RPG) so I won't be picking those two up unless the improvements to Rogue Galaxy are really major (and even then, I'll wait for it to get cheap).  Though I wasn't a big fan of the first game, I'm willing to give the new Valkyrie Profile a try.  Persona 3 is at the top of my RPGs to buy list with Devil Summoner 3 followed close behind.  I'm guessing Persona 3 will show up early next year though.

Depending on how much stuff they add, FF5 & FF6 may be high on my buy list.  I'll probably get FF3 as well since that's the one Final Fantasy I've never really played.

I'm very interested in two fringe Action/RPGs - namely Zelda: Twilight Princess & Okami.

But really, Fall/Winter 2006 is going to be Wii time for me.  The system looks like it's going to have a very strong list of launch titles (just for starters, Zelda, Metroid, and an actually good Sonic game if E3 reports are to be believed) plus you throw in the retro-goodness that is the Virtual Console and finally, you add in the fact that I'm going to be on vacation around the months of November & December and well, there's going to be lots of Wii gaming in my house. :D

Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2006, 08:03:32 PM »

I don't really see what's so special about Rogue Galaxy. Would someone like to inform me? I mean, I went through a phase where I was in love with it, but then I read some reviews saying that it was just a dungeon crawl and that really turned me off.
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2006, 09:37:44 PM »

Think of Rogue Galaxy as Kingdom Hearts for people who dislike Disney.  It is a decent Action/RPG with gorgeous graphics (quite possibly the best graphics in any PS2 game period).  It's not an OMIGOSH-I-GOTTA-BUY-THIS! game, but it's still probably worth your money if you're into Action/RPGs.  I'd rate it as a B+ effort myself (and maybe the improvements they're making in the US version will knock it up into the A range).  Personally, I had more fun with Shin Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, but that's just me.

And yes, the dungeons are too long and somewhat repetitive.  It's a flaw, but it doesn't ruin the game.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: