Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:52:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319709 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Fall/Winter 2006 RPGs - Are you ready?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Fall/Winter 2006 RPGs - Are you ready?  (Read 6818 times)
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2006, 09:38:38 PM »

Quote from: "Alisha"
your feelings on ff12 dont suprise me considering your disdain for action oriented rpg's.

I would hardly call FFXII "action oriented." Sure you can move your character around in battle now, but aside from that there is nothing new to the battle system. That aside, I wasn't impressed with the FFXII demo myself and I doubt I'll be picking up the game without renting it a few times first.

Most of the games Wadjet posted don't interest me for that matter. About the only ones I'm looking forward to are Valkyrie Profile, Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy III DS, and Yggdra Union. You can throw Zelda in there too :P
Fate Linegod

yandy_zer0
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2006, 10:08:54 PM »

I'm only waiting for the NA Version of these Games:

Tales of the Abyss
Disgaea 2
Rogue Galaxy
Ar Tonelico
Final Fantasy XII

"We're anything but Normal"
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2006, 10:30:04 PM »

Ar Tonelico looks fucking gorgeous.

The one game that I really have my eye on, other than that and the Valkyrie Profiles, will be out "when it's done": Hellgate: London.

-John

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2006, 10:49:22 PM »

Forgot  Baten Kaitos II (loved the first, joining the few who do...I heard the gameplay has changed dramamtically battle wise and is much better), and Persona 3.

After all this, I don't want a PS3 and intend to clock in many, many hours into Smash Brotehrs Brawl or something. =P

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2006, 10:18:25 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy"
your feelings on ff12 dont suprise me considering your disdain for action oriented rpg's.

I would hardly call FFXII "action oriented."

I find the irony in calling FF12 an action oriented RPG highly amusing.  The main reason why I dislike the game is because it's anything but action oriented - it's very slow paced (not as slow as FFXI, but close) and combat isn't very involving (setup your AI system well and you can win just about any fight without entering a single command).

I forgot about Ar Tonelica.  It looks rather promising.  Oh and whenever the new PS2 Summon Night game comes out in Japan this year, I'll be all over it (even though there's a good chance that it'll get released over here since Atlus is releasing the GBA spin-offs).

Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2006, 01:07:03 PM »

I've heard Ar Tonelico is basically the same game as the other Gust-developed RPGs.  Count me out.  All I'm waiting for is Xenosaga III, Tales of the Abyss, and ofcourse FFXII.

Finished RPG Count: 90
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2006, 01:13:39 PM »

Quote from: "Saviour"
I've heard Ar Tonelico is basically the same game as the other Gust-developed RPGs.  Count me out.

I fail to see how that's something negative :P
Besides, I'll buy that game just for the music in it. God, I hope NIS will have a soundtrack as pre-order bonus for it.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2006, 03:45:26 PM »

Quote from: Robert Boyd
Quote from: "Jimmy"

I would hardly call FFXII "action oriented."

I find the irony in calling FF12 an action oriented RPG highly amusing.  The main reason why I dislike the game is because it's anything but action oriented - it's very slow paced (not as slow as FFXI, but close) and combat isn't very involving (setup your AI system well and you can win just about any fight without entering a single command).

That's the whole point though. I don't want to sit there pressing X mindlessly through battles when I don't need to. You can set the AI to heal status affects, etc. If you're going to cure a person of poison, why not have it set up to do it automatically when someone is afflicted with it instead of navigating through your spells to find a cure poison spell?

I just think this change to the battle system is really nice.

As for games I'm looking forwards to:
Valkyrie Profile 2:Silmeria
Persona 3
FFXII
Children of Mana
FFIII

"Oh, a hunter..."
demifiend

eqrunnerguy
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2006, 06:00:29 PM »

Persona 3
Xenosaga 3
Rogue Galaxy
Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner
Neverwinter Nights 2

I too want Hellgate: London, but, judging from who's making it, I expect it's production time to outlast me.
I'm also holding off on Dirge of Cerberus. I want to like it, but I have to see more about it first. Same goes for Final Fantasy XII. Just not much appealing to me there. Plays like WoW (which I played, quit, restarted, and quit again before level 10), so I'm not really interested in that one. Looks pretty, though.

... You have created a demon of your heart's designs, fallen angel? Then doom shall set us apart... now and forevermore... -YHWH (?), Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

CURRENTLY PLAYING: Mass Effect (again!), Persona 3, Lost Odyssey
RECENTLY COMPLETED: Mass Effect, The World Ends With You
ANTICIPATING: Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles, Wrath of the Lich King, Fallout 3
QUEUED: Lost track!
Testament

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2006, 06:02:10 PM »

Crap, how could I forget Neverwinter Nights 2?

It's probably one of the last true western RPGs that will be released.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2006, 06:06:15 PM »

Quote from: "Testament"
Crap, how could I forget Neverwinter Nights 2?

It's probably one of the last true western RPGs that will be released.

Graphic adventure games are 'dead', yet there's still some new ones that come out every so often. I think we'll still be seeing them, as long as Obsidian and Bioware are in business.

Edit: Changed it to graphic adventures. Thanks to Nintendo and other companies, there's too many games that fall under just 'adventure'. :P
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2006, 06:47:56 PM »

For some reason I'm not really looking forward to NWN2. Maybe it's just because I never played the first one for too long, maybe it's because I haven't read enough about it, maybe it's because my game list is too damn long. The world may never know. One thing for sure is that I am looking forward to Mass Effect. I don't care whether it's Western or Eastern or Northern or whatever, but it looks godly, and that's all that matters.

I'll also put my vote on Hellgate: London. I never really got around to buying Diablo 2 and I kinda want something to sap my time (besides WoW and the jillion other games on my backlog, that is).
Saviour

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2006, 07:03:25 PM »

Quote from: "Cauton"
Quote from: "Saviour"
I've heard Ar Tonelico is basically the same game as the other Gust-developed RPGs.  Count me out.

I fail to see how that's something negative :P
Besides, I'll buy that game just for the music in it. God, I hope NIS will have a soundtrack as pre-order bonus for it.

Well, I didn't enjoy Atelier Iris, it's that simple. :P

Finished RPG Count: 90
Seiken_Densetsu
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2006, 10:49:16 PM »

Quote from: "Robert Boyd"
Think of Rogue Galaxy as Kingdom Hearts for people who dislike Disney.  It is a decent Action/RPG with gorgeous graphics (quite possibly the best graphics in any PS2 game period).  It's not an OMIGOSH-I-GOTTA-BUY-THIS! game, but it's still probably worth your money if you're into Action/RPGs.  I'd rate it as a B+ effort myself (and maybe the improvements they're making in the US version will knock it up into the A range).  Personally, I had more fun with Shin Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams, but that's just me.

And yes, the dungeons are too long and somewhat repetitive.  It's a flaw, but it doesn't ruin the game.

In my opinion, VP2 beats out Rogue Galaxy for best PS2 graphics ever. :D

Anyways, I have played Rogue Galaxy, and the battle system is clunky and incredibly dull and repetitive.  Many people compare it to Star Ocean 3.  The planet travel is better than SO3, but the battle system in SO3 FAR outdoes it, in my opinion.

This year, I am most looking forward to VP2, and Children of Mana, obviously.
Azrael

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2006, 12:01:21 AM »

All I want is FFXII and FFIII.

FFIII looks absolutely amazing and the little I played on NES was fun.  The FFXII demo sucked ass because it was so unengaging and easy.  But I really dig the battles and think it'll be alot of fun with a little bit of difficulty.  I don't know why they didn't do what they did with the FFX demo and put like a small story scene in so you could actually feel like you're accomplishing something.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: