Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 09:46:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327367 Posts in 13404 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Dragon Quest game should I play?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Which Dragon Quest game should I play?  (Read 5156 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2009, 02:07:17 AM »

I'm getting Dragon Quest IX this Saturday. I'll likely do an import review. I have yet to play a single one of these games, and I'm on vacation so I want to use this week to get acquainted with the series.

I have IV and V on DS, VII on PS, and VIII on PS2. I'm going to pick up I, II, and III in Akihabara tomorrow, and VI I may just wait until it comes out on DS. I'm thinking I'll do either VII or VIII at home and IV or V on the subways.

So which one do you guys recommend?

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 02:31:42 AM »

Hmmm. I consider IV, V, and VIII the best, but III's really great and it's not like I-V are very long in their remade forms anyway. What order you play them isn't very important though outside of I-III, but I wouldn't seriously play VII or VIII until you're done with IX, they're easily the longest entries in the series and VII's one of the weakest.

Oh, and I and II I'd play in their remade or form, the originals depended on passwords. Alternatively, import the American releases.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 02:35:17 AM by Eusis » Logged
ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 02:34:11 AM »

Dragon Quest IV is a good subway game (I have V, but I can't seem to get into it, don't know why, it'll come to me eventually). I haven't played VII, but Dragon Quest VIII is amazing. It's my favourite PS2 game.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 06:18:56 AM »

If you want to experience the core of what started to make Dragon Quest games so great, I honestly say go with IV on the DS. I can't stomach playing the old old old NES ones with the bland graphics. I'm by no means a graphics whore, but on top of that, the battle progression is far smoother on the DS, looks better, animates better, and is a lot more fun.

After that you may wanna give 8 a swing. Likely not just one of the best Dragon Quests, or one of the best RPGs, but one of the best games ever made. I utterly loved it to fucking death. Definitely a game for goodie-seekers, and those who don't mind finding good grinding spots to abuse monster weaknesses, as you're gonna have to.

If you ain't ever touched a Dragon Quest before, I'll give you a tip: your level up TNLs won't be so bad at first, and then at one point, they will go along the route of Spaceballs, when the TNL requirements are very much ludicrous.

The games are also pretty awesome in the regards that late-game you will start finding some truly wicked items, and battle-usable equipment with amazing abilities. Oh, and the stories are usually pretty fuckin' awesome, as you'll always start somewhere small, and by the end, you'll find yourself in Valhalla fighting Valkyrie hordes and killing Gods or some fucked up crazy shit like that. The games get pretty epic like that.

I used to loathe dragon quest with all my heart and soul until I played 8, then got 4 on the DS, then 5, then just turned into a Dragon Quest utter-lover. Badass games for the patient RPG player, colorful dialogue, Earthbound-esque cornball graphics at times, and some truly fucking epic boss battles (think Persona, only medieval and more epic).

Also the chicks are pretty fucking hot. Meena and Maya in DQ4 are lesbian twin fortune teller gypsy dancers. That's what's up in this thread.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009, 06:20:06 AM »

All the games are shit except for VIII and MAYBE IV, since I haven't played that one yet. Also, never play VII, it was a fucking ABOMINATION.

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009, 06:29:08 AM »

Seven was fantastic if you were the type who loved investing hundreds of hours into shit.

In other words, MMORPG players.

Just offline.

With less content.

And no titties.

... fuck DQ7. You're right.
Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009, 07:07:22 AM »

I through III and IV through VI were story arcs, so to get the full story you'd have to play each trilogy.

As others have said, VII is a major time sink and there are better titles in the series.

My personal fave is VIII.  It has the quirkiness that I've grown to love in the battle system, a fairly decent story, and to get everything in the game took me about 100 hours as I recall.  You can actually beat the game in less time, but you miss some of the cooler bits of the story and the better ending....
jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009, 09:26:55 AM »

VIII. The best RPG is the last 10 years easily.

JP
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »

Was Dragon Quest VIII really good? I kinda quit midway.

Oh and Dragon Quest VII, if you want laughs I suggest you play it. Horrible translation/dialogue. One example of the DQVII's dialogue is my sig.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 10:32:42 AM »

Seven was fantastic if you were the type who loved investing hundreds of hours into shit.

In other words, MMORPG players.

Just offline.

With less content.

And no titties.

... fuck DQ7. You're right.

This.

Also, yes to DQ IV on DS. That's what I'd play to get psyched for IX. :)

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »

VIII. The best game in the last 10 years easily.

JP

Corrected.

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2009, 11:09:29 AM »

I loved DQ7....real sense of adventure and exploration that many RPG's don't deliver on.

Yes, it was archaic, overly long and should've ended many times when it just kept going, but damn if it wasn't fun to play.
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 01:12:28 PM »

I'm surprised there's so much love for DQVIII, the game was so slow, DQIX looks like it'll be faster even with the free position battles. I'd still recommend it over DQVII though and it does have the best localization I've ever seen. On the handheld side definitely go for DQV, or DQIII if you can get a hold of it and have a GBA to play it on still.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 01:14:13 PM by jj984jj » Logged
sandiny0ursh0es

sandiny0ursh0es
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »

I've only played 4 and 8, and I would recommend them both. 8 is definitely one of the best games the genre has to offer.

fates

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 01:33:17 PM »

If you hated DQ7 chances are you won't like the upcoming DQ6 very much either.

Or, it depends on why you didn't like DQ7. If you hated it for the grind, well DQ6 is similar on a slightly smaller scale. If it was because DQ7 took forever to get interesting, well in this case DQ6's plot starts as soon as you select "New Game".

Similarly, you might not like IX depending on how it handles it's job grind too.

4 is a great place to start, as is 8. I found 8 to be a little slow sometimes, compared to how fast the other DQ games are. 5... well, it's good, but it's heavy story driven... and if the story doesn't really grab you, the whole experiences kinda feels underwhelming, as was the case when I played it. It's a good game, no doubt, but something about it didn't quite feel right sometimes. Probably not a good place to start.

1-3 are hard to find and 6 probably isn't very newbie friendly either. And 7... well the comments in the thread speak enough for that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: