Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 20, 2014, 07:24:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334468 Posts in 13702 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Which Dragon Quest game should I play?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Which Dragon Quest game should I play?  (Read 5391 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 05:06:10 PM »

Or, it depends on why you didn't like DQ7. If you hated it for the grind

Wait DQ7 required grinding..?

Dragon Quest was my favorite JRPG series last year but I doubt I'd like them very much now.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 05:23:08 PM »

I really liked VIII.  It's one of the few games that I played the completionist mainly because of the bonus material.  If you want a deep, engaging story I'd suggest you look elsewhere.  In any event, if you want a game that provides some decent entertainment, especially considering you should be able to pick it up for $20 nowadays, it wouldn't hurt to pick it up and give it a go....
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2009, 05:34:07 PM »

i have only played DQ8 and DQ1 i thought DQ1 was pretty good at the time when i played it. i mean hurtmore and healmore are totally awesome names for spells. i however thought DQ8 was total ass,and am having a hard time understanding why it is so beloved here. in dungeons i often found myself running from every fight to perserve my resources for bosses since i could not figure out an efficient way to dispatch normal enemies. compounding this was the fact that mp restoring item appeared to be incredibly rare. wich led to me being under leveled. and when i tried to grind to get some levels it took FOREVER to level so i eventually said fuck this and sold it back to gamestop. if i remember correctly i think the lost boss i fought was dhoulmagus and he makes 2 clones or something. it was almost like an mmo where you have to go back to town anytime you want to heal.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2009, 07:06:29 PM »

DQ dungeon formula goes as follows

Explore a bit, get treasure, leave, rest save.

Go back in, explore until boss, leave, rest save.

Go straight to boss and destroy him.

It's quite simple.

Once you get the exit and teleport spells it becomes less of a hassle.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2009, 07:16:53 PM »

in dungeons i often found myself running from every fight to perserve my resources for bosses since i could not figure out an efficient way to dispatch normal enemies.

DQ8 is a really easy game. How far did you even get in it?

o/` I do not dream o/`

Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »

in dungeons i often found myself running from every fight to perserve my resources for bosses since i could not figure out an efficient way to dispatch normal enemies.

i got to a battle against dhoulmagus. i know it was sometime after you get access to the tiger.

It's quite simple.

therin lies the problem. i was trying to do every dungeon in one run since thats how it's done in most rpg's

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2009, 06:38:12 PM »

i however thought DQ8 was total ass

Wow, you are definitely entitled to your opinion and I am not an elitist who thinks that my opinion is better. With that said, let me save you some time.  When you see "RPGFan review by John P. Hussey"--just skip it. Don't bother. I can't imagine us agreeing on any game.

JP
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2009, 07:06:19 PM »

i usually read all the reviews here before purchasing a game so i can build a repoire with reviewers that i trust. currently highest on my list is ramza. however when i bought DQ8 it was an impulse purchase because it was $20.

jphussey

hussman12
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2009, 07:54:12 PM »

I'm not going to lie--Ramza is pretty sexy. I used to visit this site just to stare at his avatar.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 02:48:47 AM »

GENTLEMEN

Thanks for the advice. I've been waiting for the special moment for a while now but after much consideration, I've decided that DQ IX will be my first. I'm sure it will be confusing and awkward just like my first...never mind.

My lack of familiarity with the series may invalidate my opinion with some, but will also make my review more powerful in that I won't be bringing any baggage or expectations.

I'm definitely going to give DQ VIII a spin, and I'll start IV once Infinite Space finishes kicking my ass.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 07:13:12 AM »

That'll be fun - look forward to reading your thoughts about the game ^^;

As for the dungeon crawling, it did get a little tedious in VIII.... like it does in most DQ games.  I put up with it because what the series has meant to me throughout the years.  I remember they used to give out DQ I to subscribers of Nintendo Power!  Then DQ III was one of the first, if not the first rpg to have a day/night cycle.

Of course, add on top the quirky humor that comes out in the battles, along with other distinct features (yes I know the FF series had some 'risqué' dancers, but nothing made me laugh as hard as puff-puff when I first saw it.  VIII even has a nice homage to it, but it's kinda hidden... anywho.)

Anywho, here's to looking forward to IX!
daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 09:23:51 AM »

i got to a battle against dhoulmagus. i know it was sometime after you get access to the tiger.

It's quite simple.

therin lies the problem. i was trying to do every dungeon in one run since thats how it's done in most rpg's

Well, it still does follow the old school approach, the original FF game was the same way. Most games these days basically allow you to progress through the game in a linear fashion without much grinding, DQ has kept to its roots for the most part.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 10:03:15 AM »

All this heaping praise is making me want to play DQ8.  I've successfully avoided it until now because the only DQ game I've ever liked was 3, but maybe I'll have to drop the $8 on this one.

Dammit, I have a big enough backlog already.  You guys are jerks.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 05:20:08 PM »

I don't think any dragon quest game after 2 has really required much grinding, if any at all.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 05:51:47 PM »

That's honestly the most difficult fight in the entire game. You kinda need Multiheal to get through it since he hits your entire fucking party nonstop. With only single-target heal spells, you'll probably never win. The game gets easier after that, and way cooler. But that goddamn boss fight is easily one of the hardest bosses evar.

Unless you have Multiheal, then you just beat his goddamn ass.

My lack of familiarity with the series may invalidate my opinion with some, but will also make my review more powerful in that I won't be bringing any baggage or expectations.
Now that's something I can respect, and a fantastic way to go about reviewing a huge cult-followed game. I applaud your choice, and quite look forward to your review.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 05:53:31 PM by Dios GX » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: