Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2014, 04:07:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319825 Posts in 13050 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  JRPGs are total shit, WRPGs are THE shit
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: JRPGs are total shit, WRPGs are THE shit  (Read 31059 times)
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2009, 08:25:46 AM »

Discuss.

D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 08:44:54 AM »

It's hard to discuss fact.  It's like debating gravity.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 08:48:09 AM »

What about Japanese WRPGs like later Wizardry titles or Western JRPGs like Anachronox or Black Sigil?  (I know there are few examples of these, but I thought I'd throw it in there to be a jackhole.)  *in best Bugs Bunny voice* "Ain't I a stinker?" 

After all, my sig quote used to be "My favorite JRPG isn't even Japanese." 

I approve of this nonsense!
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 09:55:05 AM »

Every WRPG I've played was awful, unless you count Romancing SaGa as a WRPG.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 09:58:45 AM »

jrpgs + too many kids = awful

wrpgs + bald space marine = awesome!

Playing: A Link Between Worlds
Reading: Cosmos by Carl Sagan
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 10:13:52 AM »

I thought RPGs used to be one genre... Now it's JRPG and WRPG.

I grew up more with "JRPGs", so there.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Dizzy

死ぬがよい

awe.of.she.1@gmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 10:26:00 AM »

jrpgs need more brown in their color scheme so they can be cool like wrpgs too

SHAZAAM!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 10:31:10 AM by Dizzy » Logged

Jet16

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 12:42:45 PM »

Every WRPG I've played was awful, unless you count Romancing SaGa as a WRPG.

This, but not to that extent. I loathe games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion, hell I'd rather have to play a Tri-Ace game then play those again, and I shudder when I think of Tri-Ace games. However, Mass Effect, Star Wars Kotor, The Witcher and Jade Empire were alright.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 01:28:26 PM »

Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 02:00:50 PM »

I was a total JRPG fan up until a few short years ago. Hated Western RPG's because I thought they were too cumbersome and there was too much micro-management just so the developers could say their game had the most features. But, I'm slowly getting turned on to WRPG's what with Oblivion, Fable II and Sacred 2 holding my interest without becoming too bogged down in so many millions of features that you can't possible rememer them all. Still don't care for Might And Magic/Wizardry/Ultima style games.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 02:05:38 PM »

WRPGs are awesome because I can wonder around for hours with nothing to do... just like real life!

JRPGs are shit because stylization is for gay athiestic anti-Americans; the real world isn't made up of colorfull backdrops and artful expression, so why should games?

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 02:08:49 PM »

SUBGENRES MOTHERFUCKER

No seriously, think of how action RPGs aren't simply called RPGs, and how JRPGs/WRPGs are typically at least as different from each other as Action RPGs are from turn-based RPGs or tactical RPGs. With that it makes sense to go JRPGs and WRPGs, they aren't really different genres since they fall under the same umbrella, but they're different enough to deserve seperate labels.

Plus if Namco can be twits and give each Tales its own 'thematic genre' then JRPG/WRPG is innocent enough.

Prime Mover: You fucked up and put WRPGs where you meant to put MMOs. Or perhaps just Everquest-based MMOs, whatever.
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »

Only really good "WRPG" I've played in recent memory was Mass Effect. Fable II was terrible, Fable I was also terrible, Fallout 3 was kinda neat. Persona 3 and 4 both held my attention longer than any of those (sans Mass Effect), as did Tales of the Abyss.

Don't really feel one way or another about this issue. Depends on the games out at the time. For all their purported "innovation", WRPGs don't necessarily do things right or well. Complication can often breed a nice big mess, or a lot of blah. Oblivion comes to mind. Similarly, JRPGs may follow a rather static model, and yes the majority are boring because of it, but by the same token it's rather hard to get things wrong.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 02:16:36 PM »

Similarly, JRPGs may follow a rather static model, and yes the majority are boring because of it, but by the same token it's rather hard to get things wrong.

On the other hand there's practically no point to playing more than a few because you've seen everything before. Meanwhile, there aren't many RPGs like Mass Effect, so it's fresh and exciting. Not that having more of the same is inherently bad, but typically I'll warm up more to retro styled games that are just going to be samey.
ULTROS!
People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Contributing Editor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 02:22:18 PM »

SUBGENRES MOTHERFUCKER

No seriously, think of how action RPGs aren't simply called RPGs, and how JRPGs/WRPGs are typically at least as different from each other as Action RPGs are from turn-based RPGs or tactical RPGs. With that it makes sense to go JRPGs and WRPGs, they aren't really different genres since they fall under the same umbrella, but they're different enough to deserve seperate labels.

Plus if Namco can be twits and give each Tales its own 'thematic genre' then JRPG/WRPG is innocent enough.

Prime Mover: You fucked up and put WRPGs where you meant to put MMOs. Or perhaps just Everquest-based MMOs, whatever.

Damn subgenres. Making things harder.

Action RPG, SRPG, WRPG, JRPG, WTFRPG = RPG

I just hate it when people go WRPG vs. JRPG or when lots of people don't claim Valkyria Chronicles as an RPG (SRPG) but a Strategy Shooter something something.

"I feel ugly, I need a hard drink" - Maribel of Dragon Quest VII

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: