Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 22, 2014, 05:38:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329435 Posts in 13496 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  JRPGs are total shit, WRPGs are THE shit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print
Author Topic: JRPGs are total shit, WRPGs are THE shit  (Read 32082 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2009, 03:22:14 PM »

WRPGs are not good because they don't have kawaii characters and a fun storyline.

JRPGs are the best because I can pretend like im really in japanese highschool. sugoi <3~
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2009, 03:24:00 PM »

WRPGs suck. Freedom of choice scares me. Now I'm going to play Tales of the Abyss and appreciate the irony.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2009, 03:34:53 PM »

What scares me is I can't tell who's being sarcastic in this thread and who's not :(

Its okay though who needs a storylines like (HUGE Mass Effect + Oblivion Spoilers)
Code:
all life in the galaxy being farmed for energy by alien machines or reality actually being just another god's plane of existence

I would far prefer collecting crystals and leveling my character mindlessly and repetitively against easy enemies for dozens of hours to gain the secret sword to defeat the flamboyant villain and various optional side bosses. Airship always included.
Buddy

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2009, 04:11:53 PM »

Fable II was terrible,

If by terrible you mean funnest game of 2008, I agree!
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 04:40:34 PM »

WRPG's suck because RPG gameplay is a means to an end.  If you just want to see bigger numbers, play with your calculator!  Think of a fun action game with a meaningless story, then replace the gameplay with that of an RPG.  If you could pause the game and queue 5 goombas to automatically jump on when you unpaused, Super Mario would suck.

Yet, KotOR is one of the best games I've played.  I still need to play Mass Effect, so until then, I'm just going to say that sandbox RPG's are not as good as linear ones.  Enjoying the freedom of a sandbox requires self motivation that I lack.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:47:36 PM by Fei » Logged

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 04:48:29 PM »

Fei you seem to be confusing CRPGs from the 1990s with modern day WRPGs!

In fact I would say almost all modern WRPGs are now action based with stats mixed in the background, or taking more place in gear selection.

The only newer WRPG touching on that design that I can think of would be Dragon Age
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 05:40:37 PM »

If you could pause the game and queue 5 goombas to automatically jump on when you unpaused, Super Mario would suck.

How is that any worse than turn-based combat?
Dios GX
Banninated

dios@hidoshi.com GSaviourPrime
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 05:48:48 PM »

Discuss.

This coming from the guy who ranted endlessly and forever about how much he enjoyed BoF4? I mean, my own distaste for the game aside, you're just being goofy now dude.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2009, 05:53:33 PM »

JRPGs are the best because I can pretend like im really in japanese highschool. sugoi <3~

I shudder to think what would happen if somebody actually attempted to approach a Japanese girl by reenacting what the protagonist in a typical high-school love adventure does.

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2009, 06:08:34 PM »

HEY GUYS WHATS GOING ON IN HERE HEHEHEHEHEHE
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2009, 06:12:09 PM »

More and more damning evidence that technology ruined JRPGs.
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2009, 06:21:56 PM »

WTFRPG

This is my favorite subgenre.

And I will yet again link to this.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »

I thought RPGs used to be one genre... Now it's JRPG and WRPG.

SUBGENRES MOTHERFUCKER

No seriously, think of how action RPGs aren't simply called RPGs, and how JRPGs/WRPGs are typically at least as different from each other as Action RPGs are from turn-based RPGs or tactical RPGs. With that it makes sense to go JRPGs and WRPGs, they aren't really different genres since they fall under the same umbrella, but they're different enough to deserve seperate labels.

Plus if Namco can be twits and give each Tales its own 'thematic genre' then JRPG/WRPG is innocent enough.

Prime Mover: You fucked up and put WRPGs where you meant to put MMOs. Or perhaps just Everquest-based MMOs, whatever.

Damn subgenres. Making things harder.

Action RPG, SRPG, WRPG, JRPG, WTFRPG = RPG

I just hate it when people go WRPG vs. JRPG or when lots of people don't claim Valkyria Chronicles as an RPG (SRPG) but a Strategy Shooter something something.

So what do you call a Knights in the Nightmare?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2009, 06:33:21 PM »

More and more damning evidence that technology ruined JRPGs.

Reminds me that animu style usually doesn't render well in 3d, unless it's cel-shaded.

And WTFRPG rocks, best subgenre ever.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2009, 06:35:28 PM »

So what do you call a Knights in the Nightmare?

That was the last genre he gave.

And honestly that's not strictly anime-ish, Star Ocean 4 is an example of why anime doesn't necessarily work in 3D without cel shading. There are some good examples, I'm sure, but they have to be a bit more realistically proportioned or stylized in a way that works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: