Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 12:22:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341159 Posts in 13944 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  JRPGs are total shit, WRPGs are THE shit
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print
Author Topic: JRPGs are total shit, WRPGs are THE shit  (Read 32631 times)
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: July 16, 2009, 05:39:20 PM »

Might and Magic 6/8

What the hell, M&M8 is like universally regarded as being really bad.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: July 16, 2009, 06:10:17 PM »

I have no idea and really don't care all that much, what's sure is that it's similar to the 6th, so quality-wise both are in the same vein. MM6/8 is offering the same parallel as Phantasy Star 2/4, really.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 06:16:16 PM by Indy » Logged

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: July 16, 2009, 07:04:45 PM »

MM6/8 is offering the same parallel as Phantasy Star 2/4, really.

http://screengrabx.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/face-melt.jpg

o/` I do not dream o/`

Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 16, 2009, 08:07:09 PM »

I'm going to have to assume this is in reverse (2 to 8, 4 to 6) because Phantasy Star II has not aged well. At all. I'm willing to play PSIV still, but as much as I liked PSII the flaws it has are too heavy for me to seriously want to play through ever again.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2009, 02:12:13 AM »

To branch off from the eroge (which the following is part of):  Japanese graphic adventures vs. Western graphic adventures. 

I don't think I've ever played a Western graphic adventure or visual novel.  Never had any interest in adventure games like Myst.  Roaming around a virtual world as a single character--platforming and solving puzzles and such--is not something that appeals to me much, which is probably why I don't like Bethesda RPGs.  I need a steady flow of character interaction and character development, which is something Japanese visual novels (and RPGs) have in abundance.  I definitely shy away from solo-based adventure and roleplaying games, as opposed to party-based RPGs, although gameplay mechanics plays a role in that as well (action vs strategy focus).

My main interests topic-wise are Japanese culture (particularly anime culture) and high fantasy; I'm also somewhat into sci-fi.  Thus I'm into Japanese visual novels, but never had much interest in a Western equivalent.  It's the same way for me with TV.  There's just very little that interests me on American TV as far as fiction goes; I'd rather watch documentaries really.  In that perspective, Western RPGs are an anomaly; I probably like a number of them because the genre happens, by some odd turn of fate, to be almost exclusively sci-fi or fantasy oriented.  If the games were more like Grand Theft Auto with a more statistics-based RPG system, I probably would have little interest in Western RPGs.  I imagine the root of it all is that I play video games for escape.  If they're too similar to reality, particularly this culture I've been immersed in my entire life, I get bored.  Anime, fantasy, and sci-fi are all exotic, and that's why they hold my interest.

Note that the link below contains some MAJOR SPOILERS for King's Quest VI. You have been warned.

Man you're missing out on some great writing then. Just check this out and see why.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: July 17, 2009, 02:42:38 AM »

I'm going to have to assume this is in reverse (2 to 8, 4 to 6) because Phantasy Star II has not aged well. At all. I'm willing to play PSIV still, but as much as I liked PSII the flaws it has are too heavy for me to seriously want to play through ever again.

It's not reverse. PSII is very difficult and has a slow progress, exactly like MM6 is.
PS4 and MM8 are the faster, light-hearted, more eye-candy and easier versions of their glorious predecessors.

MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: July 17, 2009, 05:14:54 PM »

PS4 and MM8 are the faster, light-hearted, more eye-candy and easier versions of their glorious predecessors.

M&M8 has the exact same engine as 6 and the only addition is moving during combat, taken from 7, I assume. In other words they move at the exact same speed.
Every M&M game is fairly light-hearted.

M&M8 does not have anything you could possibly call eye candy. That game looked fucking horrible. Hell, 6 didn't look very good either, and they used the exact same engine.

No comment on the difficulty, but M&M4, 5, 6, and 7 weren't exactly difficult games.

Additionally.

PS4 has some jokes, but I don't think you could really call it lighthearted. I'm also not sure how dark you could say PS2 is. It has dark moments, but the writing is beyond sparse.

PS4 is certainly faster and easier than PS2, but PS2 was a tedious grindfest and I'd have a hard time calling it glorious.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Ikcotyck

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: August 01, 2009, 01:55:19 PM »

Great topic, but I would think this has probably been talked about to death on these boards (though I am new here).

In my opinion, one of the greatest RPGs of all time has to be Planescape Torment (I know, CRPG, but others have been talking about Baldur's Gate 2 and KOTOR, both excellent RPGs in their own right).

On the JRPG side, Chrono Trigger, pretty much every FF (especially FF6 and FF7), and Vagrant Story are among my favorites. 

My issue with RPGs is not so much about JRPG/WRPG but about how they're produced nowadays.

I could not stand Fable 2.  There is barely any plot and the what little there is was executed very poorly.  The focus seemed more to be on the novelty of doing whatever you want rather than delivering a real RPG.  Mass Effect was decent but the side missions were lame and pointless.  I think if I stuck with the main story, I would have enjoyed it more (but even that was quite shallow and the characters weren't that interesting).  Jade Empire was alright but way too short.  Fallout 3 was decent but way too much empty space.  Fallout 2 probably spoiled me but I thought it was darker and more interesting than Fallout 3.  I think generally the newer WRPGs seem to fall closer to the modern tradition of short and pretty games than the old tradition (e.g. BG2, Fallout 2 and games in that era), which I find rather disappointing.

On the other hand, some of the flawed JRPGs I have played recently include Star Ocean 4, Tales of Vesperia, Lost Odyssey, Last Remnant, SMT Persona 3.  There just isn't enough depth in these games in my view.

It's not a matter of which genre is better but whether the game has been executed properly.  A lot of these games have tons of potential - every one of them could have been a classic if a bit more heart was put into them.  Still, I'll play all the RPGs I can get as there seem to be fewer and fewer as the years go by.
Megidolaon
60MP of DOOM
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: August 01, 2009, 02:48:57 PM »

Great topic? WTF?
So basically a troll drops a braindead oneliner and people continue for 13 pages about BS.
Ikcotyck

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: August 01, 2009, 03:30:04 PM »

Yes it seems I did not read all the stuff in the last few pages, although it was quite entertaining to read it
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: August 02, 2009, 01:59:14 AM »

SMT Persona 3.  There just isn't enough depth in these games in my view.

what

o/` I do not dream o/`

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 02, 2009, 02:09:12 AM »

SMT Persona 3.  There just isn't enough depth in these games in my view.

what
That was about when I stopped reading. Too bad it was almost at the end of his post.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: August 02, 2009, 01:04:44 PM »

The guy likes Vagrant Story, so he's not totally lost. Persona 3 might not have"THE" deepest plot out there, but it surely has rich and well written characters. Considering that 98% of RPGs with teen characters are mostly bad cliche-fests it's a very welcome change to see the opposite.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 02, 2009, 04:56:37 PM »

Persona 3 might not have"THE" deepest plot out there, but it surely has rich and well written characters. Considering that 98% of RPGs with teen characters are mostly bad cliche-fests it's a very welcome change to see the opposite.

I was assuming he meant gameplay (which still could use an explanation from him), because if looking for a deep story is the concern then he can go ahead and give up now.
Gen Eric Gui

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: August 02, 2009, 06:30:04 PM »

I would say exactly the same thing about him not finding depth in The Last Remnant.  I mean, seriously?  If you get any deeper then TLR, you start to become completely incomprehensible.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: