Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2014, 12:01:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318967 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How long is looooooooooooooong?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: How long is looooooooooooooong?  (Read 7196 times)
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2009, 12:35:45 PM »

Nowadays I prefer games that I can finish in around 30h. It's time enough to develop a nice story, characters and complete most, if not all side-quests. However, once in a while I like to take on major time consuming games (like DQ8 or Persona 3, both completed around 80~90h).
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2009, 01:26:13 PM »

The shorter a RPG is, the better.  Twenty hours is a good length to me.

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2009, 01:33:52 PM »

30-60h for me. I used to preach "the longer the better", but that was before inflation took the average RPG time up to 120+ hours. I have played some amazing games that are in the 80-100 range (SuikoV, Tales of the Abyss, DQVIII), but then again, I've played some amazing 5-10 hour games (Ico, SotC). For the most part, even with the games that are above 60 hours, they could usually have been tightened up a bit. Like FF12 took me about 130h, but it didn't FEEL all that long when I went back and thought about it, it just felt like a shorter game with a lot of grinding and backtracking.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2009, 02:03:36 PM »

These days, I get a bit burnt out if an RPG is longer than 30 hours.  A big exception is most Megami Tensei games, which I can usually play for 70-100+ hours and not feel burnt out at all.  Exceptions include DemiKids (I was glad to be done with those) and oddly enough Persona 4 (I felt burnt out on P4 after 62 hours.) 

Funny enough I started to feel burnt out on P4 around the 60 hour mark as well.  Luckily, it only took me about 62-63 hours to beat.

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2009, 02:13:32 PM »

These days, I get a bit burnt out if an RPG is longer than 30 hours.  A big exception is most Megami Tensei games, which I can usually play for 70-100+ hours and not feel burnt out at all.  Exceptions include DemiKids (I was glad to be done with those) and oddly enough Persona 4 (I felt burnt out on P4 after 62 hours.) 

Funny enough I started to feel burnt out on P4 around the 60 hour mark as well.  Luckily, it only took me about 62-63 hours to beat.

Me too, slightly, I think. It took me about 90 hours, though, to finish it.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2009, 02:33:54 PM »

I usually hit the burnout point at around 13 hours, unless I really love the game. It happens like clockwork. And if I don't get burnt out at 13 hours, I get burnt out at 25.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2009, 09:31:56 AM »

Nothing is too short for me. Im with Neal--Id prefer about 20 hours.

I'm the same. I used to love longer games, but the older I get the less I like games that are long.

Ryos
I can has demons?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2009, 05:43:03 PM »

I'm a big fan of epic length games.  I may never get around to finishing them, but the longer the better.  Heck, I'm pretty sure I've got a couple hundred hours in Morrowind without bothering to pursue the ending.  If there's no timer around to show how much time I've spent in a game though, that sort of annoys me.  Speaking of Morrowind...

Now this isn't to say I wouldn't enjoy a short game.  I just like getting to spend more time in a game.

It's never too late to start learning; it's always too early to stop learning.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2009, 07:00:36 PM »

i'm alarmed at how many people want shorter rpg's. if i'm gonna pay $60 for a 360 or ps3 rpg it damn well better last me 60-100 hours wich is about a week and a half of game time for me. though i suppose if i actually had any illusions about having a family i might want shorter rpg's too. i guess it's lucky for me that my girlfriend is a nurse and pulls a lot of double shifts due to her job being understaffed. i can however stomach shorter rpg's if they are for psp,DS,wii since the games for those systems are cheaper. however it's worth mentioning if i like a game i often play through it multiple times. both P3 and P4 i played through twice, and ar tonelico i completed 3 times however on my second playthrough i made an alternate save to save a little time.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 07:03:58 PM by Alisha » Logged

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2009, 07:05:04 PM »

I've been favoring shorter RPGs as of late, my interest in Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume was actually heightened by hearing how short the game could be, though I didn't bother buying it until GameStop put it on sale. Feeling something is too short can still crop up though, I was disappointed with how MGS4 pretty much dropped the gameplay it was hyped for about half way through and went completely off course.
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »

I prefer shorter games. I'll take a 20-40 RPG concise RPG over a 60 hour RPG that convolutes its plot just to add longevity. There are obviously some games I don't mind being long, but I beat the long games. DQVIII was the only long game I got burnt out on because I spent half of my time level grinding. I'll play a Korean MMO if I want to level grind.
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »

i think a lot of you have the wrong idea. lets take for example FFXII. the plot itself is pretty short and compact. so a lot of the milage is from actual gameplay and thats exactly what i want. i dont want stuff like xenosaga 1 where much of the length comes from the presentation of the plot.

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2009, 08:26:14 PM »

Or you have some games where they add crap just to lengthen the game.

Eternal Sonata
Code:
Having to find the inn keeper son to stay the night at Forte was a lame way to introduce a new dungeon to the game, and there wasn't even a boss at the end...BS.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2009, 08:30:44 PM »

Perhaps games whose appeal is in the characters' interactions are better off being shorter because you'll get tired of the characters eventually and be left with a less interesting plot to finish.

Anyway, if I don't finish a game, it doesn't sit right in my memory.  I loved playing VP2, but never finished it; I can't bring myself to say it was as good of a game as it was, for some reason.  The best way I can describe it is like eating delicious food, but having to spit it out.  Swallowing your food doesn't make it taste better, but it is what makes it satisfying to me.

Then there is Fallout 3, which I beat without seeing half of the content.  I beat the main storyline, but wanted to go back and see everything else because... it was like swallowing air?  I need to drop the food analogy... but the shortness of the story in Fallout 3 doesn't fit in with my theory.  Damn sandbox.

I would personally prefer the games that I got 50+ hours into without finishing ended before getting stale.  It's all about reflecting on the whole experience.

The weekend rockstars are in the toilet, practicing their lines...
Alisha

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »

that makes me wonder how many people here actually finished VP2. i mean its not that hard if you know the mechanics. but if you dont it can be punishing. i completed it 3 times SG and all with different parties.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: