Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:37:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327149 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  How long is looooooooooooooong?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: How long is looooooooooooooong?  (Read 7701 times)
dalucifer0
시발놈

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »

I completed FFXII in 65-66 hours doing no sidequests. I spent around 30 hours just grinding because 1) the inactive characters don't get ANY experience and 2) shit costs too much. The ending was easier for me having all 6 characters at level 50, so switching characters on the fly helped me beat the game. I also like having the best shit you can buy for a final boss. FFXII is really a 30 hour game, but the constant grinding needed (or wanted) doubled the game time. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed the game, but I hate artificial lengthening.

I'd much rather pay for a short, enjoyable $60 experience rather than a long, mediocre $60 experience.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2009, 09:37:50 PM »

If a single playthrough for a visual novel/love adventure is about 5-10 hours and there are 4-6 girls whose storyline branches you can follow, that's 20-60 hours of play right there.  I like shorter playthroughs but lots of replay value.  And New Game Plus, please. 

I felt more satisfied and got my money's worth with Trace Memory which, though it was only 3-6 hours long, was the best 3-6 hours I ever spent with my DS as opposed to some uber-long, boring-ass game that was too long for its own good. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 06:50:40 AM by Dincrest » Logged

I approve of this nonsense!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2009, 11:12:30 PM »

FFXII's artificial lengthening is less grinding and more positively interminable dungeons. They're not even INTERESTING dungeons. They're just empty deserts half the time.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

AJR
Totally groovy

Oh, this burning beard.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2009, 11:55:55 PM »

i'm alarmed at how many people want shorter rpg's. if i'm gonna pay $60 for a 360 or ps3 rpg it damn well better last me 60-100 hours wich is about a week and a half of game time for me.

See, I rarely pay full price for games, and a 30-40 hour RPG will last me at least a month. Christ, Iíve been playing Fallout 3 for weeks on end, and Iím still nowhere near the end.

I completed FFXII in 65-66 hours doing no sidequests. I spent around 30 hours just grinding because 1) the inactive characters don't get ANY experience and 2) shit costs too much.

I donít get that complaint, because I never grinded in FFXII. Sure, I did the hunts, and I very quickly realised that stealing from almost every enemy would help me in the long run, but there was never a point where I just ran around in circles to get XP and money. Then again, I didnít really bother much with levelling up the three members who werenít in my party.

The complaint about the layout and design of the dungeons though? Yeah, that's true. They were pretty to look at initially, but I wish there was more interesting stuff to do in them.

Earth-2.net is a website where I occasionally type words about entertaining pieces of media.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2009, 12:50:45 AM »

i think a lot of you have the wrong idea. lets take for example FFXII. the plot itself is pretty short and compact. so a lot of the milage is from actual gameplay and thats exactly what i want. i dont want stuff like xenosaga 1 where much of the length comes from the presentation of the plot.

It certainly needs to exist a balance between plot and exploration. If the plot can really be told in less time, the main quest shouldn't be extended just for the sake of it. Of course, extra quests and all that stuff is apart, but if the main path feels like it's just dragging, and the story is not offering anything new, then what's the point? You're just going to get exhausted by playing the damn thing, and will eventually drop it.

I do have to agree, 20hrs is usually too short for me. That said, and once more, it depends of the game. I finished FFIV (american snes version) in 20 something hours, and the game never felt too short. I finished Star Ocean First Departure not long ago, with a similar time, and i felt dissapointed at how short it was. Then again, the story in FFIV was fantastic, SOFD has an ok plot, but nothing that hook me up that strong.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2009, 01:08:33 AM »

so a lot of the milage is from actual gameplay

That's totally true but if a game is mostly gameplay then the gameplay should be good.

Zing!

the story in FFIV was fantastic

No it wasn't.

Zing!

Anyway.

Here's the thing. If a game is fun, I'm going to play it a lot, no matter how long the game is. If a game is actually fun, replaying it should be fun too. So if you play a ten hour game through six times, you've still got 60 hours of gameplay there. Well, I mean, I personally wouldn't do this. I have a very short attention span. This is why I don't have well-formed opinions on anything and you shouldn't trust a damn thing I say because it's probably all lies.

Economically speaking, though, I'm also not sure why I buy new games since i never finish them and i really worry that it's not because I actually ENJOY them but rather I'm just marginally interested in their gameplay concepts, and I'm a consumer whore.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

daschrier

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 08:41:06 AM »

FF12 was set up as more of an MMORPG. I spent more time on this game than any other, about 120 hours, just because it was so fun to play. Yes, the plot itself wasn't very long, but exploring all the dungeons and optional areas was entertaining to me.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 09:07:29 PM »

See, I rarely pay full price for games, and a 30-40 hour RPG will last me at least a month.

WORD.

This is why I have such a huge back log of games, cause I love hunting for deals.  So, I have a huge list of games to not only finish, but start.  And I have no problem dropping ten or fifteen bucks when I find a game, even if I don't play it for awhile.  Stella Deus for 11 bucks, Last Remnant for 10, Soul Nomad for 30, Ar Tonelico for 10, Shining Force Exa for 4.99.

And even if a game isn't particularily good, I'm looking at you Last Remnant, I've gotten at least a good 30 hours entertainment out of my 10 dollars.  :P

...And having a full time job at a bank, I need a game to be short to even remotely finish it.

ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2009, 12:00:34 AM »

No it wasn't.

You fly inside a giant whale to the moon. End of discussion.

Here's the thing. If a game is fun, I'm going to play it a lot, no matter how long the game is. If a game is actually fun, replaying it should be fun too. So if you play a ten hour game through six times, you've still got 60 hours of gameplay there. Well, I mean, I personally wouldn't do this. I have a very short attention span. This is why I don't have well-formed opinions on anything and you shouldn't trust a damn thing I say because it's probably all lies.

Economically speaking, though, I'm also not sure why I buy new games since i never finish them and i really worry that it's not because I actually ENJOY them but rather I'm just marginally interested in their gameplay concepts, and I'm a consumer whore.

Yeah but....don't you hate most RPG's anyway? So, what's the point?
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 10:13:18 PM »

Nope, my RPGS need to last only 30 seconds long, and we all know what game covers that.

Seriously: 20-40 hours. I don't have time to fetch material to make an item to get an item for a person who will give me an item to make another item to get another and so on. Cut all that stuff out, give me a game I can play and enjoy. Secret characters and endings? I don't want to hear it, especially if the characters are squeaky voiced/twins or the endings is even more anticlimactic. If the ending shows the Deathstar exploding at the end of the game, I'll play 100 hours.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2009, 02:25:13 PM »

I think the main concern is quality over quantity. When I look back at my memories of playing games, ICO stands out as one of my most enjoyable... that was 7 hours of my life. FF12, on the other hand, I bearily ever find myself thinking about FF12, which took me about 130 hours. However, Okami and Twilight Princess were over 70 hours, and they were also incredibly enjoyable experiences. Quantity doesn't really matter, what matters to me is whether, at the end of the game, I can walk away with a wonderful memory.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ithunn

Hmph.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2009, 10:18:08 AM »

It depends significantly on my mood. If I work 40+ hours consistently for periods of time, but I'm reluctant to give up gaming, anything around the 25-30 hour range is perfect. I don't expect to beat games within two weeks anymore these days because of these newfound responsibilities. I still prefer games to be about 50 hours to complete - sidequesting, moderate powerleveling and item hoarding included.

I can cite a few games that improperly use its time in general that doesn't mesh well with the game's execution. I can also cite a few games that masterfully use their time, such as Suikoden V [currently playing]. Neither an intense storyline doesn't obligate 50 hours, nor a swift fairy tale book story obligate being under 30 hours. A game that I can certainly file under the "God why is this game so long?" is Xenogears. Man.
Fei

!?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 16, 2009, 03:26:32 PM »

I remember taking note on how long Xenogears was when I first beat it, but it didn't bother me... I actually praised its length, probably because I was so young, and had nothing better to do.

I doubt I'd be able to get all the way through it again.  *whistles Toys'R'Us theme*

If you re-spec your elduhz and own a Vita - http://twitter.com/BSNursery
Indy
Game Designer

Hey! Play Laxius Force!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 06:17:56 PM »

If I like a game very much, I could play it 1000 hours (given there is actually 1000 hours of content).
I absolutely adore very long games, if the quality is there.

Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: