Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 20, 2014, 11:41:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337767 Posts in 13830 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Why do people suck at grammar?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Why do people suck at grammar?  (Read 5005 times)
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2006, 08:39:52 PM »

As far as proofreading goes, it gets really difficult to check your work while typing after you get used to typing incorrectly. I can't tell you how many times I've been peer-correcting essays, and I run into people using "lol", "ur", etc. on a homework assignment. I can't imagine being the teacher grading that; I'd go insane.

While we're on typos, this also goes into slang and normal conversation: are you guys picky about the common errors (Subject-Verb: "I is")? People make these kinds of mistakes all the time, because they use them in normal speech. I think it ends up being the same way when you're typing over the internet, and sometimes even handwriting: It's not a matter of being lazy, I think it's a bad habit people pick up after being to the wrong sites.

Thank god I came to RPGFan, or else I'd be failing at essays. Hard.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2006, 09:19:44 PM »

I was just thinking, there are plenty of times when I would use improper grammar intentionally.  If I was writing a fictional story, there's no way I'd use proper written grammar during conversational segments, because then the dialogue wouldn't flow naturally like human conversation.  After all, we often don't speak the way we write.

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Angelo
Sephiroth's Girlfriend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2006, 09:45:23 PM »

It's generally acceptable that dialogue or inner monologue can and will deviate, since the objective is to reveal character.  It's even okay when it improves flow, as long as it doesn't happen too often.  After all, such a stunt is usually directed at the pedantic types, and the same get bored when there's a pattern of abuse.  :)

V-Dawg

PizMasta+V
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2006, 01:56:39 AM »

Glad to see I'm not the only one with such feelings.
Quote from: "The Darkrider"
I could never force myself to start using internet shorthand.  I spent too many years under the watchful eye of proofreading and editing teachers to start butchering the English language now.  It took several months of exposure to the internet before I could bring myself to use LOL, and I only started because there's no real other way of expressing that sentiment.

Even in something that's real-time, like instant messengers or IRC, I never say something that isn't in the form of a complete sentence.  That's just not how I roll.  When words are all you have to represent yourself, then common sense should tell you to put some fucking effort into it.

That's exactly the way I am. I don't think it takes a lot more time to stick in an apostrophe where appropriate or something along those lines. Hell, I still refuse to say "LOL" in any form or shape.

Quote from: "Dincrest"
EDIT: And V-Dawg- if you've read ANY of my recent reviews of Hirameki-published games on this site, you will see that my most consistent criticism of them is that their translations are in dire need of extra proofreading.  Content-wise they're fine, but technical errors are a sore spot.  However, I found games like Hourglass of Summer and Ever 17 so good that I was able to not let the technical errors hamper my enjoyment.

Yeah, I'm not picking on them or anything. Hell, it's not even that bad compared to some other stuff I've played. It's just the most recent thing that came to mind. I don't mind people forgetting about grammar when they're on their AIM or MSN Messenger. It just seems to me this misuse of grammar has seeped into so many other things including products like games, DVDs, etc. which, quite frankly, I find to be unacceptable. If I am going to spend my money on Company X's product, then they better damn well hire someone competent to proofread their stuff.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2006, 11:07:19 AM »

The degradation of the English language is spreading like a forest fire here in Malaysia. I personally blame cell phone messaging and the internet. Most students who are attempting to learn English as a second language at school are prone to confusion because of internet abbrevations and their understanding of basic grammer is becoming awry.

English is my mother tongue but as a child, there was a lot of emphasis on using correct spelling and grammer in the house. I've got to thank my parents someday. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Rico

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2006, 12:25:42 PM »

Quote from: "CastNuri"
English is my mother tongue but as a child, there was a lot of emphasis on using correct spelling and grammer in the house.

Grammar. ;)
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2006, 03:00:06 PM »

Quote from: "Rico"
Quote from: "CastNuri"
English is my mother tongue but as a child, there was a lot of emphasis on using correct spelling and grammer in the house.

Grammar. ;)

*gasps*

You didn't see that. :P

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Superflat
Podcast Mom

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2006, 12:02:51 PM »

I don't really know what to add to the conversation, but I try to use proper grammar and spelling for pretty much anything. The only problem is that my writing tends to sound a bit arrogant or pompous as a result of typing correctly.
everluck

stay positive!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2006, 12:38:47 PM »

You guys is writing good.

[/url]
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2006, 03:14:46 PM »

Quote from: "Dios GX"
Quote from: "The Darkrider"
That's why I not only allow people here to flame poor typists, but encourage it. :P

To this extent, I exist.

*Blast From The Past*

I remember that. All the food in my mouth immediately splattered all over my desk upon seeing that pic the first time. Hilarious. :P

Oh, and I feel dumb that it took me until this school year to find out that "its" is the possessive while "it's" is the contraction. I thought it was a context thing, like the word "wind."

-______-;
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: