Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 11:31:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327331 Posts in 13403 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Worst. Ending. Ever.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Worst. Ending. Ever.  (Read 12929 times)
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« on: July 13, 2009, 06:23:36 AM »

After 70 hours of awesome gameplay, amazing characters,  great music, and truly epic Arthur C. Clarke-esque story telling, Infinite Space has rewarded me with quite possibly THE MOST ANTI-CLIMATIC ENDING IN THE HISTORY OF RPG's!

I almost facepalmed myself to death when I saw the credits role. I swear, I'm going to strangle something. It isn't so much an ending as the game just stops progressing. It's at a really fascinating point in the narrative too, and there isn't even the suggestion of a possible sequel as consolation.

But enough about my pain, what about yours? Which game do you think had the worst. ending. ever....?

Be mindful; it's cool to say your opinion and game names, but if you're going to give away specific plot points, you might want to put up some spoiler shields.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Adol

AlxM316
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 07:53:17 AM »

Star Ocean:  Til the End of Time

I was enjoying the story and game in general until it started getting repetitive and unfortunately having an overly-large plot line that was abruptly ended.

Needless to say, this one game has kind of soured me on the Star Ocean franchise.

ShadowLaguna

Rattle your goddamn head!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 08:32:07 AM »

Final Fantasy X-2. The 100% ending. Do I seriously need to say more?

Wii Number - 1981 9892 1002 5530
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:50:41 AM »

It isn't so much an ending as the game just stops progressing.

Valkyrie Profile and Chrono Cross' default endings are like this. I've said it many times before, but the lengths you have to go to just to get a satisfactory ending in VP are downright ridiculous and illogical.
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 08:57:17 AM »

Akira, mate...  I'd really like to know what ruined the end of IS.  I was really looking forward to it.  :(  I don't mind spoilers, just use a tag for everyone else.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 09:19:05 AM »

Akira, mate...  I'd really like to know what ruined the end of IS.  I was really looking forward to it.  :(  I don't mind spoilers, just use a tag for everyone else.

Same here.

Also I can't say that Drakengard had a shitty ending since it got so WTF that it turned awesome again.
Code:
I don't think apocalypses can get more freaky than that.

Chrono Cross's ending was fairly disappointing too
Code:
That includes the good ending, but then again the extra endings were strangely kinda good.

Though I can't quite remember what Quest 64's ending was about. If I recall correctly you reseal the evil baddie after he go's on and on about something and that's it.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009, 09:46:04 AM »

Fucking Tri-Ace games, man. First they pull the bullshit ending with Valkyrie Profile and then they do it Infinite Undiscovery. If you've played either of those you will know what I'm talking about.
Akira
The Renegade of this Atomic Age

jonnybfbi
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009, 10:25:57 AM »

With as few spoilers as possible, here is my issue with the end of Infinite Space:

Code:
Basically, the whole universe is being destroyed by this invasion of these super powerful organic spaceships (reminded me of SO3 a bit) and you go off with all the major characters to seal the gate between our universe and theirs.  Where the gate is located is a really cool twist that I don't want to spoil, and the story up to that point has just gotten so trippy and awesome that you are expecting some sort of fateful confrontation between the main character and the godlike entiities that began the destruction. At the very least, you're hoping they will tie up some loose threads and explain the nature of the main character, his relationship with his antagonists who become friends near the end, and show what happens to the universe after the gate is sealed. Do the entities get angry and attack in another way? Do the main character and villains get along? What about all the planets that were destroyed and the crazy political strife and wars that you've fought over the last 30 hours of the game? Instead you get nothing. Just a random fight with some large enemy ship (not even a genuine last boss, just a slightly harder than normal enemy) a big explosion, then the credits roll. Could not be lamer. And what makes it so frustrating is that the story is so awesome up to that point. It is one of the only games that would have been justified in having a spacey, geeky, crazy philosophical ending, but instead they don't even try. It could have blown away Xenosaga, Mass Effect, and just about any major sci-fi RPG, but instead, no. Just credits, and fuck off. Sigh. Such a wasted opportunity.

"You must defeat my Dragon Punch to stand a chance."
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:07 AM »

Can't bring myself to highlight that sentence. I will brace myself for impact when I play it though :(
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009, 11:29:14 AM »

Secret of Mana.

Code:
Flammie dies, Sprite just gets sent off to god-knows-where, and intsead of conclusion it's like HEY RANDI LOOK IT'S SNOWING! and chirpy music plays. What?

DemiKids.

Code:
Everyone comes back to life and there's no explanation on who the hell the bad guys even were.

Secert of Evermore.

Code:
Sort of. The goofy "WAIT WAS IT ALL JUST A DREAM?" bit at the very end was stupid and sort of bizarre, especially since it wasn't.

There. That's every game I ever played to completion.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2009, 11:47:37 AM »

Even though Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines is my favourite WRPG (and one of my favourite RPGs), Kuei-jin ending sucked, real damn sucked. But amusingly it's my fault for choosing it , it's not like Caine (the taxi driver) doesn't hint at it. A gaijin will always be a gaijin.

Wasn't terribly excited by Persona 4's Normal Good Ending either. It was all a big mess.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 11:55:40 AM by Raziel » Logged
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2009, 12:11:40 PM »

Star Ocean:  Til the End of Time

I was enjoying the story and game in general until it started getting repetitive and unfortunately having an overly-large plot line that was abruptly ended.

Needless to say, this one game has kind of soured me on the Star Ocean franchise.

I totally agree, except for the souring part. The epic awfulness of the ending overshadows the plot twist IMO. Probably the most worthless-ass final boss fight ever too.

Code:
Honestly, you were fighting Luther to stop him from deleting the Eternal Sphere's data, only to have him DELETE IT when you beat him. Oh yeah, way to make me feel like I accomplished something.
ChevalierEagle

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2009, 01:06:22 PM »

The ending i got in Valkyrie Profile, which i guess is the bad ending, made me want to burn Tri-Ace's office.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 01:21:26 PM »

The ending i got in Valkyrie Profile, which i guess is the bad ending, made me want to burn Tri-Ace's office.

All of them are pretty bad.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2009, 01:51:07 PM »

Suikoden V - standard ending:

Something inside of me died that day. You have to get all 108 Stars of Destiny to get the good ending, and the standard ending is really really sad. Even with a guide, I ended up missing star one due to an error in the game (the guy who got turned into a tiger and the little girl suddenly are nowhere to be found after a certain point, even though they are supposed to be findable throughout the game), and the fact that your characters can perminantly die during the tactical battles (though rare)... it's almost like the creators didn't want the player to win.

So, after 100+ hours of shear joy and wonder:

Code:
Lyon, the girl who's been your confidant, protector mouthpiece, and even suggested romantic interest... DIES without warning. And the game ends in mourning.

Now, I can understand this for a bad ending, or an ending in which the good ending is really easy to achieve, but collecting all 108 stars is no easy feat, and many are missable after certain points. I remember reading the guide for some of them and thinking, "now, how in the hell would I have known to check this spot to find this guy?"

To say the least, I was misserable for the next few days.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: